• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Please update this thread as the date gets confirmed and tickets are available. I'm dying to get my first KD under my belt, and don't want to miss this chance!
    Thanks!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Please update this thread as the date gets confirmed and tickets are available. I'm dying to get my first KD under my belt, and don't want to miss this chance!
    Thanks!

I second the motion.

Just to be clear though this will be a Revere's Rider KD shoot. If I have it right it maybe started off under the Appleseed umbrella and Appleseed instructors but they now do their own thing as Revere's Riders.

I do not believe there will be a KD Appleseed at Atterbury any time soon but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I am off base.

Hope to see you there no matter what.

Nigel

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Nad, I'm an equal opportunity shooter. Seeds, riders, I'm good with 'em both. :)
    Me too. Just wanted to point that out for other folks if they are searching the Appleseed site for a KD event. Great bunch of folks no matter their organizations name.
    Pretty sure I shot with you recently at Elwood and hope to shoot with you again at the KD.
    Keep up the good work and hope to see you at Atterbury.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    How about CIHPRS?

http://suemogle10426.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/Across the Course.pdf

We've got a match coming up on the 10th. 2/3/600 regular RMC 80 rounder.

Let me know if you want to know more.

-Nate

While this was not what I was initially interested in you have piqued my interest. I cannot make the 10th shoot but may well attend one of these in the future.
    I assume standing and sitting are unsupported other than slings. What about prone ? Tripod ?
    Does everyone shoot tricked out long range guns?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Deuce would be correct on the CIHPRS matches. And no tripod on prone, sling only.

When your arm goes numb, you're doing it right. :)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    NAD, I'm glad you're considering it. Any way that you can get out on a rifle range for course fire, be it through us, or Revere, or Appleseed, is a good way.

We do not use slings in offhand other than to be on the rifle lookin' pretty. ZERO support may be provided by the sling, and that is an enforceable/enforced rule.

Sitting is sling supported, and I agree with John on this (and only this) position: if it is comfortable, you probably aren't shooting very well.

Prone is also sling supported only. That being said, A) sling supported prone is a handicap in no way, and (B) if you just refuse to shoot prone without support like a bipod or bags, well...we'll not refuse to let you shoot! You'd just be in a different class, or be termed "out of competition". No big deal, unless you decide that it is a big deal for you, and you DO want to compete head-to-head.

Again, and I emphasize this, it is a good way to be on a range, and on the range learning and improving is better than sitting on the internet looking at gunbroker and wishing you had gone. 1,000 fold.

No, not everybody shoots "tricked out" rifles, but that may depend on what you think that phrase means. My AR has the same 20.125" sight radius as anybody else's Service rifle, if that's what you mean. But if you think that there are zero custom parts and it's heart is made of NATO chrome, then no, that does not describe my, or most of my competitor's rifles.

Most of the 5.56mm Service Rifles are 1/2 minute guns if the shooter can keep up with them. Some may even be 1/4 minute, no BS. I've shot, and see shot, WAY too many holes within 1-2" of one another at 600 yards to believe otherwise, even though the overall scores and groups are never that small for 20 shots in a row.

What I would recommend to the new shooter ("new" at this point being defined as: a person that has some weapons knowledge, including safety, knows a thing or two about guns, but hasn't a concept of 3-Position sling-supported shooting) is that you first attend a Clinic put on by Appleseed or Revere, or the once-per-year Wildcat Valley Highpower clinic.

Those will get you the basic tools to shoot a first match, if you want to shoot sling positions. If you choose to accept the challenge, they also will put you on the road toward a level of skill with a rifle that may be unprecedented to you at this point...or it might be, but you might not yet have the knowledge of how good you can be with just a little fine-tuning. Who knows.

Anyway...all I am trying to say about the 50-300 yard clinic's worth is that if you roll right out of the deer stand into a 200/300/600 yarder at Atterbury in April, it may kick you in the pants. A little. Actually, CAJMTC will kick most any shooter in the pants in April, from time-to-time. :):

I did that as a beginner, and it was good for me, but I am a mean, hardheaded SOB that loves rain, and likes to fight.

Revere folks: sorry for the thread jack.

-Nate

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    CAJMTC can kick a shooter in the pants any time of year. I've been there in ~100* heat, rain and snow. Funny how the police snipers and various .mil left us Appleseeders all to ourselves. Gun don't care 'bout the weather!

IIRC Ol Huff mentioned the hold up is JAG. It's making it tough to plan anything or even try to sell tickets.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    At this point, it ain't happening. We absolutely have no idea why since we cannot get anyone to actually speak with us on the topic. We have been approved by the Business Development Unit, scheduling is willing, where and why the breakdown I do not know. We are still working the opportunity and will try other avenues as they are available, but for now there will be no Atterbury.

Doesn't mean KD is out, we are looking at alternate venues.

DAve

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    At this point, it ain't happening. We absolutely have no idea why since we cannot get anyone to actually speak with us on the topic. We have been approved by the Business Development Unit, scheduling is willing, where and why the breakdown I do not know. We are still working the opportunity and will try other avenues as they are available, but for now there will be no Atterbury.

Doesn't mean KD is out, we are looking at alternate venues.

DAve

Thanks for keeping us up to date DAve and for the work you are putting into making a KD event happen for us.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    On a serious note, I have to repeat what Rayne said, Thanks for all the effort you put into trying to pull this off. So much time and effort gets invested behind the scenes of any event like this ... it's easy to show up on the day and be unaware of what it took to make it happen in the weeks prior.

^^^ x 3.
    Thanks to everyone for the hard work. Fingers crossed for an alternate KD event 'close' to Indy sometime soon.

Top Bottom