• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Not sure who (if anyone) updates the website. Though inconvenient, the most effective way to stay informed about the club is to attend the monthly meetings.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    What upgrades are they doing to the range? I seen they did some work on the bays and added the Bay Covers with light on them.

Last I know of / heard of was at August Meeting:

Main Range closes Starting sometime (SOON?!?!?!?) in October to completely redo the wind / rain structure / siding. I do not know dates either and would like to know.

My understanding is - during the week while construction in progress - The Entire range is shut down.
    Weekends (and perhaps evenings?) when construction is not occurring - the bays are expected to be open for use. ...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Last I know of / heard of was at August Meeting:

Main Range closes Starting sometime (SOON?!?!?!?) in October to completely redo the wind / rain structure / siding. I do not know dates either and would like to know.

My understanding is - during the week while construction in progress - The Entire range is shut down.
    Weekends (and perhaps evenings?) when construction is not occurring - the bays are expected to be open for use. ...

Same thing I was told by the RO.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wish they would add more bays. I would love to see MCFG be able to host a USPSA match monthly. It would for sure be a money maker. Usually 60-90 shooters at the USPSA matches put on in ranges over a hour away from Indianapolis.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Wish they would add more bays. I would love to see MCFG be able to host a USPSA match monthly. It would for sure be a money maker. Usually 60-90 shooters at the USPSA matches put on in ranges over a hour away from Indianapolis.

The organization is (obviously) not hurting for money, but I agree with some of this. The biggest danger to this organization is bullets getting out. And the biggest risk factor for that is maintaining a 100 yd. range with low angle to the berm horizon. And they are spending a ton of money enhancing and perpetuating that exact arrangement. That investment could go up in smoke with one bullet. It's an issue that needs to be confronted. The organization is so uptight about it, they no longer feel they can even let people shoot clay targets at the bottom of a 10 foot berm. If you're that worried about it - and you should be - make changes that reduce that possibility. Spending a bucketload of money increasing the creature-comfort level of the existing perilous arrangement seems ill-advised.

I'm convinced the reason why there are so many members, and yet utilization is so low, is that big, cumbersome hulk of a common firing line. They bays are often full. The main range is mostly empty, most of the time. Why do you think that is? It has to do with how people prefer to utilize the shooting space. The amount of underused space is very high, and the main range is like a "monument" that nobody can bring themselves to abandon.

There are other, better places to shoot trap, with better background and where angle birds don't disappear into berms and trees. Increase utilized space. Keep a 100yd. trench on the end with a baffle and a couple firing points for the ML + deer hunters and Anschutz kids to shoot. Make the rest into bays.

You do not have to close down and have USPSA matches. Keep it available for members. But yes, if you're going to close it down once a month, I agree it's probably better to do it for a USPSA match that draws 70 people and introduces new shooters to solid intermediate gun-handling skills, than reserving a full day (or two) a month for a dozen International Pistol bullseye shooters (hoping they don't skip one into Speedway with their 3oz. Free Pistol trigger - while the member with a Marlin 39 isn't allowed to shoot a clay target on a dirt berm, and couldn't use the range that day even if he could).

So there. (Asbestos suit on );).

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is a bit much when we roll out to use the range and it is closed for things you mention. I am really OK with utilizing the place but shutting down the whole line is a bit much.
    I am sure there is a reason hidden here somewhere and I am going to here it in 3-2-1

Actually I am OK with the way it is set up. We use it a lot. When 2 people have both bays taken (1 in each bay) that is a waste of space when folks are waiting. But I do enjoy having that space to myself when I can get it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The organization is (obviously) not hurting for money, but I agree with some of this. The biggest danger to this organization is bullets getting out. And the biggest risk factor for that is maintaining a 100 yd. range with low angle to the berm horizon. And they are spending a ton of money enhancing and perpetuating that exact arrangement. That investment could go up in smoke with one bullet. It's an issue that needs to be confronted. The organization is so uptight about it, they no longer feel they can even let people shoot clay targets at the bottom of a 10 foot berm. If you're that worried about it - and you should be - make changes that reduce that possibility. Spending a bucketload of money increasing the creature-comfort level of the existing perilous arrangement seems ill-advised.

I'm convinced the reason why there are so many members, and yet utilization is so low, is that big, cumbersome hulk of a common firing line. They bays are often full. The main range is mostly empty, most of the time. Why do you think that is? It has to do with how people prefer to utilize the shooting space. The amount of underused space is very high, and the main range is like a "monument" that nobody can bring themselves to abandon.

