• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm looking for a very cheap air rifle that I can legally shoot in my backyard (which is inside city limits). I don't want to spend a lot of money, as I have a very limited amount of target practice I want to do with it, but it needs to be able to shoot metal BB's of some variation. The plastic BB's are unacceptable.

I found a couple at WalMart in the $30-$40 range, but not sure if they'll work. Any suggestions?

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I'm looking for a very cheap air rifle that I can legally shoot in my backyard (which is inside city limits). I don't want to spend a lot of money, as I have a very limited amount of target practice I want to do with it, but it needs to be able to shoot metal BB's of some variation. The plastic BB's are unacceptable.

I found a couple at WalMart in the $30-$40 range, but not sure if they'll work. Any suggestions?

Well.... can't comment on this one except to say it IS a Ruger!! Although... it's more than $40 :dunno:

Ruger Air Hawk Combo

Note: Also see the Elite model below this one.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I like Sheridan Air Rifles, but they're going to run a little more than 30-40 bucks..

Do you have a preference on power source? CO2, Pneumatic, Etc??

If you've got an air compressor at home, check out the PCP rifles from Crosman. You hook them up to a paintball tank or a home air compressor, fill the internal tank up, and shoot away!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like Sheridan Air Rifles, but they're going to run a little more than 30-40 bucks..

Do you have a preference on power source? CO2, Pneumatic, Etc??

If you've got an air compressor at home, check out the PCP rifles from Crosman. You hook them up to a paintball tank or a home air compressor, fill the internal tank up, and shoot away!

I really have no preference except that the whole rig should be cheap. It doesn't have to be $30, but I don't want to spend $100. Spring-loaded, CO2, blowgun, whatever. We're gonna go ahead and say it's for shooting at some paper plates up to 50 yards away. The paper plates don't necessarily have to be perforated (in fact, I'd prefer not to have to clean up a bunch of little bits of paper afterward), but the plates at least need to be sorry they were at the business end of the air rifle and maybe think about pooping in someone else's backyard sandbox for a change. Plastic BB's aren't accurate and they don't shoot very far.

That "pooping" thing is a metaphor, by the way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ...... but the plates at least need to be sorry they were at the business end of the air rifle and maybe think about pooping in someone else's backyard sandbox for a change. Plastic BB's aren't accurate and they don't shoot very far.

That "pooping" thing is a metaphor, by the way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:whistle:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, in that $50-ish range, I'd have to vote Crosman. If you're looking at single-shots, a break-barrel or pneumatic will probably be best. I plink at 50 feet all the time with no trouble..

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I had the same problem with pooping paper plates (say that real fast). I use a daisy rough rider and soft air m&p40 (co2 powered) that will put a nice welt on a paper plate at 20 yards. The daisy cost about 40 and the M&P40 cost about 60. I really like the M&P40 soft air, plastic bb but it still hurts with in 20 feet. Anyone I have shot begs me not to shoot them again:). Its great for force on force training or just playing around(definitely need safety glasses) and it is very accurate at that range.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Which city? IIRC, the Indianapolis ordinance against discharging a firearm in your back yard also includes air guns and spring powered pellet guns.

BennyBlown2v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    I have one of these - it's fun but not accurate enough nor does it have long enough effective range for a target practice gun IMO. I have a break barrel Daisy Powerline 1000 (newer models are out I'm sure) that was about $100 new, shoots .177, accurate up to 50 yards or so. Used it in the past for pest control, and just playing around in the back yard, works like a charm :)

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Buzzkill.
    Just so you know.

American Legal Publishing - Online Library

Noblesville ordinance.
    § 131.01 DISCHARGE OF DANGEROUS PROJECTILES PROHIBITED; DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS. (A) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall discharge within the limits of the city any dangerous projectile. Dangerous projectiles such as prohibited by this section shall include, but shall not be limited to, projectiles discharged by air (including air pistols and rifles); by gas (including pellets); by powder (including all firearms); or projectiles propelled by other mechanical means. (Ord. 775, passed 4-27-59)
    (B) (1) Discharge of firearms within the Noblesville city limits will be permitted on property meeting the following geographic standards:
    (a) Bound by Interstate-69, Olio Road, East 146th Street, and Atlantic Road;
    (b) Parcels of five acres or more in area.
    (2) The following restrictions are placed on the properties meeting the conditions set forth in division (B)(1) above:
    (a) No discharge of firearms within 500 feet of a property line;
    (b) Discharge of firearms limited to hunting and protection of farm animals with no target practice or sport shooting allowed;
    (c) Discharge of high-powered rifles are not permitted in any circumstance;
    (d) Individuals are responsible for line-of-fire.
    (3) Any officer of the Police Department and any other duly authorized state or county law enforcement officer shall enforce this section.
    (4) Absent any legislative action to the contrary, this division (B) shall expire ten years after its adoption.
    (Ord. 2-1-05, passed 2-14-05) Penalty, see § 131.99

§ 131.99 PENALTY.
    (A) Whoever violates any of the provisions of §§ 131.02 through 131.04 shall be fined not more than $25.
    (B) Whoever violates any of the provisions of this chapter for which another penalty is not specifically provided shall be fined not less than $5 nor more than $100.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Buzzkill.
    J
    (B) (1) Discharge of firearms within the Noblesville city limits will be permitted on property meeting the following geographic standards:
    (a) Bound by Interstate-69, Olio Road, East 146th Street, and Atlantic Road;

Well, good thing we don't live inside those boundaries... :)

:ar15: away.... :)

Of course our homeowners association may have something to say about it but ask me if I care right now... :D

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    well, no I don't care but I apparently had it backwards.... sigh... I hate legal wording. Just write stuff in plain english!! :)

We don't live in the square that it mentions so I think it is illegal then where we live.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I had a Crossman Powermaster when I was a kid. Great pump bb/pellet gun. If you don't want to seriously injure the paper plates you could pump it up 3-5 times and just scare it off. You could probably kill a cat-sized paper plate if you pumped it 10 times and penetrated it's little paper head. (assuming you could hit it in the head, of course)

joshuamckee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Franklin
    pellet gun

I have a friend that is trying to sell a Dasie power line 1000 it has a nice scope on it he only wants 50.00 for it.let me know if any body is interested he really needs the money by this Saturday.:)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom