• ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    How many folks shoot iron sights out to 300 yards? I don't have any scopes of any kind for my AR yet. I wanted to get a lot more gun time with irons in before "advancing" to optics.

I shot irons out to 200 at Bedford's AR event last year but I really don't know where I can shoot prone to practice so I don't know if I can hone my skills well enough to justify signing up.

I am wanting to sign up for October and wondering if I should upgrade to a decent red dot before that. But I will still have the prone practice issue...

Thoughts?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    How many folks shoot iron sights out to 300 yards? I don't have any scopes of any kind for my AR yet. I wanted to get a lot more gun time with irons in before "advancing" to optics.

I shot irons out to 200 at Bedford's AR event last year but I really don't know where I can shoot prone to practice so I don't know if I can hone my skills well enough to justify signing up.

I am wanting to sign up for October and wondering if I should upgrade to a decent red dot before that. But I will still have the prone practice issue...

Thoughts?
    Iron sights are plenty adequate for 1/2 sillohuete targets at 300yds. A good rifle with match ammo will group under 1MOA--3" @300yds. The only advantage of a RDS is speed.

As far as practice goes, if you don't have access to a range were you can shoot a center-fire rifle prone (and at a meaningful distance), you can use dry-fire. Do you have a place where you can shoot a .22 prone? You can substitute that for live-fire. Not ideal, but substitutes usually aren't

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    From the event page:
    "You should be comfortable with quickly making hits on man-sized targets from 50 to 300 yards from the prone position (you may fire from any position, but given the pace of target presentation and the distances involved, most will shoot from prone). There will not be time between individual target presentations to “dial” your scope for the appropriate distance; you should be experienced making appropriate “hold overs”/”hold unders” as needed to compensate for the varying distances."

I need lots of range time this summer no matter what!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    With a known zero (50/200 or 25/300) you should be on target at all ranges targets are presented regardless of sights.

Magnification does make it somewhat easier on those of us who can't see past the end of our barrels.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Iron sights are fine I qualified for many years with them before RDS.
    The normal course of fire is.

20 rounds prone supported

10 rounds prone unsupported

10 rounds kneeling

Ensure your rear sight is in the correct position A2 sights +1 click from 8/3 for zeroing 8/3 flush for qualifying Use the small aperture.

Most new shooters have a problem with transitions from one target to another.
    When presented with two targets engage the closest first after it falls forget about it take it out of your mind and move to the next smoothly and engage. You have to have a personal cadence for engaging targets if it’s close you have to be fast while still applying the fundamentals.
    200/250/300 meter target of course requires the shooter to take more time and apply the fundamentals precisely don’t rush the shot.

Here is more information than you ever wanted to know about the M16/AR15 rifle and basic Marksmanship !

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/TC 3-22x9 C1 INCL FINAL WEB.pdf

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Is the pop up event rescheduled for 10/20/18? Didn’t see this info anywhere else so just confirming that’s what I’m reading. I’ve got a few guys wanting to tag along if so!

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Done deal. One guy is committed. Waiting on confirmation from the other.

This isn’t the same class that’s considered field rifle that’s also at atterbury right? If not, is there any field rifle classes in the near future? And what’s the difference between the two?

I think I read field went out to 5-600yds and I’m guessing it doesn’t incorporate the pop up targets. I’m sure there’s more instruction on field as this one states there’s not much. Either way I’d like to do both!

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Done deal. One guy is committed. Waiting on confirmation from the other.

This isn’t the same class that’s considered field rifle that’s also at atterbury right? If not, is there any field rifle classes in the near future? And what’s the difference between the two?

I think I read field went out to 5-600yds and I’m guessing it doesn’t incorporate the pop up targets. I’m sure there’s more instruction on field as this one states there’s not much. Either way I’d like to do both!

The 2 events are completely different, and there is a KD shoot (Marty Brown Memorial) at Atterbury on 11/3-4/18. This one is for those who have been to event in the past and want to shoot at actual distance vs 25yd. Here is the link:https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2018-nov-3-4-atterbury-in/

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    No, not the same as a Camp Atterbury KD. We don't have a KD on the schedule there this year. We do, however, have a 2nd Annual Marty Brown Memorial shoot on the schedule there.

What you learn in our basic rifle 25 yd class is also used at the KD shoot + learning come ups and reading the wind. Most shooting is done at 100, 200, 300, 400 but we'll go out to 500 if time permits.
    The pop up shoot will require a battle sight zero. You won't have time to dope your scope. You'll need to quickly asses target distance & apply the correct hold to hit one or more targets before they "time out" and disappear from view. I know the pop up pistol range popped up two targets at once. I'll assume the rifle range has that capability as well. There's several target scenarios to pick from in the control booth.

https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2018-nov-3-4-atterbury-in/

The Memorial shoot is a friendly high power rifle competition from 100 - 400 yards. There won't be any instruction. You will get some sighters at each distance.
    I barely won the match last year over Rayne (fellow RR instructor). She's coming at me hard this year though. It'll be a tough title defense. I might need help again from Jake & Nigel (inside joke)!

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    A post by gopher was just made and edited about this being on November 4th. Just to clarify this event is still being held on October 20th and the field rifle event is still being held on November 4th. Got a guy taking one of these spots for the pop up event tonight. I think we’ll both snag some spots for the November event as well.

Side note I just purchased my ticket today and saw the Labor Day sale just now! Is there anyway I can retro this deal?! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom