• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Why doesn't anyone make a mag block for the 9mm AR-15 that takes Glock mags? I know that OLY makes the full rifle, but I want my AR to run off of stock of glock mags! I assume people have looked at it before, so what has been the hold-up? Mag price? Feeding? Mag angle? Laziness?

Anyone wanna do some R&D with me? :rockwoot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, I've been lookin at this thing all day. I think I could definitely get it to work, but it'd take some time/resources. I know that I'd rather utilize my Glock mags than have to buy a block that takes Uzi mags (even though they're relatively cheap). BHO would be easy to do, mag release would take some thought, but definitely do-able, the only real problem I could foresee is feeding, but extensive R&D and testing could work that out. Hmmm, maybe a new project for me...:ar15:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Olympic Arms has an AR that does that already, however, its a dedicated lower I believe and I am unsure of the internals (if they are proprietary or not). Despite past blunders, Oly makes a decent AR. They even have a 10mm one. Now, give me .357 Sig in a Carbine and I am good to go :D!!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I thought when I build my .223 AR and 9mm AR, I would try the same thing. Need to use the lathe and mill for something. :)
    I envy you :rockwoot:

Wish I had access to that lol :noway: I'd really like to get a look at the K9-GL (which I did mention in my OP) internals though to see how that runs. I really don't think it'd be that hard, like I said BHO is easy, mag release would take some thought. Getting the right angle on the mag for feeding seems to me to be the biggest factor. IDK the difference between the regular Oly systems and Colt uppers though, so I guess feeding would be kind of dependent on that.

ETA: it seems and Oly style upper may be easier to modify for the glock mags due to the mag being more forward.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm still learning how to machine. I'm sure it will be almost a year before I can get my shop setup, after the move. You can get a small lathe and mill pretty cheap, if you are willing to work a little tuning it. Check out mini-lathe.com home page

I don't think the mag release would be too hard. You would have an AR "mag" that pops in. Then that has the release for the Glock mag that goes into it.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm still learning how to machine. I'm sure it will be almost a year before I can get my shop setup, after the move. You can get a small lathe and mill pretty cheap, if you are willing to work a little tuning it. Check out mini-lathe.com home page

I don't think the mag release would be too hard. You would have an AR "mag" that pops in. Then that has the release for the Glock mag that goes into it.
    The mag release is on the right of the mag though, so you'd have to utilize the left side to let go of the right, OR you could make a different catch, but that makes it not switchable to .223 OR cut into the mag...

I will definitely look into that stuff, thanks :yesway: I have the vision of the block, but not the tools/skill lol. The C-Products 9mm block looks interesting too, it just looks like it's bolted together pieces of aluminum.

:patriot:

ETA: Also have to take into consideration that a Glock mag is the exact size of the magwell.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, well I'm pretty sure I figured it all out. Need to know how high the rounds should be for an Oly style upper though. Oh yeah, and need someone that can put my ideas into a concrete prototype :D

Top Bottom