• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Hello, My name is TURTLE and I'm addicted to my Kalashnikov. Shes a sexy Yugo with a full stock and a flame-throwing AK74 muzzle break. But shes lonley... So I'm thinking of buying her a sister. My choices are a bit diverse. I'm looking at maybe a Yugo Underfolder , a Bulgy Arsenal AK , or maybe a Saiga (they look sleek). Was thinking the Arsenal would be best for mods. And the Yugo would well just be cool as hell. Any opinions or options would be appreciated. PLEASE POST PICS AND TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE AK.:ar15:

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Shooter's rule #2 of AKs:
    "AK folding stocks are great at folding, but suck as a stock."

I would avoid the Yugo or any other underfolder for that reason, and also because the Yugo U/F would be otherwise identical to the rifle you already have. Why not add some variety?

Arsenal rifles are pretty good, but their most recent offerings (SLR-106 & 107 series) have had a number of issues right out of the gate. That's disappointing, given 1) how ridiculously simple AKs are to build correctly, and 2) how much you pay for Arsenal's products. If I were looking for an Arsenal, I'd look for a used gun that's been vetted by the previous owner, or one of the older models (maybe a milled receiver gun?).

Saiga rifles are decent sporters as they come out of the box (I kinda regard them as a modern alternative to an SKS), but also lend themselves to various degrees of conversion back to a more traditional AK layout. Plus, they come from Izhmash, and the Russians know a thing or two about building AKs. ;) I've got a .223 Saiga that was converted by Arsenal USA (Global Trades) back during the AWB years. It's a sturdy, reliable and accurate shooter.

Some options to consider:

HENDERSON DEFENSE:
    Tactical Gear, Equipment and Weapon Systems : AK47 Rifles and Carbines

ATLANTIC FIREARMS:
    Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale prices.

Good luck with your search!

And since you asked, the only AKs I personally own are in either 5.45x39 or 5.56x45; I got rid of my 7.62x39 guns years ago. You can't beat the small-bore AKs, IMO. Might consider going that route, if you don't mind adding another caliber and mag type to your pile...

intrac_final_right2.jpg

Romanian MkII AK-74 (AIMS-74 clone)

ak74_right.jpg

"Practical / Modernized" Bulgarian AK-74 kit build

ak105_right.jpg

AK-105 SBR

ak101_right.jpg

Arsenal USA .223 Saiga conversion

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry, I like the underfolders because they are just so evil looking!!! That said, if you really want something special, and don't mind spending the money, how about a Poly Tech Double underfolder? (folding stock and bayo)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    how about a Poly Tech Double underfolder? (folding stock and bayo)

:thatshot:

Even feeling how I do about underfolders from a practical standpoint (I shoot my guns rather than just look at 'em), I gotta say the Poly double-unders are wicked cool.

Gratuitous AK pr0n (not mine):
    p1190039qr2.jpg

IMG_0121copy.jpg

DSC01922.jpg

Last edited:

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    my friend has a saiga, it is definitely a good rifle but if i was going to convert it, most likely it'd be the 12 gauge version.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I love my AK74 with side folding stock. I have done the AK in 7.62 like shooter but after going 5.45x39 I won't look back. It is a pleasure to shoot.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    That double underfolder is awsome! I bet they cost a fortune. Where could i find one? Never seen that b4 Thanks! +1

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That double underfolder is awsome! I bet they cost a fortune. Where could i find one?

I haven't seen one for sale in awhile, but IIRC, they're running anywhere from $1200-1400, depending on condition and accessories.

Keep an eye on the various AK-related gun boards (AK47.net, theakforum.net, akfiles.com), on gunbroker, and at the local shows. They turn up from time to time, but tend to move pretty quickly since they are so sought after.

Top Bottom