Pistol 209 Defensive Pistol Nov 21st - One Day Seelyville, IN Anyone here going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I attended the D-Day shoot last year at this range. (Hopefully the gate works this time...)

Sounds like a fun day, with more intense shooting, like the 145 class last year. It's always fun to have more leeway than the local ranges allow for trying new tactics and maneuvers.

Hope to see some of you there.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for starting the thread MMM! I'm hoping to be at this one myself!

btw - The D-day "Military Surplus Rifle" event will be back but on a different day. Last year was a special 75th anniversary D-Day edition.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Hi Hop! Great hanging with you and Slim at the MB shoot with the BIG rifles.

As for the "Military Surplus", do you mean this year or next?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Hi Hop! Great hanging with you and Slim at the MB shoot with the BIG rifles.

As for the "Military Surplus", do you mean this year or next?
    Sorry to thread jack. I've checked with and not had a response. Any carbine offerings from RR this year?

Back to business, unfortunately scheduling has kept me away. Haven't seen anyone in quite sometime. Oct of '19 at Bedford Contingent. Following the thread for interest in the milsurp day.

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to thread jack. I've checked with and not had a response. Any carbine offerings from RR this year?

Back to business, unfortunately scheduling has kept me away. Haven't seen anyone in quite sometime. Oct of '19 at Bedford Contingent. Following the thread for interest in the milsurp day.

Not at this time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^ Thanks! I'm out though. I can't keep all my shots within a 6" square at 10 yards. Especially under any kind of speed.

I'll continue to practice and check back again next time around.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ^^ Thanks! I'm out though. I can't keep all my shots within a 6" square at 10 yards. Especially under any kind of speed.

That should read 5-7 yards. Go ahead and take the class, I'm sure you will be pleased. AND I can help you get to that particular marksmanship standard.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

I took this same class a year or so ago and was in about the same boat as you. I felt this class might be a bit over my head (I had qualified in the RR Pistol Class), but had never really pulled from the holster, most of my shooting was from a standing position. Obijohn is a great teacher and worked with me and others, and by the end of the class I had probably learned more about shooting a pistol then in any previous experience. Since that time I have been practicing with what we had worked on, and though I am no Clint Eastwood, my skills and confidence are at a level that I never really thought I would be able to obtain.

I can not recommend this class enough!

Ron

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have taken training with John and I also learned a lot. Plus I like his methods and persona as a teacher. I can learn under him.

Unfortunately, after I took a class he taught in conjunction with RR last year, I haven't gotten much range time. I have totally forgot the movement drill he taught us so I can't even practice it.:):(

Right now, my primary pistol is at DP getting fitted for a RD so I'm relegated to shooting my Shield. I have been doing this for the past couple weekends and I'm already getting better. And that is with fuzzy iron sights! I'm mostly running some drills I get from Shooting Illustrated and a couple turns on the plate rack, dueling tree and Texas star at the end for fun. The steel stuff is all 10' distance.

I won't get my pistol back until mid-August at the earliest, so I'll see how quickly I can get my proficiency up now that I'll be using a RD. I am older and have a couple of vision issues that I have been fighting for about 5 years now. That is why I'm going to give the RD a try.

I did take a 101 pistol class with Bob Whaley about a month ago. I used my 9 mm 1911 with irons. I did okay but most of the class was 3, 5, 7 yards. When we went out to 10 yards it was mostly slow fire to see how accurate we could be. I could keep all my shots within a 6" circle, but once in awhile I had a flier.:ugh:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If you managed to survive the 145 class, you will be fine at the 209. Remember that a one day class will NEVER make you an expert at the material in that class.

The 209 class (DP201) is a lot of fun. Shooting on the move, a simulated 360deg environment and all the bad jokes and sarcasm you can stand. What's not to like?

I look forward to training with all who attend.

If you have specific questions, post them here or PM me. In keeping with the current ammo situation, we won't be shooting just to raise the round count. We'll make every attempt for every round expended to mean something.

Top Bottom