reveresriders.org
    President: president@reveresriders.org
    Webmaster: webmaster@reveresriders.org

Master Rifleman (48/50)
    XI Virginia Regiment, Morgan's Rifle Corps
    Well Regulated

Marksman

User Info Menu

Weather for Saturday looks to be as good as you can expect this time of year: high in the low 40s, partly cloudy and 0% chance of precipitation. You can't use the weather as an excuse not to come out to this event! John Viray is a top-notch instructor; if you're looking to learn proper draw technique or a refresher, you can't do much better than this course.

Come on out to Riley CC and join us!

Bruce Williams
    Revere's Riders
    reveresriders.org
    President: president@reveresriders.org
    Webmaster: webmaster@reveresriders.org

Master Rifleman (48/50)
    XI Virginia Regiment, Morgan's Rifle Corps
    Well Regulated

Plinker

User Info Menu

Glad the weather worked out very well for our course. Cool, dry & sunny with the sun on our backs! Thanks again Obijohn & RCC for hosting.

Class was a very fun experience for me & extremely helpful for my shooting. John knows a lot about a lot & is freaking hilarious.
    The format of the class was well thought out and never boring, short discussion on theory and application with assessment & correction.
    The first half of the class was all about form, emphasizing draw stroke & grip. John & Granger were very helpful correcting my bad habits.
    My groups noticeably tightened up in our drills & at the same time if they were too tight, John had me speed up to spread them out.
    He tailored the "defensive" curriculum, with me unlearning slower bulls-eye/target habits, having different discussions with the ex-mil students.
    The back half of the class was much more focused on movement, situational awareness, threat scans and clearing type 1 malfunctions.
    Our afternoon made handgun shooting much more applicable to real world defensive scenarios, and ingrained logical real world tactics.
    The class was very worthwhile, with a very high instructor / student ratio. I learned a ton and will definitely attend future RR & ACT courses!

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    Weather for Saturday looks to be as good as you can expect this time of year: high in the low 40s, partly cloudy and 0% chance of precipitation. You can't use the weather as an excuse not to come out to this event! John Viray is a top-notch instructor; if you're looking to learn proper draw technique or a refresher, you can't do much better than this course.

Come on out to Riley CC and join us!

User Info Menu

I finally bought a pistol so I'll get some time using it and sign up for the July class!

Any suggestions on what I should focus on in preparation for the class?
    Outlier

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I finally bought a pistol so I'll get some time using it and sign up for the July class!

Any suggestions on what I should focus on in preparation for the class?
    I would suggest that you work on safe gun handling and basic marksmanship. RR's basic pistol course is a great place to start.

Keep in mind that your will need a good strong side holster that covers the trigger guard and allows one handed reholstering. You will also need to put that on a belt designed for pistol carry and magazine/speed loader carriers. Plus, several magazines or speed loaders. 3 or 4 may be enough, but I like to see folks spend time training and not loading magazines.

Add all that to an open mind and a desire to learn
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
    I would suggest that you work on safe gun handling and basic marksmanship. RR's basic pistol course is a great place to start.

Keep in mind that your will need a good strong side holster that covers the trigger guard and allows one handed reholstering. You will also need to put that on a belt designed for pistol carry and magazine/speed loader carriers. Plus, several magazines or speed loaders. 3 or 4 may be enough, but I like to see folks spend time training and not loading magazines.

Add all that to an open mind and a desire to learn
    Sounds good. I have taken 3 classes with Aron Bright, many with RR, including basic pistol, plus a couple others. I have a belt, proper holster (though it is leather) but I could buy a Kydex if you prefer.

I have 6 mags in total with holders for 2 extra on my person.

Openness and a desire to learn always.

"I bought a pistol" may have conjured up the thought that I bought my "first" pistol. Naw, I've been around firearms all my life, taught hunter education, taught NRA classes and concealed carry classes (in Virginia), but none of that means much if I don't stay humble. I do my best to be a good student and the older I get, the more I realize how little I know.
    Outlier

User Info Menu

No worries here, I did assume first pistol. Looks like you are good to go. I am certain that Aron got you ready for most of what I'll throw at you
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Sounds good. I have taken 3 classes with Aron Bright, many with RR, including basic pistol, plus a couple others. I have a belt, proper holster (though it is leather) but I could buy a Kydex if you prefer.

I have 6 mags in total with holders for 2 extra on my person.

Openness and a desire to learn always.

"I bought a pistol" may have conjured up the thought that I bought my "first" pistol. Naw, I've been around firearms all my life, taught hunter education, taught NRA classes and concealed carry classes (in Virginia), but none of that means much if I don't stay humble. I do my best to be a good student and the older I get, the more I realize how little I know.
    Greg

I hope to see you in July. You will love this course.
    A Burly man drinks Spiked Soda from a Dented can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 308jake View Post
    Greg

I hope to see you in July. You will love this course.
    You will. I didn't want to take the chance on March weather. I'm a weanie, lol.

Plus, and I think you and I even discussed this, I was searching for a "do it all" pistol so that I would invest my time at the range, in training classes and if I ever do some type of action shooting, with the same firearm. I didn't want one gun at my beside, another on me, and yet another when I take a class or shoot some event or competition.

I now feel like I found what I was looking for. I'll get some rounds through it to prove it out and get familiar with it.
    Outlier

User Info Menu

You will. I didn't want to take the chance on March weather. I'm a weanie, lol.

Plus, and I think you and I even discussed this, I was searching for a "do it all" pistol so that I would invest my time at the range, in training classes and if I ever do some type of action shooting, with the same firearm. I didn't want one gun at my beside, another on me, and yet another when I take a class or shoot some event or competition.

I now feel like I found what I was looking for. I'll get some rounds through it to prove it out and get familiar with it.
    I prefer the cold over the heat. Come July, I may be the designated mag loader in the shade. See you then sir.

A Burly man drinks Spiked Soda from a Dented can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast