• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    How long do rifle barrels usually last? (I know, that's probably a "how long is a piece of string" or "how high is up" type question.) And how do you determine that a barrel is worn out? Someone in another forum somewhere (yeah, real good cite there :rolleyes:)mentioned AR barrels lasting 3-5,000 rounds before needing to be replaced.

Well, I've probably already run that much through my 10/22. So am I likely at or near "new barrel" territory?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Barrel life, just some generalizations:

Barrel life depends on the type of steel used in the barrel and the round being shot through it.

A chrome lined carbon steel barrel will last longer than an unlined barrel, but generally is not as accurate.

A stainless steel barrel will last longer than a carbon steel barrel.

Throat erosion caused by firing extremely hot rounds will degrade barrel life dramatically. Case shape, capacity and caliber all come into play when looking at throat erosion issues.

A 22lr barrel can probably last for 10,000 rounds or more and still be plenty accurate if it is treated well by its owner.​

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As Melensdad stated, throat erosion is what usually causes a barrel to lose accuracy. Frequently a gunsmith can cut off an inch or so from the chamber end, recut the chamber and the barrel is good to go again. The rifling itself is rarely the first to go.

I wouldn't worry about your 22lr or any other barrels until you notice accuracy going down the toilet. I read somewhere that anshutz (I think it was) only cleans their 22lr test barrels every 100,000 rounds if that tells you anything.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have an SAR-1 (AKM) that I have put over 13,000 rounds through and the bore still looks new. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that has fired at least three cases (15,000 rounds) and still looks great.

I have to say that when it comes to cleaning my toys, I will not put a dirty rifle into my safe. After every range visit I clean and oil all my firearms that were used that day.

How you take care of your firearms will determine how long a barrel lasts. Do you consistantly use hot loads? Do you rapid fire a 30 round mag, reload and dump another mag leaving your rifle smoking hot? Do you clean your firearm regularly and correctly? These all come into play determining how long your firearm will last.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    It was my understanding that 3 things determine barrel life:
    1) Steel type of barrel (chrome moly, chrome-lined, stainless)
    2) Velocity of the bullet
    3) Bullet jacket material

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Rimfires

You'll wear out that 10/22 barrel quicker with a bore brush than you will by shooting it. The closest thing to a brush my rimfire bores see is an occasional Boresnake. I've seen guys claim 50K+ rds through a .22lr with no accuracy loss. YMMV.

If you think your 10/22 barrel is shot (pun intended), let me know. I have 2-3 low mileage (maybe no mileage) factory barrels collecting dust here.

Top Bottom