Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Pistol 145 September 19, 2020

Plinker

User Info Menu

Ditto

User Info Menu

I've had inquiries as to the availability of ammunition. I do not personally, nor does Revere's Riders, maintain an inventory of ammunition. Please keep in mind that we are allowing .22's for some of the drills in the defensive pistol classes through the rest of the year. You will still need your defensive pistol and ammunition of some of the class, in particular the last drill.
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone who came out to train today. It was great group of shooters
    A Burly man drinks Spiked Soda from a Dented can.

User Info Menu

My AAR.

Cool start to the day but one really couldn't have asked for better weather. It was a great day with warm sun and a deep blue sky. The club is a nice enough club and it was really nice to stand on grass instead of rip rap all day! Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the actual class.

This is the second time I have taken this particular class. I have a tendency to take classes twice before I move on mostly due to being so busy with life that when I leave a class I don't get to the range enough to solidify what was taught. We all know that shooting is a perishable skill.

John and the RR folks are just good people. They know how to have fun and impart solid teaching. I won't go into the complete agenda of how the day progressed but instead I'm going to highlight some of my personal takeaways and observances.

1. This class today did not have one student that should not have been there. In virtually every class I have taken, there is always that "one" that shows up with a brand new firearm, no knowledge of the manual or arms and then everyone in the class suffers a bit while the instructor works with that individual to keep them safe and help them out. Which he should do. However, people should also read the course description and understand the level of knowledge you should have coming into the class.

2. There were several students who came with sub compact pistols when it is suggested to bring nothing smaller than a compact. But for the most part they did really well so in my opinion, no harm, no foul. But try to come with more than 2 magazines if you can.

3. There is a way to get solid instruction without sending 500 rounds downrange. In our current situation with ammo being scarce and expensive, we were able to reduce the number of rounds downrange and not lose one bit of training value. Yay for that John! (yes I stole John Lovell's line. What can I say, I like it. I have thought about using "get some", but that line was already taken to.)

4. John is accepting to different methods to achieve shooting proficiency. If something is working for you, then carry on. He's not shy about asking you to try it a different way to see if you can improve, but the A in ACT is Adaptive and he embraces that. He will correct something if it can and should be fixed.

5. I like John's attitude towards equipment. He doesn't push a particular brand of firearm and he did a good job of explaining, not arguing, the points of striker fired vs revolver vs 1911 style pistols. I really believe that if someone was undecided on what type of handgun they wanted to use, they would get their answer/confirmation at this class. I know it confirmed for me my journey.

6. The format of breaking down a drill into individual segments is a good format as far as I'm concerned. Start at the very beginning, go through each step several times and finish the day putting it all together on one drill that encompasses pretty much anything you may encounter.

7. Jake and Roger from RR made the instructor/student ratio very good. 3:1 is an excellent ratio and they picked up on what we were doing. I know, I got corrected a lot....as usual. But I also received some encouraging words on my progress with my newly acquired red dot set up.

7A. Dry fire. I liked his suggestion to do limited dry fire every day. Don't try to do hours of dry fire or 100's of presentations. Set a timer for a predetermined short amount of time and stop when the time is up. And do this every day.

8. And lastly, putting my ear pro around my leg when not using them is more comfortable than on top of my head. Thanks John!

I would without reservation recommend this course and here is what I suggest you do to prepare:

A. Get a good belt designed for firearm wear and a decent OWB Kydex holster.

B. Practice with your firearm at home without any ammunition around you. At the very least be sure you know how to insert and drop a magazine, how to lock the slide back and how to drop the slide. I will even say you should know how to remove the slide from the frame. You won't have to do that in the class, but being really familiar with your firearm will go a long way. Plus, it your gun is/gets a little dry, you can quickly remove the slide, add some oil and be back up and running looking like a pro.

C. Buy more mags. The more the better. If you can come with 6 mags, you will run the day "casually" reloading mags.

Oh, and beware. The first time I took this class, I ended up buying not one, but two new handguns. So be careful asking John for input on what to buy. He is very comfortable spending your money. And today I checked out a Trijicon RMR and compared it to my Holosun. Has me thinking now....

I think that's about it for me. Training is a good thing to do. Get some!
    Last edited by gregkl; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:28. Reason: Added 7A-Dry Fire
    Anything is possible

Marksman

User Info Menu

Class was well structured from accessing your abilities to refining and building upon your skills. John worked with my unique circumstances and gave direction where needed. As this was my first Defensive Handgun class it Set a very good baseline of skills for me to working on from the importance of accuracy, transitions, movement and situational awareness. Thank, John, .308Jake and Roger.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I had a blast this Saturday training with everyone, thanks for coming out! I couldn't agree more with your AAR!

I took this class twice with John & it gave me solid fundamentals that taught me how to train for the real world. (But I still don't put my ear pro on my legs )

- Roger

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    My AAR.

Cool start to the day but one really couldn't have asked for better weather. It was a great day with warm sun and a deep blue sky. The club is a nice enough club and it was really nice to stand on grass instead of rip rap all day! Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the actual class.

This is the second time I have taken this particular class. I have a tendency to take classes twice before I move on mostly due to being so busy with life that when I leave a class I don't get to the range enough to solidify what was taught. We all know that shooting is a perishable skill.

John and the RR folks are just good people. They know how to have fun and impart solid teaching. I won't go into the complete agenda of how the day progressed but instead I'm going to highlight some of my personal takeaways and observances.

1. This class today did not have one student that should not have been there. In virtually every class I have taken, there is always that "one" that shows up with a brand new firearm, no knowledge of the manual or arms and then everyone in the class suffers a bit while the instructor works with that individual to keep them safe and help them out. Which he should do. However, people should also read the course description and understand the level of knowledge you should have coming into the class.

2. There were several students who came with sub compact pistols when it is suggested to bring nothing smaller than a compact. But for the most part they did really well so in my opinion, no harm, no foul. But try to come with more than 2 magazines if you can.

3. There is a way to get solid instruction without sending 500 rounds downrange. In our current situation with ammo being scarce and expensive, we were able to reduce the number of rounds downrange and not lose one bit of training value. Yay for that John! (yes I stole John Lovell's line. What can I say, I like it. I have thought about using "get some", but that line was already taken to.)

4. John is accepting to different methods to achieve shooting proficiency. If something is working for you, then carry on. He's not shy about asking you to try it a different way to see if you can improve, but the A in ACT is Adaptive and he embraces that. He will correct something if it can and should be fixed.

5. I like John's attitude towards equipment. He doesn't push a particular brand of firearm and he did a good job of explaining, not arguing, the points of striker fired vs revolver vs 1911 style pistols. I really believe that if someone was undecided on what type of handgun they wanted to use, they would get their answer/confirmation at this class. I know it confirmed for me my journey.

6. The format of breaking down a drill into individual segments is a good format as far as I'm concerned. Start at the very beginning, go through each step several times and finish the day putting it all together on one drill that encompasses pretty much anything you may encounter.

7. Jake and Roger from RR made the instructor/student ratio very good. 3:1 is an excellent ratio and they picked up on what we were doing. I know, I got corrected a lot....as usual. But I also received some encouraging words on my progress with my newly acquired red dot set up.

7A. Dry fire. I liked his suggestion to do limited dry fire every day. Don't try to do hours of dry fire or 100's of presentations. Set a timer for a predetermined short amount of time and stop when the time is up. And do this every day.

8. And lastly, putting my ear pro around my leg when not using them is more comfortable than on top of my head. Thanks John!

I would without reservation recommend this course and here is what I suggest you do to prepare:

A. Get a good belt designed for firearm wear and a decent OWB Kydex holster.

B. Practice with your firearm at home without any ammunition around you. At the very least be sure you know how to insert and drop a magazine, how to lock the slide back and how to drop the slide. I will even say you should know how to remove the slide from the frame. You won't have to do that in the class, but being really familiar with your firearm will go a long way. Plus, it your gun is/gets a little dry, you can quickly remove the slide, add some oil and be back up and running looking like a pro.

C. Buy more mags. The more the better. If you can come with 6 mags, you will run the day "casually" reloading mags.

Oh, and beware. The first time I took this class, I ended up buying not one, but two new handguns. So be careful asking John for input on what to buy. He is very comfortable spending your money. And today I checked out a Trijicon RMR and compared it to my Holosun. Has me thinking now....

I think that's about it for me. Training is a good thing to do. Get some!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brchixwing View Post
    I took this class twice with John & it gave me solid fundamentals that taught me how to train for the real world. (But I still don't put my ear pro on my legs )

- Roger
    You should, all the Kool Kidz do it that way
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
    You should, all the Kool Kidz do it that way
    Yup.
    Anything is possible

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Yup.
    Seconded

Bruce Williams
    Revere's Riders
    reveresriders.org
    President: president@reveresriders.org
    Webmaster: webmaster@reveresriders.org

Master Rifleman (48/50)
    XI Virginia Regiment, Morgan's Rifle Corps
    Well Regulated

User Info Menu

Roger is already is the quintessence of Coolness.. he doesn't need any help :>)...

I took this class in the past.. you are all making me jealous that I couldn't attend this one!

Ron
    “We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.” -Archilochus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast