• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Kudo's to the folks that worked to add the pistol bay covers to the north and south bays. I had a chance to shoot out there yesterday and those will sure be welcome come the winter and rainy weather. Are there any rule adjustments that these will bring about or is it business as usual, but with a nice shady bench?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I shot there on Sunday with AllenM. The bay covers are nice. Made it a little louder to shoot in the bays but the shade was nice. The south bay cover had lights mounted to it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Outstanding. I have not been out to the range in quite a while, but definitely prefer the bays. This will be great, as I've been there in the rain, as well as when the sun was just beating down.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I was out today around lunchtime and it was nice to have some shade from the sun. The bay covers are really nice - good on the board for adding them. They'll be really nice as the seasons wear on.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I am not 100% clear, is shooting allowed in the bay's after dark? This may be a stupid question with the lights and all, but the rules state that the range is closed at sunset. I thought it's possible the lights could be reserved for events.

Thanks in advance,
    a guy not wanting to break the rules.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I am not 100% clear, is shooting allowed in the bay's after dark? This may be a stupid question with the lights and all, but the rules state that the range is closed at sunset. I thought it's possible the lights could be reserved for events.

Thanks in advance,
    a guy not wanting to break the rules.
    Per Rule No. 35 under General Club and Ground Rules ... the bays are open from 8 AM to 8 PM. There's a manual timer switch in each bay ... lift the switch cover and turn the switch to activate the lights.

FWIW, the latest version of the rule book can be found at the club web site ... MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Also, the bays are open until 10 PM on Thursdays (during Trap on the main range). Of course, the main range is closed for upgrades for next couple months, so that probably doesn't apply until it reopens.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Are the lights controlled by any other means than the timers located in the bays themselves? Back in December, I was making trips out and started to shoot at 8am, which was just before sunrise. None of the bay lights responded to the controls, so I assumed that they were shut off from the clubhouse.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are the lights controlled by any other means than the timers located in the bays themselves? Back in December, I was making trips out and started to shoot at 8am, which was just before sunrise. None of the bay lights responded to the controls, so I assumed that they were shut off from the clubhouse.

When I was on the Board, we had a master timer that limited the operation of the lights to ~5 pm to ~8 pm. That enabled power to flow to the light pole. Once that was energized, you could use the spring timer on the pole to energize the lights. It was done this way to prevent jerks from shooting too late at night, which results in noise complaints and potential legal ramifications with neighbors.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The covers are nicely done. I avoid shooting under them, but I think they will be a great addition on rainy days. If you're saving brass, it will be cleaner to police up. It's a blessing and a curse, because before, if there was any rain in the forecast, a certain number of people would stay away and you could get on easier. That will probably change now. Sun? Eh, shooting's an outdoor sport, that's what hats and sunscreen are for. I kinda like getting out in the sun on my range days. That's one thing I didn't like about the main range, is it was so freakin' dark under there. Your front sight just turns into a shadow. It's a really artificial environment, compared to what you would see at, say, Camp Perry or a USPSA match. The bay covers let the right amount of light in. Hopefully the ceilings of the main range will be a bit higher and brighter once it's done.

Another observation, some shooters like to do their business, get in and get out. Others like to bring the cooler full of Pepsis and hang out at the range all day. To help everybody make good use of limited range space, it would be nice if the camp-out folks would stick to the main range, but I suspect the shade provided by the covers will cause the bays to become camp out spots too. We shall see. Sharing the bays is normal procedure, but it still affects through-put if people are occupying limited space and not really using it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Per Rule No. 35 under General Club and Ground Rules ... the bays are open from 8 AM to 8 PM. There's a manual timer switch in each bay ... lift the switch cover and turn the switch to activate the lights.

FWIW, the latest version of the rule book can be found at the club web site ... MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range

Thanks for the update - I hadn't actually read the rules for awhile.
    One question - Will the bays still close at 8pm during the summer when sunset is later than that?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I was on the Board, we had a master timer that limited the operation of the lights to ~5 pm to ~8 pm. That enabled power to flow to the light pole. Once that was energized, you could use the spring timer on the pole to energize the lights. It was done this way to prevent jerks from shooting too late at night, which results in noise complaints and potential legal ramifications with neighbors.

Ok, that makes sense.

Top Bottom