There are other, better places to shoot trap, with better background and where angle birds don't disappear into berms and trees. Increase utilized space. Keep a 100yd. trench on the end with a baffle and a couple firing points for the ML + deer hunters and Anschutz kids to shoot. Make the rest into bays.

You do not have to close down and have USPSA matches. Keep it available for members. But yes, if you're going to close it down once a month, I agree it's probably better to do it for a USPSA match that draws 70 people and introduces new shooters to solid intermediate gun-handling skills, than reserving a full day (or two) a month for a dozen International Pistol bullseye shooters (hoping they don't skip one into Speedway with their 3oz. Free Pistol trigger - while the member with a Marlin 39 isn't allowed to shoot a clay target on a dirt berm, and couldn't use the range that day even if he could).

So there. (Asbestos suit on );).

Totally agree. In fact, the ONLY thing I use the 100yd range for is busting clays at the base of the berm with my Savage .22. The whole main range should be divided up into multiple bays. There's plenty of room to make one of them 100yds.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Keep up the good work MCFG and its board members!!
    I enjoy Trap on Thursday, FNS, Bowling pins and the Star from time to time.
    I like the main range as well as the bays, have spent many a cold night shooting the breeze and AERIAL CLAYS on Thursday nights.
    This place is classic, I wish they would leave it as is.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Keep up the good work MCFG and its board members!!
    I enjoy Trap on Thursday, FNS, Bowling pins and the Star from time to time.
    I like the main range as well as the bays, have spent many a cold night shooting the breeze and AERIAL CLAYS on Thursday nights.
    This place is classic, I wish they would leave it as is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do like MCF&G and have been a member for nearly 20 years.

I really would like at least a couple of extra bays with steel plates like the two new ones we have had this last year or two/three. Four additional bays would be even better. I am sure there is room on the property. Maybe the archery range could be moved a little to allow for this? If someone wants to practice a little archery, this could be done in a bay or the archery could move back in the woods even, closer to the main gate with a little tree clearing in a lane and maybe another wooden platform/stand being built.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hi guys,

My name is Chuck and I was the President when we added the bays. Surprisingly, at that time we got a lot of negative feedback that we were tearing up the range, killing trees, making it muddy, etc. Now several years later, folks really like the added shooting opportunities that the bays have brought. I bring this up not to "toot my own horn", but to hopeffully advocate that you give the current board your support, and suspend your decision on how the windbreak will work until it is complete and folks have had a chance to use it. Much like the bays, sometimes it is difficult for folks to visualize a finished product without all of the info.

We'll never all agree on exactly how the range should be utilized (there are ~1000 members), so all I can ask is that members pull together and be as civil as possible. Being on the board is a big commitment; when I was on the board I calculated that my time commitment was approximately 2 weeks per year. Anything we can do to pull together and help support the volunteers who have been willing to donate so much for their time would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Chuck

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    8 of us, shot there today, Sat., 3 rd..... We used the "left" bay..... It was raining, and only one other person was there.

I am not a member, but have used this range Legally, several times.....

My brother used to be a member, and today there were 2 members with our group.

I have shot FNS, and Sat. Bowling pins.

I enjoy the range, very much.

No matter what you do, someone will complain, just keep it safe, and OPEN.

There are rules, that I don't understand, but will NOT go into that here.

I think MCF&G, is a wonderful place to shoot, since I am now on the westside of Indy.

So IMHO, keep up the good work, and keep up the improvements.....

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    [ There are other, better places to shoot trap, with better background and where angle birds don't disappear into berms and trees. Increase utilized space. Keep a 100yd. trench on the end with a baffle and a couple firing points for the ML + deer hunters and Anschutz kids to shoot. Make the rest into bays.]

I'm sure the twenty-five to thirty-five trapshooters that show up Every Thursday night would not agree. Since you suggest the main range is empty most of the time we should probably shoot trap at least an extra day per week! Trap introduces a lot of people to the shooting sports and the 'beginner welcome' attitude at MCFG is not found at most trap only clubs, where beginners often are seen as getting in the way.

To Chuck - Thank you for your time on the board - you not only improved MCFG in total, you helped bring our trap program to the profitable success it is today. And with the addition of the 27 yard line coming with the upgrade, we will be able to shoot registered ATA targets.

My name is Mark, Trap Director MCFG, and I approve this message.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have one of the board members on Facebook and messaged about stuff (like the rules - in their own thread) ... currently as I understand - construction will start mid October - so the main rang is still open.

It also sounded like bays MAY remain open through out; but that is not verified. If I can make it to a board meeting next month ... or find out more - I'll share it.

Top Bottom