• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I thought there was a thread for this somewhere. I know I saw something about it. I've been signed up for weeks now.

ETA: You're right. The announcement I was thinking of buried in the Aug 6 Crawfordsville thread.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Odd... I thought we had the 2016 schedule posted here. I'll rattle some chains and see if we can get something stickied.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Is it October 8th yet? I am looking forward to this Basic Pistol Class! I can't wait to share fellowship and learning with: My girlfriend, two of her daughters, the oldest daughter's significant other(...a Navy Seal just back from deployment), a young fella that I raised and 9 other folks I may or may have not met. It sounds like the skill level will vary from never fired a pistol to expert. No pressure, coaches!

I've got a brand new Walther CCP that I am looking forward to putting through its paces!

And finally....IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sneak TJ a few extra espresso shots and we'll have him running both firing lines!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had a great time at this event. Thanks to Jake, TJ, Cindy/Molly, Nick, Chrissy & Hop for running things.

Don't let the fact that this is a basic pistol course keep you away. We had a pretty diverse range of skill levels there, and everyone showed some type of improvement over the course of the day.

Here are a couple of things I learned about myself and my technique.

- I am more accurate and more consistent with my groups when shooting from an isosceles stance as opposed to a Weaver stance.

- I can manage tighter groups with my Big Dot sights than I was expecting. Because we shot lots of shorter strings of fire, I was able to make adjustments and try new things frequently. This provided immediate feedback and helped me to finally hone in on the right sight picture when using them.

- I've gotten much better and smoother with my trigger pull and only allowing it to travel forward to reset. This has tightened up my groups a lot but I am still consistently a little bit low and left. Most likely do to me holding the gun too tightly. I am comfortable with my grip, but I need to loosen it a little.

- Ball and dummy drills showed how much I am still flinching while anticipating recoil. I need to dry fire more.

- The HK VP9 feels like it was made specifically to fit my hand and I am more naturally accurate with it than I am with my G19. Thanks Hop, for letting me try it out. I may have to add it to my wish list.

All and all a fun and educational day.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just something to try I'm not an instructor or anything but the next time your shooting stick your pinky out like you're holding a teacup and see if that stops the pulling down

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Don't forget the dry fire drill while balancing a dime on the front sight. That was tougher than it sounded. I found out that my weaver stance was not a weaver. My stance is a "who knows what" stance. I also learned that I need to be more conscious of my grip. It was inconsistent. Started paying attention to it and then things started tightening up. I also figured out the the sights on my GSG-1911/22 aren't as bad as I thought they were. Still need to get a better set. Had a great time.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    And don't forget Molly's high tech, trigger slap prevention device(...a tiny piece of paper between your finger and the trigger). Wow! The little things you can do to improve your technique. Great day, my friends. Great day!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Don't forget the dry fire drill while balancing a dime on the front sight. That was tougher than it sounded. I found out that my weaver stance was not a weaver. My stance is a "who knows what" stance. I also learned that I need to be more conscious of my grip. It was inconsistent. Started paying attention to it and then things started tightening up. I also figured out the the sights on my GSG-1911/22 aren't as bad as I thought they were. Still need to get a better set. Had a great time.

You shot great my friend even with that hybrid Weaver stance. :): I liked that gsg 1911/22 too.

Top Bottom