• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have never shot a back-up gun match, but think it would be an interesting concept. Is there any place in south or central IN that has BUG matches? I haven't heard any talk about them in a few years, maybe the ideal fell off the map.

Something about shooting a P3AT at a steel match or USPSA seems ridiculous, but I'd like to have a place to run the mouse guns. Maybe this is the birth of 4 gun?

Thoughts?

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    E-match, postal match, we use a standard target, at a set distance, shoot it, and post it with something to help set the scail. it used the honor system to prevent cheating.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If I still had my Bersa, I would be game. I used to handload for it and got great accuracy. Too bad Bomar wont make sights for it...:D

Still, a BUG match is great. The compactness and usually lower training time given towards a BUG (depending on the shooter) can be a challenge for most folks, thus the fun! I envision this:
    I think a three round match would be great, one for accuracy (slow fire, bullseye, but instead of 25 yards, go with 10), a quick fire match (maybe a two target Presidente?) and an action match (two stations with cover, fire from one at multiple targets after "dropping" your empty primary carry gun, move, fire at more targets, all with your BUG).

These sort of matches would make people seriously consider, "what is in my back pocket? An asset or a liability?". Also makes one consider their training level with ALL of their weapons, secondary or not. Makes me wonder if my Derringer is up to the task...:D (Time to get a SP101).

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I've been wanting a BUG match too. I carry a .380 most of the time, a caliber not allowed in normal IDPA matches.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Visions of a P32 with a comp, dot sight, and a magwell are dancing through my head...

Anybody know any good race gun 'smiths.. I've got a job for them :D

p32racegun.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Josh ... as BillD mentioned, BUG matches are an IDPA thing. They are typically for BUG only (can't use two guns at once). Check the IDPA rule book for details (International Defensive Pistol Association).

They would only be allowed in USPSA if they were 9mm or .38spl or bigger (no .380, etc.), but you could shoot one in a match if you wanted. In fact, a friend of ours (obijohn and myself) would sometimes shoot his little Colt snubbie .38 in matches at Terre Haute.

Top Bottom