Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Nice AAR!

Can you explain a bit about your vision aha moment? I have astigmatism and progressive lenses that are not awesome for focusing on front sight quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diveski11 View Post
    Nice AAR!

Can you explain a bit about your vision aha moment? I have astigmatism and progressive lenses that are not awesome for focusing on front sight quickly.
    Sure. I am cross dominant. Very cross dominant. Very right handed, too old to change at this point. I have pretty good distance vision (Lasik at 40, will be 60 this year) but I require readers to see anything up close; computer screens, tape measure, front sight, etc.

I have been trying progressive contact lens, monovision, blurring out the left lens to force my right eye to become dominant, added reader magnification to the right eye as well as a host of other ideas. I have been working on this for over 2 years now. When I should have been practicing.

I told this to John to see if maybe I should throw in the towel and just go red dot. He said that needing a 2.0 X reader is not a big deal. And he said being cross dominant is no big deal with pistol either. "just adjust a little". When I mentioned that it is obvious when I do that that I am cross dominant, his response was "so what?"

So I am going to go back to using my left eye, cheating my stance a little, put some top focal magnification in that lens, leave the right lens clear so that I have the use of that eye and get on with practicing.

Not only did it help me from a practical way, it helped me to gain some confidence that I still have enough to carry on and try to learn how to do this sport/activity.

My experience with progressive contacts was that they didn't work. Neither did trying to go monovision. My vision was all sorts of screwed up when I did that. I'm not sure if progressive glasses are better but I think I would try top focal magnification bi-focals if I was to wear glasses. As I understand the progression of progressive lens provide a fairly narrow band of correction. I would think it would be difficult in a dynamic situation where one was trying to move at speed. I would be willing to lose some correction at the middle distances to have the front sight sharp and regular binocular vision when looking straight through the lens.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diveski11 View Post
    Nice AAR!

Call me some time and I'll discuss this with you.

Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4