• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Attention Ladies (and guys looking for their ladies, daughters, etc)! Have you ever wanted to learn to shoot a rifle without your man giving you bad advice the whole time? Guys....want your ladies to be more proficient with a rifle? Well, here is your shot! This is a 1 day class and spots are very limited. Sign up now to reserve your spot and take advantage of early bird pricing! Come share the line with other like minded ladies! 22LR and center fire rifles allowed. Loaner rifles are available, but please contact the event director to reserve one. (his email is in the link below)

Details here: https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2017-apr-29-crawfordsville-in/

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    How many spots are still available? Emily's interested, and yesterday after swim practice she was talking to one of her friends about it and her friend might be interested as well.

Also, last time we borrowed someone's slings for the kids' rifles. I'd like to get them their own slings, but there are several different types and I'd like to get the "right" ones. Is there a particular brand/style that you would recommend? Preferably something that I could find in stock somewhere in Crawfordsville (and, of course, if one of them was able to color coordinate with a pink rifle, all the better...) :cool:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I don't know what they would recommend, but if it were my kid, for the time being I would stick with a COTTON web sling. Make very certain that they are the GI cotton ones, as the nylon slip around too much. Actually, nylon is not much suited to a shooting sling at all unless it is subsequently covered in rubber; a noted exception is the buckled cuff "tactical" type sling, but it would still grip harder in rain if they were cotton.

1907 Slings are the world's 8th wonder for what they can accomplish with a good shooter, for no more advanced than they are. That said, they are relatively expensive for beginners who may/may not continue...decent ones start at $50. They also require break-in in the form of shooting them quite a bit under pretty heavy tension (sometimes I was not sure whether I broke them in, or they broke me in) and the result of that is less amusement for less experienced shooters...or just those that don't like blood blisters on their arms.

You are unlikely to find the web slings in in stock locally, but you have plenty of time to order a few. I thought they were about $15, but I guess maybe not: https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/GREEN-MILITARY-COTTON-WEB-SLING/shop-by-department

-Nate

Edit: oh yeah, and if you do need a loaner cotton web for a day or two, I can make that happen.

Last edited:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I would strongly advise the purchase of a NYLON USGI loop sling for a child. Many cotton slings are difficult to close with the keeper (the little clampy-doo that lets you adjust the length) for people with smaller or weaker hands/fingers. The Vietnam-era nylon sling is very slick and slips off easily. New style nylon slings (I actually think its a blend of some kind) do not slip as easily but they are starting to get a little harder to find. For an adult shooter I would advise cotton or a 1907. Your best option may be to try a couple different loaners and find what you want and then buy it off the instructor. Another option would be contacting TJ Kackowski or Auntiebellum as (I believe) they make loop slings with custom color webbing.

I hold natdscott's opinion in high regard, particularly in the realm of service rifle shooting, but in this case I advise the other direction.

My 4-H kids were complaining about the stiffness of new cotton slings and their inability to operate the keepers, we bought a pile of these and we aren't having that trouble.

https://www.amazon.com/AmmoGarand-G...3&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=usgi+loop+sling+nylon

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Huh. I hadn't thought of that angle. I guess it was/is kinda hard for some of the kids to close the sling keeper.

Still hate that nylon when it gets wet, even though now I use an AWS from Turner. (Talk about a nasty piece of strap. Break-in is a non-thing, but shoulder dislocation could be!)

-Nate

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I had concerns about stretch with the nylon but we have a kid that's a giant. He snapped the laminate stock of a Marlin 2000L biathlon with one.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    How many spots are still available? Emily's interested, and yesterday after swim practice she was talking to one of her friends about it and her friend might be interested as well.

Also, last time we borrowed someone's slings for the kids' rifles. I'd like to get them their own slings, but there are several different types and I'd like to get the "right" ones. Is there a particular brand/style that you would recommend? Preferably something that I could find in stock somewhere in Crawfordsville (and, of course, if one of them was able to color coordinate with a pink rifle, all the better...) :cool:

There is still room for 3 more (yes Mom, you're shooting). We will have slings available for you to use. They're not pink though.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

PM sent ... I got you covered with colored GI style web slings. You definitely need to get on the line this time. I'll have an extra rifle with me just in case you "forget" your rifle.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'll be there, at least through lunch time. Loaner rifles covered? I'll have a few just in case.

Well-armed women should always be well-armed. ;)

Mmm... lunch. :)

Top Bottom