• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Well I had a RRA barrel on order but canceled that because they are on indefinite back order now.

I would like to get either an 18 or 20" light weight, CAR length, chrome lined. I dont want to spend A LOT but I would like a good quality barrel. I need everything but the hand guard.

So are there any vendors or brands that you guys recommend? And either 18 or 20" ? I have the AR pistol and it will become a SBR in time, so I figured Id do a longer barrel on this one.

Thanks
    Nick

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't think I've ever seen an 18" barrel with carbine length gas. Not saying it doesn't, just never seen it lol.

PKfirearms.com has a lot of barrels by many manufacturers, from pretty inexpensive all the way up to $600 barrels, might wanna check them out.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I wasn't aware of any 18" chrome-lined barrels.

Have you tried ColemanTyler?

Thats why I asked :) I never thought about hand guard length on the barrel length. If I am stuck with a 16" then I dont mind.

I have looked at both sites but a lot is out of stock. Ill check again now.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    yah **** it....ive been waiting too long for a barrel. just ordered a non chrome lined car length 16" with everything i need for $200 out the door.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Nick,

Do you have any action blocks yet? I've got the armorers wrench if you need one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't think of a good reason to get an 18 or 20 inch barrel with a carbine-length gas system. I would get a rifle length gas system without hesitation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Dissipater carbine should cover that?

If you're talking about the Bushmaster version, it has a carbine length gas system. Some others may differ.

Increased reliability is the primary reason for a rifle length gas system, although I do not intend to imply that carbine length gas systems can not be very reliable. It's added insurance for no extra investment.

Another factor is that the recoil impulse is significantly lessened. Of course, ARs don't recoil harshly at all, but that "vibration" you get is a lot less noticeable with the longer gas system. That may be a non-issue for a defensive weapon, or a gun you shoot casually from a bench rest. For a 3-gun/multi-gun rifle, it makes a significant difference in how fast you can fire follow-up shots. And for those who choose to "hammer" two or three rounds with only one sight picture (which I do not recommend), a rifle length gas system increases the distance at which you can do it since the gun moves less when it fires. In my opinion, it makes more difference in that regard than weight or a compensator.

Top Bottom