• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I've been interested in buying a new .22 rifle. Also, being a bit of a surplus nut, I looked into milsurp .22's. I found a Romanian .22 at a local gun shop and proceeded to travel home and do some research. I loved what I read about the gun and decided to go back and buy it, but when I returned it was sold. I took this as a sign that I needed to reevaluate my decision. Would a new .22 for the price of this surplus .22 ($120) be better. Or is this military trainer rifle going to be more accurate and more reliable than a new rifle for the price. Help me make the right decision.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They used to be closer to $70, which is how they got the rep they have.

They are accurate enough for squirrel hunting and have nice hooded sights. Other than that they are unremarkable. Like a lot of surplus guns the condition varies, I've seen them with really sticky bolts, rough bores, worn out bluing. The mag binds in mine quite a bit.

Definitely decent rifles at $70 but I wouldn't spend $120 on one.

meldusty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    I have one and have had trouble loading from magazine. Had a gunsmith work on it but still have trouble, He blamed it on the cheap magazine. It is a very accurate rifle esp since I put a scope on it.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I used to have one that would do literal one hole groups at 40 yards or so, rested, with Remington subsonic.

Problem with these is that the parts are wearing out and almost impossible to replace. The extractor on mine broke and I had to fashion a new one myself.

The plus side is that they do have near-target-grade bores and if you get one with proper headspace it will be very accurate.

Josh

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I may pick one up for the collector value. Just to say I have one. If it works great, if it has problems, its cheap. I'm still in the process of finding one cheaper. I've found people who have bought them for quite a bit under $100, but that price seems rare now-a-days, any advice where I could find it cheaper? Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Once people realized what they had, the price doubled. I bought mine for $70 or so, but the going price is roughly double that now.

You might check Gunbroker and get lucky, but chances are that $120 is going to be the best you can find.

Josh

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    It is a great gun, I picked mine up for $55 about 6 years ago.
    With a small scope it will consistantly shoot a 20ga. empty shot shell off of a post at 100yds.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    i have mag issues with mine. bought another mag and it doesnt work well either.(the mags fall out or misfeed) for sale for 100$

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Glad someone asked... I thought about grabbing one of these at one time... I think I'll stick to my guns (haha) and keep an eye peeled for one of the US trainers.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Beautiful shooting. Thanks for all the info. If and when I do pick one up and have questions, I'll come to you. Appreciate the help.

JimSheldon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Park City, Kansas
    Once people realized what they had, the price doubled. I bought mine for $70 or so, but the going price is roughly double that now.

You might check Gunbroker and get lucky, but chances are that $120 is going to be the best you can find.

Josh

Josh, I managed to get one for $100. The stock was really ratty, so I stripped it and gave it a military "boiled linseed oil" finish. The receiver wasn't grooved on this one, so I drilled & tapped it. Used Weaver rail designed for a Ruger 10-22 as the "flat" top of the receiver was slightly rounded almost in the same profile as the Ruger. My firing pin was very sticky and wouldn't retract properly causing feed problems, so I went looking for a new one. Found a pair of them wrapped in paper located in the cleaning kit recess in the stock! I don't remember where I found it, but I picked up a cleaning kit somewhere. Put one of the FP's in that kit and stuck it back in the stock. My extractor, like yours was pretty crappy, so I was extremely happy to find your posts on making a new one. I didn't have to completely craft one, but just reshaped the claw to the profile you show in your pix. What a difference that made. Now, with the new firing pin/ejector and the reshaped extractor, all my feed and ejecting problems have gone away! Like yours, it's a great shooter and actually groups better than an Anschutz 1451ST I had. (Sold the Anschutz and kept the M69.) Sorry for posting this here, but I just joined the forum and can't send you a PM until I've got 15 posts. Jim Sheldon Park City, KS

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hi Jim,

Good work.

If you want the other firing pin to be serviceable again, just put it on a flat surface and check to make sure it's not bent. Use 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth each flat side. It will then retract.

I've located another at the local shop for $140 or so, but this one has all matching serial numbers. I'm seriously considering it as I sold my original.

Josh

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Nice .22's. I picked mine up at the Franklin, IN show earlier this year. A little polishing work on the bolt contact areas smoothed it up a bit. All matching numbers and shoots great.

Apex Gun Parts (online) has a few parts for this rifle for sale. Trigger guard, front sight hood, firing pin, and a combo screwdriver. Not a whole lot of replacements parts out there for these, as stated.

Cheers

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    There are some old gems that can be found in pawn/gun shops that are a better value, dead accurate, and built to last. The Remington 5 series comes to mind and can be found cheaply. The 510 and 511's that I had were tack drivers. And about $100.

JimSheldon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Park City, Kansas
    Hi Jim,

Good work.

If you want the other firing pin to be serviceable again, just put it on a flat surface and check to make sure it's not bent. Use 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth each flat side. It will then retract.

I've located another at the local shop for $140 or so, but this one has all matching serial numbers. I'm seriously considering it as I sold my original.

Josh

Thanks Josh,
    I had already figured that out when I put the new one in. It was a stamping and bowed just a bit. Looked like it was home made compared to the new one. I laid it on the anvil, whacked it twice with my brass hammer and polished it with the Dremel and a rubber polishing drum. Smooth as glass now, but the retaining pin slot was deformed so I left the new one in the gun and put the old one back for a template if I ever have to make one.

Mine has all matching numbers as well and it was the worst of 2 the guy I got it from had. After the stock, firing pin and extractor work plus scope mounting, it's by far the best of the two.

Like a dummy, I disassembled the bolt before I really knew what I was doing and promptly fell victim to the deadly "sproing". The firing pin spring keeper was looooong gone as I was outside when it happened. Like the extractors, this part is non-existent on the market. Took a piece of 5/16" cold rolled steel and some 3/16" key stock, hard silver soldered the key stock to the chunk of steel, filed the key stock down to the right thickness and carefully filed the safety detent hump parallel to the face of the key stock. Drilled the center hole just big enough to clear the striker pin and BINGO, new keeper. Then, someone sent me a complete bolt so I now have some spare parts.

I did post pix and instructions on making the keeper over on Rimfire Central.

I also polished the mating sear/striker surfaces and dropped the trigger pull from a nasty 6.5 pounds down to 2.5 and did the same thing you did - put in an overtravel stop. Trigger breaks like glass now. Amazing little rifles these M69's and almost as easy to work on as a Mosin 91/30.

Top Bottom