• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What magazine-fed rimfire would you shoot in a smallbore match?

• Total voters
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    How many are interested in a rimfire match? Please vote to indicate what brand of magazine-fed rimfire rifle you own and would like to shoot in a match. If you'd like to shoot a match with a rimfire that isn't magazine fed, please indicate what rifle you had in mind.

There has been discussion about getting a rimfire rifle match going, and this will help us guage the level of interest. COF is still open to suggestion, but something that includes variable distances, multiple targets and shooting positions, reactive targets, etc. Lets hear your ideas!

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I guess you are interested in something other than NRA Smallbore matches. Not sure exactly what you have in mind, but I am always interested in shooting rifle competitions. There are NRA Smallbore matches every weekend somewhere....

I have a single shot Kimber 82 Government and a Remington 40X single shot for NRA Smallbore competition at 50foot, 50 yard, and 100 yard, sometimes 200 yard. I also have a scoped Ruger 10-22 that could be used in a rapid fire type of match.

Are you thinking about competition along the lines of Sportsman Team Challenge or bullseye competition?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have edited the original post for clarification. Personally, my interest is something a bit more active than a bullseye competition. Reactive targets, multiple shooting positions, etc.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i believe what josh is writing about is a 3gun/multigun type match with .22's. or maybe just the rifle portion. "action" type competition. right josh? some of this discussion is in a thread about 3gun/multigun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, ObiJohn, I was thinking something along the lines of 3 gun or any action style COF. I had also entertained the idea of something like an ISPC match with .22's. Very similar, but shoot the entire match with the rifle instead of just a couple stages or portions of stages. I would also be down for a .22 steel match. I know that places currently allow .22 in steel challenge matches, but my experience has been mixed. In some cases, the targets are not dropped by a 22, and scoring becomes questionable.

This idea is very much a work in progress so suggestions are encouraged.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm no where near "competition" level with my current state of shooting...

But if I were to enter, I'd enter with my CZ-452. It's my best set up...

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Indy Guy, I think you are part of the crowd that this "match" is trying to reach. A lot of guys say "I am not ready to compete" and never become ready. If you are 1) safe and 2) have a gun and ammo, and 3) want to shoot a match, you are ready. Look at it this way, every match has to have somebody in last place :):.

Really, I think a rimfire match could be a way to welcome a lot of people who are moderately interested in competition to some structured course of fire. Plinking is fun, but I think that if there was a venue where guys could shoot their plinking guns in some standardized way, it would be a benefit to their shooting. Plus it would be fun.

This could provide a cheap, low key way to get out and shoot. The point of this poll is to prove that a lot of people have rimfires but may not yet shoot them competitively. There is this notion that competition inherently requires a lot of expensive gear and modifications to your guns, and it just doesn't have to be that way. Yes, a basic level of gear is necessary, but its not that far out of reach and some people already have it.

:twocents:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Couple of ideas I stole

I've heard of a private club that has "fun shoots" where the shooter walks a short trail and shoots saltine crackers. Biodegradable targets at various distances (none very long) and there is no question whether or not you've hit them. They had an ammo rule. If your ammo's regular price was more than $2 a box, either you were disqualified or you had to provide a box of the same ammo to each shooter. Helps keep it at a "fun shoot" level.

For a little more of a challenge, shooting Necco Wafers hot-glued to a paper target is also fun.

I voted 10/22 but all mine are scoped. If there are enough players, you might have to have different classes for optics and iron sights.

My suggestions are beginning to sound like a lot of rules, so my last one is KISS. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes, ObiJohn, I was thinking something along the lines of 3 gun or any action style COF. I had also entertained the idea of something like an ISPC match with .22's. Very similar, but shoot the entire match with the rifle instead of just a couple stages or portions of stages. I would also be down for a .22 steel match. I know that places currently allow .22 in steel challenge matches, but my experience has been mixed. In some cases, the targets are not dropped by a 22, and scoring becomes questionable.

This idea is very much a work in progress so suggestions are encouraged.

I use steel targets on my range at home. Paint them with white paint after as each competitor goes to the next stage and there will never be a question on a hit.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've heard of a private club that has "fun shoots" where the shooter walks a short trail and shoots saltine crackers. Biodegradable targets at various distances (none very long) and there is no question whether or not you've hit them. They had an ammo rule. If your ammo's regular price was more than $2 a box, either you were disqualified or you had to provide a box of the same ammo to each shooter. Helps keep it at a "fun shoot" level.

For a little more of a challenge, shooting Necco Wafers hot-glued to a paper target is also fun.

I voted 10/22 but all mine are scoped. If there are enough players, you might have to have different classes for optics and iron sights.

My suggestions are beginning to sound like a lot of rules, so my last one is KISS. :D

I like it. Walking trail like shooting an archery 3D shoot.

I've got "head" size steel target a little "V" could be welded on those so a Ritz cracker would sit in the middle for a "heart" shot on the cracker and lungs in the steel and a miss any where off the steel. Double tap with the rifle and double tap with a pistol. 2pnts in the heart, one in the lungs, quickest time from start to finish as a tie breaker.

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I would be up for the opportunity w/ a rimfire if it isn't too far away, rifle and or handgun. My son would be into it as well, and maybe even my daughter, and maybe even my wife.
    As long as guns are not pointed my direction, and people shoot/ operate w/ common sense which I'm sure won't be an issue, count me in!
    Great idea.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have not had any detailed discussions yet but in the 3 gun thread there has been a few posts..... suffice it to say there is interest, and also seems to be enough steel to have an interesting match. The next step is finding a range that will welcome us and designing a COF. I don't think targets or shooters is going to be a problem.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have not had any detailed discussions yet but in the 3 gun thread there has been a few posts..... suffice it to say there is interest, and also seems to be enough steel to have an interesting match. The next step is finding a range that will welcome us and designing a COF. I don't think targets or shooters is going to be a problem.

i'm sure that rhino and i can design a few interesting stages.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    If people are interested, I may be able to get ahold of some .22 reduced sized IPSC targets that are used overseas in countries that dont have handguns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hey I think you are going the wrong direction in terms of target size. Could we maybe get some refrigerator boxes? Then maybe I'll here that echo.... alpha alpha alpha alpha

Top Bottom