• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thank you! The rule change is still ****ing stupid and punishes responsible members for the asshattery of others, but at least it's posted.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hi guys,

I contacted the MCFG Safety Coordinator, Chris Pope, and asked about the clay pigeon rule I've heard rumors about. Chris said there was discussion about such a rule, but he was not aware of such a rule being passed or added to the rule book. I asked him to chime in here, when convenient, to clarify.

Please keep in mind that Chris is likely not the Safety Officer at the range during the week (Chris is about 35 years old with short brown hair).
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hi guys,

I contacted the MCFG Safety Coordinator, Chris Pope, and asked about the clay pigeon rule I've heard rumors about. Chris said there was discussion about such a rule, but he was not aware of such a rule being passed or added to the rule book. I asked him to chime in here, when convenient, to clarify.

Please keep in mind that Chris is likely not the Safety Officer at the range during the week (Chris is about 35 years old with short brown hair).
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

We were in the North Bay today. The RO's were stellar. No clay birds though....:)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I looked the rules over, and it's not very clearly explained. They could have said laying clay birds on the dirt is expressly prohibited, if that's what is meant. Instead, clay targets are merely included in the list of "targets of opportunity," and the word "aerial" is included in front of clay targets in the section covering clay shooting on the main range. I think I know what the rule means, because it has been verified to me by two club representatives. However, if I had not had that explained to me, I can see how somebody would not gather from the rules, as-written, that intentionally-placed clays on the berms is prohibited. After all, the bullet is going in the berm anyway; who cares if it passes through a clay target one inch beforehand?

I appreciate Chuck taking time to respond here. If in fact he is right, and there was no intention of prohibiting clays in the berms, then the two gentlemen who spoke to me over the course of the past couple months certainly got that impression from the discussion they witnessed. Perhaps an internal "clarification" is needed? Vagueness is an invitation to selective enforcement. If I had to guess, I would surmise there are certain folks who might be, shall we say, more "anal-retentive" than others on the subject of "debris" being left on the berms, presented it for discussion as a "safety" issue, but failed to prevail on the matter, and then one or more attendees who overheard the discussion got the wrong idea that it was a done deal, but weren't present for the final vote?

Again, I appreciate the efforts of the club in improving the facility. I am in a situation where I find the club only useful for taking newbies there a few times a year, and shooting stationary clays is one of the things they really seem to enjoy. It's quick to deploy, gives satisfying immediate feedback on their marksmanship, and is easier and leaves less mess than things like balloons. I have turned a couple formerly anti-gun families around through such activities, and although I find other facilities better for my competition practice, it's nice to have a close-by place to take newbies that doesn't require a 90-minute drive. It's not a make-or-break, but certainly takes away one of the pleasurable options that kids and others sure seem to enjoy. I hope saner heads will prevail.

I simply fail to see how shooting at a paper target in a _metal_ frame placed a couple feet in front of the berm, gives less chance for deflection than a clay target placed directly _on_ the berm. If this is in fact the correct interpretation, then I think somebody erred on this one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I looked the rules over, and it's not very clearly explained. They could have said laying clay birds on the dirt is expressly prohibited, if that's what is meant. Instead, clay targets are merely included in the list of "targets of opportunity," and the word "aerial" is included in front of clay targets in the section covering clay shooting on the main range. I think I know what the rule means, because it has been verified to me by two club representatives. However, if I had not had that explained to me, I can see how somebody would not gather from the rules, as-written, that intentionally-placed clays on the berms is prohibited. After all, the bullet is going in the berm anyway; who cares if it passes through a clay target one inch beforehand?

I appreciate Chuck taking time to respond here. If in fact he is right, and there was no intention of prohibiting clays in the berms, then the two gentlemen who spoke to me over the course of the past couple months certainly got that impression from the discussion they witnessed. Perhaps an internal "clarification" is needed? Vagueness is an invitation to selective enforcement. If I had to guess, I would surmise there are certain folks who might be, shall we say, more "anal-retentive" than others on the subject of "debris" being left on the berms, presented it for discussion as a "safety" issue, but failed to prevail on the matter, and then one or more attendees who overheard the discussion got the wrong idea that it was a done deal, but weren't present for the final vote?

Again, I appreciate the efforts of the club in improving the facility. I am in a situation where I find the club only useful for taking newbies there a few times a year, and shooting stationary clays is one of the things they really seem to enjoy. It's quick to deploy, gives satisfying immediate feedback on their marksmanship, and is easier and leaves less mess than things like balloons. I have turned a couple formerly anti-gun families around through such activities, and although I find other facilities better for my competition practice, it's nice to have a close-by place to take newbies that doesn't require a 90-minute drive. It's not a make-or-break, but certainly takes away one of the pleasurable options that kids and others sure seem to enjoy. I hope saner heads will prevail.

I simply fail to see how shooting at a paper target in a _metal_ frame placed a couple feet in front of the berm, gives less chance for deflection than a clay target placed directly _on_ the berm. If this is in fact the correct interpretation, then I think somebody erred on this one.

Totally agree. On the berm. I do not see this as a target of opportunity. I see it as an active target with instant feedback. JMHO of course.
    I do understand not wanting them on the steel target rings/the trap house roofs and so on. That makes sense. The berm thing does not.
    Again.....JMHO

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Chuck is correct. I was told that the rules would be updated to specifically state that clay pigeons are not permitted to be shot at by placing them on the berms. Since I am out doing the new-member orientation during the membership meeting, I do not usually hear the discussion that occurs. Therefore, I do not know if/when this voted upon nor when the update will take place but I would expect it to be soon. Thanks. By the way....Chuck...thanks for being so generous with your estimation of my age!!!!:):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom