Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of fun & Sponsored by A&A OPTICS

Grab your kit, bag, ammo and rifle and join us for 500 yards of "Hits Count" action. Two days we will be working at 100 - 500 yards with you and your centerfire rifles. Sponsored by our great friends and supporters at A&A Optics, this is a bring it/carry it event that tests you and your gear at one of the best distance ranges that Indiana can offer.

Remember, only hits count. And we will be helping you make them.

Upcoming Events ? 2-day Field Rifle?Hits Count! (Camp Atterbury, IN) ? Revere's Riders

This is an event not to be missed!

28142633776_d729580779_b.jpg

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Grab your kit, bag, ammo and rifle and join us for 500 yards of "Hits Count" action. Two days we will be working at 100 - 500 yards with you and your centerfire rifles. Sponsored by our great friends and supporters at A&A Optics, this is a bring it/carry it event that tests you and your gear at one of the best distance ranges that Indiana can offer.

Remember, only hits count. And we will be helping you make them.

Upcoming Events ? 2-day Field Rifle?Hits Count! (Camp Atterbury, IN) ? Revere's Riders

This is an event not to be missed!

28142633776_d729580779_b.jpg

Just signed up. Been looking forward to this for quite a while.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Seeing this makes me feel like I just got asked to the prom by the hottest girl in the school! :): This is one of my favorite event types in all of shooting! Sadly I already signed up to be at BSA scout camp the week prior through that Sat. and help get kids home. I'm going to try and feel out other parents, if I'm not standing anyone up to leave from scout camp a day or so early I may still be able to do this.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Be careful to observe the ticket cut-off ... we have to submit the proper paperwork to Atterbury (in triplicate, thank you very much), and that means ticket sales will be cut off 18 July at 5:00 PM.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Thank you Alan!

Everyone get registered early if you want to have a spot on the line, Atterbury typically sells out quickly.

HH

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Planning on helping out this time. I've shot there plenty of times. It's a fantastic experience.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    It's quiet. Too quiet. Maybe some of you didn't realize we are shooting at Atterbury and giving away free stuff.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Can you guys who have been before provide a list of gear that's needed vs gear that will just be extra weight? Compare what would normally be brought to a RR shoot vs this venue in particular would be huge for us noobs.

I asked someone about a cart, and they said I'll be laughed off the firing line :) I'm laughed at enough, so I'd like to be prepared instead.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Much thought has gone into what you will need and what you are dragging behind you for no reason. The registration page gives a good overview of what you should consider bringing onto the firing range. Pretty much the only things you need are what is required to fire 150 rounds from your rifle, water, food, and a way to take notes. Carts and spotting scopes for great things for target shooters, but this is field shooting. If you wouldn't take it hunting, don't bring it to Atterbury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some things about shooting at Camp Atterbury that you should be aware of, please read the following carefully:

1. Start time—check-in is at 7:30AM EDT. For those in most of Indiana, this is 7:30. For those in the Central time zone, it’s 6:30 CDT. Safety briefing is at 8:00 sharp. We will not wait to get started. The day will be long and we can’t afford to lose time here.
    2. CAJMTC firearms policy—NO FIREARMS beyond those you declare when you purchase your ticket. An exception is made for civilians for the firearms you specify to be used on the range for an event. This means concealed carry is NOT allowed. If you or your vehicle are searched, your rifle information submitted by us is all that will be allowed on base. You will be turned away if not detained by Military Police and your event fees will not be refunded.
    3. Centerfire Rifle, Zeroed—please make an effort to get a known zero prior to attending. 25 yds or 200 yds preferred, but any known zero will work. If you are not zeroed, we will make an attempt to get you there but a good zero will facilitate your learning.
    4. 250-300 rounds of the same ammunition will be required. Plan to carry 150+ rounds on you each day.
    5. The elements/weather—the known distance ranges are not sheltered in any way. If it’s sunny, you will be out in the sun. If raining, you’ll be out in the rain. Bring what’s appropriate for you and the forecasted weather. Layered clothing is best so that you can adjust to the changing temps. Events are not canceled due to the weather (exception with extreme weather only; i.e. tornado, severe storm/lightning). Do not bring portable shelter as the firing line will be moving frequently.
    6. Equipment—sling, shooting mat if desired, high powered binoculars or scope, at least two magazines, a way to take notes, ear and eye protection. Please note that ear and eye protection are required.
    7. Hydration—make sure to bring enough water/Gatorade/etc. to stay hydrated. It might be cool early in the day but the wind can take it out of you as fast as the heat.
    8. Food—there will be a designated time for lunch and history. Please bring what food you need. Leaving base for lunch is not an option and we will continue without anyone who is late returning from lunch. If everyone brings food that can be eaten on the fly, all the better.
    9. Directions from the gate to the range control building—essentially, you continue through the cantonment area on the road you came in on. You will come to a stop sign across from the fire department. Range control is on your left.
    10. A $10.00 per day range fee payable cash is required at check-in from each person attending. This is in addition to your ticket price and is collected directly by Camp Atterbury.
    11. You will be moving all your equipment between each firing point, all day. If you have a disability or require assistance to stay on your feet, let us know before signing up and we will try our utmost to work with you.

