• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hello everyone... I am new to this forum so I thought I would jump in sort of sink or swim. What I would like to know is if anyone here has any experience with the AR15 Olympic Arms K-16. I have been looking at this rifle and for the money (600.00) I can’t imagine going wrong. I have read a few reviews but I would like to get some feedback from someone who has one. I have been out of the gun market for quite some time and now I am at a point in life where I want to pick up some weapons that I feel will eventually be banned ore at the very least made very difficult to obtain. Please feel free to jump in and give me your thoughts.. good or bad!
    Thanks

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    From the standpoint of wanting one because they might be banned, I don't think the K16 is a terrible choice. That said, if you want to get an AR pattern rifle that will provide years and thousands of rounds of reliable enjoyment, you can do much better.

dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am sure I could do better depending on what I want to spend unless I am missing something. Would you have any recommendations that don’t break the bank? I am planning on picking up at least 3 more weapons over the next month or so and after looking at the K-16 it seemed like an over all good deal for the money.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Older Olympic Arms guns had 'cast' receivers and some of those had some quality issues. The 'cast' receivers have not been made for many years, but the reputation of the company was justly hurt by those cast receivers. The new guns are forged and of very good quality for the money. They are not 'mil-spec' (whatever the hell that is) because they don't do things like chrome line their barrels (chrome lining increases life but decreases accuracy) and many other things. Lots of people hate Olympic Arms. Lots of SWAT teams count on the brand. Go figure.

If you are looking for an M-4 clone, then the K16 is not going to make you happy. I have 2 of them. I also have Bushmaster and a couple no-name brands. I have zero problems with either of my Oly ARs.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you're gonna look at it more than shoot it, get the Oly. If you want to shoot the hell out of it and expect it to be reliable, get something better like RRA, LMT or other top-tier manufacturer.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What I would like to know is if anyone here has any experience with the [/FONT][/COLOR]AR15 Olympic Arms K-16.

I work part-time at a shop in the greater Indy area that sells a LOT of Oly rifles, including the K-16s.
    BRADIS

I want to pick up some weapons that I feel will eventually be banned ore at the very least made very difficult to obtain.

If that's your motivation, look at another make/model. The K-16 configuration is 1994 Assault Weapons Ban compliant, as it has no threaded muzzle, bayonet lug or adjustable stock. So it wouldn't be affected by a reinstatement of that ban, and I don't think a more far-reaching ban (ala HR 1022) has a chance in hell of passing in the foreseeable future.

All that said, the K-16 is a decent rifle, especially for what you're paying. You wouldn't be able to touch a gun from any of the "big name" makers for $600, much less one with a free-floated bull barrel.

What I don't like about it, is that:
    1) it's heavy for a carbine (not really conducive to running and gunning or carrying over long distances)
    2) it does not come with iron sights (meaning you must buy either flip-up irons or an optic before you can shoot the thing), and
    3) it has a simple aluminum free-float tube with no provision for attaching a sling

My :twocents:

dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not really looking for an M-4 clone just something semi auto with a bit more accuracy than the carbine. And I am not a big fan of the mini 14. Like I said the k-16 just looks like you get quite a bang for the buck. I really hope someone out here has one and can comment on the accuracy. I do appreciate the feedback I am getting though

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Shooter521 has put it more eloquently that I. My first AR was an Oly, and after owning several other AR's, I probably wouldn't buy another Oly. Hell, I probably wouldn't buy ANY off the shelf AR at this point. It's easier for me to build what I want, but I digress from the purpose of this thread. You'll likely be happy with it until you come down with BRD, then you'll know where I'm coming from.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not really looking for an M-4 clone just something semi auto with a bit more accuracy than the carbine. And I am not a big fan of the mini 14. Like I said the k-16 just looks like you get quite a bang for the buck. I really hope someone out here has one and can comment on the accuracy. I do appreciate the feedback I am getting though

OK my daughter's pink AR15 is a modified K16. It has THOUSANDS of rounds though it and it, like a Timex, just keeps on ticking.

The rifle is used with 5.56 and 223 ammo and it digests all of it without any hiccups. It is plenty accurate for a service grade rifle, but not a tack driver like some of my custom guns. We also have a Ceiner 22lr conversion kit for my daughter's rifle, that also runs like a clock in the K16.

Honestly I can't say anything bad about the K16. It just works. It does not have the finest finish, nothing is polished or fancy, but then again it didn't come with a Les Baer price tag either! I've never had to replace anything due to breakage. The gun is modified with pink furniture and with a shorter buttstock to better fit her (she was only 12 when I gave her the gun as a present). But operationally it is all Olympic Arms and none of that has ever failed.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom