• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Any ideas on a reasonably priced reliable .45 acp Carbine.

The Marlins just don't seem too available these days and they really don't have much on the wow factor besides.

Looking for something in the same caliber as our pistols but with a little more reach and accuracy. It doesn't have to be ultra tacti cool but something that can run a higher cap mag and won't break the bank would be nice.

Any thoughts or am I better off doing a 9mm keltec, beretta or hipoint?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    These work very well, use grease gun mags which are cheap, runs Wolf like a dream...my brother bought the 9mm and the 45 acp versions and loves them.

mpa45rifle.jpg

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    That Masterpiece Carbine reviewed fairly well and they offer one with the collapsible wire stock not sure if it has issues with legality from OAL or not.

I am trying to stay out of the AR because of the price factor. I will probably never own a .223 or larger rifle caliber because I just would never shoot it enough to master it.

So having one lower plus the pistol cartridge upper and all the mags plus some form of optic puts me well over $1k

TThe Marlin carbine that uses the 1911 mags is probably the lowest cost alternative since the mags would serve duty in both pistols and carbine but would look retarded as well as cumbersome having an extended mag hanging out.

Really need something in the $300-$500 range with @ 6 higher cap mags at the minimum + on optic down the road.

It really sucks bein on a budget.lol

Going to have to do some horse tradin I Think. Unfortunately anything I could move quickly is stuff for SHTF times. Portable torch kit, tools and the like.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Thanks guys.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    With a Glock frame the Mech Tech is not too bad but the 1911 still has the magazine capacity problem...Not everyone has one of these....

drum3.jpg

A gunsmith friend of mine converted a SKS to 45 acp using Glock mags...looked ugly but shoots great!

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I used to own a Marlin 45acp, fun gun, never found a hig capacity mag it liked but that was a few years ago. I recently got a Hi Point 995 in a trade for my sons old bow. I have never much cared for Hi Points before this thought they were too ugly. I took the 995 to the range to shoot it before I traded it off on something else. I was very suprised. It is very accurate. I was even keeping 10 shots in a 6 inch circle at 100 yrds with iron sights. Couldn't believe it. Only problem I had with the gun was it felt like someone had hit me in hte jaw everytime I fired it. Not real hard just enough to be uncomfortable. I replaced the stock with one from ATI. Lot more comfortable to shoot. Added a Leapers tatical dot sight and its a blast to shoot. Have fired about 400 rds through it, mostly LRN handloads, and it hasen't jammed once. Mag capacity is 10 rds. ATI says after market high capacity mags will not work with stock.

100_5069.jpg

My wife fired this target at 25 yrds standing. It was the first time she fired the gun. Fired 20 rds. She loves the gun. When I'm not out shooting it its now her bedroom gun. She likes it better than a handgun and its easier for her to handle than a shotgun.

100_5065.jpg

I have never fired one in 45acp. I know they don't make an ATI stock to fit the 45. I did see a 995 listed today in the classifieds. You might want to check it out.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    How 'bout a Mech-Tech CCU, assuming your .45 is either a Glock or a 1911?

I agree with shooter, the mech tech is a blast to shoot and very easy to install. I used chip 10rd mags with much success in mine. Promag makes a drum but I don't know how reliable it is.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Don't knock the Marlin 45 Camp Carbine until you shoot it. I have one and I love it. If you end up around Lafayette sometime, let me know and you can try it out.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    With a Glock frame the Mech Tech is not too bad but the 1911 still has the magazine capacity problem...Not everyone has one of these....

drum3.jpg

A gunsmith friend of mine converted a SKS to 45 acp using Glock mags...looked ugly but shoots great!

i do....need to finish it....came in a kit...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

drum3.jpg

Would your friend still be able to do that SKS to 45 conversion? If so what did it cost? I'm very interested at this point. ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    YOu can convert handguns into carbines fairly easy and use the same mag,

10mmcarbine.jpg

The one above is a 10mm carbine but you can do the same with a 45acp.

It would also give you the same controls and triggers if you had the same starting platform in handguns.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    If you wish to have both hi cap mag availabilty and/or stay under $500 in a 45acp carbine that rules out the Beretta on both counts. Hi Point's 45 is just starting to ship and should sell less than $300 but will only use HP 45 mags@9rds ea. Any 1911 conversion will likely go over budget. Looks like the Masterpiece may be your only hope to satisfy all your criteria. If you do buy a Marlin alot of folks do a spring and buffer upgrade to avoid stress cracking of the frame.

Top Bottom