Additional Recommendations

Finally, some notes from experience:

• It can always rain in Indiana and rain gear is light, bring it.
    • A shooting mat should be a mat, not a tarp. Tarps blow around, require folding, collect rain. We cannot have folks pitching a campsite every 100 yds. The U. S. Army has provided grass at each firing distance and you do not have to carry it. Leave the mat at home if you can and enjoy nature.
    • Water is your first best friend, start drinking an extra quart a day two days in advance. Bring at least two quarts each morning to the range.
    • Power bars or breakfast bars are your second best friend, bring several.
    • A mesh or light cloth bag for collecting brass is very helpful. Snag an old pillow case when the spouse isn’t looking. You can get sunburned in the winter.
    • A hat with a bill rocks.
    • A clean rag is priceless when you need it.
    • Your rifle will get dirty, rained on, and scratched. Leave the safe queen at home, this event is for rifles you mean to shoot.
    • Don’t bring cheap ammo for sighters and expensive ammo for score. Yes, it has happened; no, it didn’t end well.
    • Make sure your scope or sights are tight and locktite was used. We have seen scopes fall off rifles. More than once.
    • Make your lunch light and nutritious; this is not the place for Snoballs and Diet Coke.
    • Dress as if you will be doing landscaping work all day and your spouse will not let you back in the house until dark. Toss in rain gear and you will be fine.

Seriously…

Bring everything you need and nothing you will not use.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Can you guys who have been before provide a list of gear that's needed vs gear that will just be extra weight? Compare what would normally be brought to a RR shoot vs this venue in particular would be huge for us noobs.

I asked someone about a cart, and they said I'll be laughed off the firing line :) I'm laughed at enough, so I'd like to be prepared instead.

[edit - just saw the bottom part of YHJ post so a few duplicates]

I've done a few of these. ;) I'll give a quick and dirty list if you like...
    -rifle in a case with a known zero (25 yd, 100 yd)
    -your days worth of ammo (best if it's all the same brand, load, lot, etc...)
    -mags (If it's an AR, I like having: 1-5rnd, 2-20rnd)
    -a tool to tweak that zero (not a whole tool kit, just a basic screw driver, AR front sight tool, something to tighten your scope base, etc...)
    -notepad & pen/pencil (you'll verify clicks/MOA on your sights, scope, write down come-ups, wind, temps, etc...)
    -some kind of backpack to carry your stuff. A 3 day conflict pack is a good size.
    -snacks (cliff bars, granola, nuts, dried fruit, etc...)
    -lunch (something that doesn't need a lot of prep time)
    -fluids (lots of cold & frozen liquid to keep your lunch cool)
    -small bag for trash
    -small bag for spent brass
    -hand wipes/baby wipes/hand cleaner
    -sun screen
    -hat with a brim
    -eyes & ears (hearing instructions is nice, electronic if you have them)
    -extra battery for optics &/or ears

OPTIONAL
    -binocs or spotter scope (you'll want to see the small target spotter disks but hate lugging these around)
    -ultra-light camp chair (your body will thank you until it's tied of lugging it around)
    -bug spray (I've never had much trouble there)

WHAT YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED TO CARRY - leave in the car if you must
    -cleaning kit (you'll be so tired after day1 you won't do more than some oil and a bore snake)
    -gun oil
    -shooting mat (rifleman love the grass)
    -fancy weather thingie
    -ballistics calculator
    -full tool kit
    -spare rifle parts
    -rain gear
    -spare clothes (clean shirt for the ride home, change of shoes/boots)

Last edited:

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I can't say this event will change your life, but I will say when the old men are gathered round spinning yarns of yesteryear and telling tall tales of their shooting prowess, very few will utter the word "Atterbury." Those who've heard it will simply nod their head in acknowledgement. "I was there."

Looking forward to meeting you guys and reconnecting with old buds yet again on the hallowed ground that is Range 5. I have a Saturday off! I'll be there both days. This event is just too important to miss.

I'll be at this event. Don't let gear, rifle or kit keep you from going. I'd gladly set you up with any or all gear you would need.
    I still need a wisdom tooth extracted. Please bring your pliers.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I can't say this event will change your life, but I will say when the old men are gathered round spinning yarns of yesteryear and telling tall tales of their shooting prowess, very few will utter the word "Atterbury." Those who've heard it will simply nod their head in acknowledgement. "I was there."

Looking forward to meeting you guys and reconnecting with old buds yet again on the hallowed ground that is Range 5. I have a Saturday off! I'll be there both days. This event is just too important to miss.

I still need a wisdom tooth extracted. Please bring your pliers.

This is a field marksmanship class....Field oral surgery is a 200 level course. :):

Top Bottom