• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I put my lower together last night with the aid of jontheturboguy, the ar15.com guide (the lower parts list picture was priceless!), and the two part series video on Youtube.

So I have a more or less completed lower, minus a buttstock. What else do I need? I know I need an upper, stock, and whatever other tacticool furniture to put on it, but nothing ridiculous.

I want:
    Recommendation on upper.
    An adjustable stock. Like this: http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w353/Nextremis/ARF_4.jpg
    Iron sights with the ability to toss a red dot scope on if/when needed. I assume by iron sights I'll have the carrying handle, but I can get something with a picatinny rail for easy swapping? Pardon me if that is incorrect.
    Small foregrip
    Shortest barrel possible without paying for tax stamps. :D
    Adjustable straps at some point.
    Flash hider?
    I want to piece this together...not purchasing anything completed. I like to LEGO things up...

Basically this but with the shortest barrel possible and different adjustable stock:
    DPMSM4R.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    That pic IS the shortest possible barrel. Also, you seem to be in favor of the CTR stock, which is what I was going to recommend, so you are GTG there. You can get a flattop upper with no carry handle and thus be able to mount any rear sight you wish, along with an optic. IMHO the optimum combination is a set of irons and a red dot that you can co-witness. That's to say that when you see your irons, you also see the dot. Check out my setup for an example.
    2320d1214511539-the_rebirth_of_my_m16-sendra22.jpg

When the irons are flipped up, you have to look through the Aimpoint to see them. It's an ideal setup for me. I also like the ACE stubby foregrip I have on here.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That pic IS the shortest possible barrel. Also, you seem to be in favor of the CTR stock, which is what I was going to recommend, so you are GTG there. You can get a flattop upper with no carry handle and thus be able to mount any rear sight you wish, along with an optic. IMHO the optimum combination is a set of irons and a red dot that you can co-witness. That's to say that when you see your irons, you also see the dot. Check out my setup for an example.

When the irons are flipped up, you have to look through the Aimpoint to see them. It's an ideal setup for me. I also like the ACE stubby foregrip I have on here.

That has to be LOUD to shoot. :) Is that right at 16", because you don't have a permanent flash hider, etc.?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    That has to be LOUD to shoot. :) Is that right at 16", because you don't have a permanent flash hider, etc.?

Actually, Joe, this is my dedicated .22 upper from Spikes. I just used that pic to showcase the sight setup along with the stock and foregrip. The barrel on this upper is a 5.25" barrel and the suppressor adds 6" to the length for a total of 11.25". You'd need to go the NFA route to get one this short (note the position of the safety selector). It is not loud at all, about like a pellet gun:rockwoot:

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish

That's pretty.

Not sure that I want a foregrip...I've shot with one of those and didn't really care for it. Forgot that I know I want the ability to toss on a bi-pod.

So as long as I get a flat-top upper (any brand?) I can get the iron sights along with a red dot of some sort? I figure that I'll step up to the red dot at some point as it's not necessary to fire the gun without. :)

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    How much do you want to spend on the rest?
    I have $175 in the lower and parts kit. I'd like to see another $400 or so, but like I said...I would like to piece it together like a LEGO set. I get off on building/putting things together.

I know that I can get the adjustable rear stock with buffer tube, spring, and attachment hardware for about $75. That leaves me with $350 to get a working rifle.

edit: ARR-008 - AR-15 Military M4 Collapsible Six Position Stock AR-15 or M4 Stock
    or ARR-530 - AR-15 DPMS Pardus Carbine Stock Assembly Black Light Weight Reinforced Black Zytel
    or ARR-217 - Tapco AR-15 T6 Collapsible Stock Black Six Position Includes Receiver Extension Locking Nut Buffer and Spring

I would be happy with any of these but I really like the style I pictured.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Actually, Joe, this is my dedicated .22 upper from Spikes. I just used that pic to showcase the sight setup along with the stock and foregrip. The barrel on this upper is a 5.25" barrel and the suppressor adds 6" to the length for a total of 11.25". You'd need to go the NFA route to get one this short (note the position of the safety selector). It is not loud at all, about like a pellet gun:rockwoot:

Ah. I was sure a .223 out of that was going to be an explosion. :)

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    You best bet to get the pieces is ar15.com. Check out the Used Parts. People usually have uppers for around $100 or less(just keep checking, when they show uo they go fast). I have seen barrels for under $200 and BCG for around $100. One thing about a used barrel, get the headspace checked(find someone with the gauges) it will save a bunch of headache.

Good luck.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Cool. Is that an A2 style top? Is that what I search for? A2? Picatinny? I'm sure I'll figure it out, just want to be sure.

You best bet to get the pieces is ar15.com. Check out the Used Parts. People usually have uppers for around $100 or less(just keep checking, when they show uo they go fast). I have seen barrels for under $200 and BCG for around $100. One thing about a used barrel, get the headspace checked(find someone with the gauges) it will save a bunch of headache.

Good luck.
    This is why I posted the thread right here. I'm all about buying used as long as it's in good condition. :) What is BCG? Bolt Carrier Group or something like that?

Here's what I found on headspacing:
    AR15.COM :: Forums :: Topic :: Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-in
    The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

I should be good unless it has a hojillion rounds or was in a full auto setup from what I can discern.

And you need to PM me your zip code, re: the voicemail I left you!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    For a flattop upper it is an A3 that you want. The A2's are still the carry handle flavor. Just search for flattop AR upper and you'll find what you want. Yes BCG is Bolt Carrier Group.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Been looking at the Magpul CTR stocks. I will have to match the tube with the type of stock first and foremost, but I would need the stock, tube, spring, and what else to be able to mount it? Some sort of locking ring?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you buy the stock buffer set, it will come with spring, buffer and stock nut. You can buy the complete CTR set with all the above + the stock itself at some online retailers.

Top Bottom