• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    I won an auction for a pistol on Gunbroker. The auction clearly listed ground shipping as one of the options, but when it came down to close the deal Jay at Wyoming Guns insisted on shipping 2 day because "it is required by the ATF". As we all know that is a big fat lie. So a quick search of this site and others proved him to be wrong and I nicely pointed out that he can send it priority mail and save me $30 or so. I even sent a link to the USPS regulations to back up my point. This DB then sends me a note that its going 2 day air or not at all. Well I'm a man of principle and if it had NOT said ground on his ad I would not have a problem with the shipping and I likely would not have bid in the first place. Needless to say its a dead deal. Beware of this bait and switch artist. I don't feel it is unreasonable to hold someone to terms that are clear and spelled out in writing. He clearly lied about the ATF requirements and refuses to make good on a method of shipping listed in his gunbroker auction. Am I wrong on this or is this guy just too lazy to go to the post office? I welcome your thoughts.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Sounds cut-and-dry that the product was not as advertised, as you put it. I don't do Gunbroker...what's their complaint / problem-resolution process? Making money on shipping is a definite peeve.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I don't get it, I suppose. Why would the guy benefit by insisting on going a more expensive shipping route?

Actually a good question. Businesses negotiate discounts with UPS and FedEx. Then they charge their customers the book price and keep the difference. Used to work for a company that audited the parcel carriers and minimum discount I remember seeing was 15% and most were in the 30% area. All depends on volume and modes shipped. 2 day air has one of the highest mark ups.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You are correct to question these business practices, but I wouldn't stop with the cancellation of the deal.
    You need to contact Gunbroker and file a complaint against the seller.
    You can bet he's going to file a "non-paying bidder" complaint against you, and too many of those will get you booted from Gunbroker.

Don't take it lying down, but don't stop there.
    Finish the task.

As a side note, I wonder if this guy would change his practices if he got a few dozen messages through the Gunbroker system telling him that the senders are interested in xxx product, but were concerned about his shipping practices...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Actually a good question. Businesses negotiate discounts with UPS and FedEx. Then they charge their customers the book price and keep the difference. Used to work for a company that audited the parcel carriers and minimum discount I remember seeing was 15% and most were in the 30% area. All depends on volume and modes shipped. 2 day air has one of the highest mark ups.

I see. My mind doesn't work in such ways...I'd starve to death if being good at working the system was what was required to eat. It amazes me sometimes what people will do to squeeze a few bucks out of a deal. Thanks for enlightening me, Markus.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are correct to question these business practices, but I wouldn't stop with the cancellation of the deal.
    You need to contact Gunbroker and file a complaint against the seller.
    You can bet he's going to file a "non-paying bidder" complaint against you, and too many of those will get you booted from Gunbroker.

Don't take it lying down, but don't stop there.
    Finish the task.

As a side note, I wonder if this guy would change his practices if he got a few dozen messages through the Gunbroker system telling him that the senders are interested in xxx product, but were concerned about his shipping practices...

^^^This^^^ Definitely file a complaint, and leave negative feedback (not sure if you can since the deal wasn't completed or not) for him. He's either scamming you or he truly doesn't know what he's doing and needs to be educated. You tried to educate him, but some folks just need a good knock on the head for it to sink in.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    OK, so I spent some time poking around the gunbroker website and found only this: "When a seller fails to complete a transaction and offers no reasonable explanation, please use our My GunBroker Feedback page to submit a comment about the transaction. We terminate the accounts of users who accumulate excessive negative feedback. We monitor the feedback ratings and comments to decide when to close a user's account. If you do not post feedback, we have no way to know that there is a problem." So apparently negative feedback is my only recourse. Ughh. As far as I'm concerned, Gunbroker sucks. I will never deal with that website again.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ... So apparently negative feedback is my only recourse. Ughh. As far as I'm concerned, Gunbroker sucks. I will never deal with that website again.

You are mistaken sir.
    Go to the Gunbroker home page and look at the top toward the left of the page. There is a link marked "Help". Click on the link and follow directions to "Contact Support"
    You must be a registered Gunbroker user to avail yourself of this service.
    Relay your story as you related it here.
    Tell them you wish to file a complaint against XXX seller.

It may take a few days for them to get back with you.

I've done all this before, so I know that it works.
    Don't settle for being pissed on, and don't pass it off on Gunbroker. They won't know anything about this idiot if no-one informs them.

Good luck, and update us if the situation changes.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    Thanks Mgderf! I followed your lead and filed a complaint against him.

Here is what I said: "I won an auction for a pistol on Gunbroker. The auction clearly listed ground shipping as one of the options, but when it came down to close the deal Jay at Wyoming Guns insisted on shipping 2 day because "it is required by the ATF". As we all know that is a big fat lie. So a quick search of the internet proved him to be wrong and I nicely pointed out that he can send it priority mail and save me $30 or so. I even sent a link to the USPS regulations to back up my point. Jay then sends me a note that its going 2 day air or not at all.

Well I'm a man of principle and if it had NOT said ground on his ad I would not have a problem with the shipping and I likely would not have bid in the first place. Needless to say this has been a bad experience with your website. This guy is a bait and switch artist and should be punished. I don't feel it is unreasonable to hold someone to terms that are clear and spelled out in writing in his own words. He clearly lied about the ATF requirements and refuses to make good on a method of shipping listed in his gunbroker auction. He has since relisted the pistol without the ground shipping option. I have left him negative feedback but I don't think that goes far enough. He should be removed from Gunbroker for knowingly changing the terms of the sale after the auction was completed. I believe that his actions go against the policies and spirit of the Gunbroker site."

I'll follow up if I get any response from Gunbroker. In reality my issue is not with the website, but rather with this yahoo seller. Hopefully they will let him know that he can't get away with changing the terms of a deal after the auction closes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Here is what I said: "I won an auction for a pistol on Gunbroker. The auction clearly listed ground shipping as one of the options, but when it came down to close the deal Jay at Wyoming Guns insisted on shipping 2 day because "it is required by the ATF". As we all know that is a big fat lie. So a quick search of the internet proved him to be wrong and I nicely pointed out that he can send it priority mail and save me $30 or so. I even sent a link to the USPS regulations to back up my point. Jay then sends me a note that its going 2 day air or not at all.

Well I'm a man of principle and if it had NOT said ground on his ad I would not have a problem with the shipping and I likely would not have bid in the first place. Needless to say this has been a bad experience with your website. This guy is a bait and switch artist and should be punished. I don't feel it is unreasonable to hold someone to terms that are clear and spelled out in writing in his own words. He clearly lied about the ATF requirements and refuses to make good on a method of shipping listed in his gunbroker auction. He has since relisted the pistol without the ground shipping option. I have left him negative feedback but I don't think that goes far enough. He should be removed from Gunbroker for knowingly changing the terms of the sale after the auction was completed. I believe that his actions go against the policies and spirit of the Gunbroker site."

I'll follow up if I get any response from Gunbroker. In reality my issue is not with the website, but rather with this yahoo seller. Hopefully they will let him know that he can't get away with changing the terms of a deal after the auction closes.

:thumbsup: That should do it.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis

I have to give you double thumbs up on that! :yesway::yesway: So very well written too!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Boo..bo.boooo.. Boop.. Stop... No more updates.... After this...
    OP was shootered minutes ago.. Boo..booooop. .... Boooooooooo..
    End message..............

Top Bottom