• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    My roommate and I typically go to Bend of the River and up near St. Joe Michigan for IDPA matches. We are currently at school in West Lafayette, and want to continue IDPA. We're going through some serious withdrawals.

Are there any IDPA matches on the weekends in Indy or the surrounding area? We're trying to keep the driving to an hour or so at max. ( Or else we might as well just drive back to South Bend and go up there. )

Thanks!

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    You just missed one last Saturday at Atlanta Gun Club north of Indy.
    Check out indygunracers.com for upcoming and past matches in Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wildcat Valley will resume IDPA in 2009.

Currently two clubs near Indy feature monthly IDPA: AtlantaCC and Hamilton Co. (in Noblesville).

There are also monthly IDPA matches at North Porter County CC (near Valparaiso) and Michigan City, which should both be closer than Bend of the River to West Lafayette.

And if you shoot IDPA, you should also at least try USPSA. Chances are you'll like it at least as much if not better. You can do both with exactly the same guns and gear, albeit you need more magazines for USPSA.

USPSA matches are held at Wildcat Valley, AtlantaCC, Warsaw, North Porter County, Angola, Ft. Wayne, South Central (near Seymour), Wabash Valley/RileyCC (near Terre Haute) and Silver Creek (near Jeffersonville/Louisville).

GO HERE FOR MATCH INFO: indygunracers.com - jump

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've never done anything like this before. How should I start? Especially since I don't even get out to the range nearly enough already.

I went and watched my first 2-3 matches. I wanted to get an idea of flow, range commands and scoring.

Approach the match director, introduce yourself as a new shooter and let them know you want to watch and help. You'll get pegged to help setup, tape targets/reset steel, and tear down.

The other thing I observe, as a new shooter is, what gear is everyone using? Belts, holsters, mag pouches, eyewear, hearing protection - everything.

I know gun owners are hesitant to get out and attend these matches as a new shooter. You do end up exposing yourself a bit. But, the bottom line is they are the best tests of your gear and gun handling abilities. And, we were all "new" to competition at one time or another so other shooters can and do relate, and are eager to help out.

My personal opinion is if you are going to own a gun, you should also be very aware of how to use it in pressure situations. Competition provides you a platform to do that.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I got up early this morning and went to the USPSA match in Atlanta. I got there early and helped set up. I had hoped to shoot however I didn't come across any of the fellows from here I had hoped to meet and I was short on gear i.e. mags mag holster's etc. Even though I was just a spectator I did meet a few new guys and defiantly got a feel thru observation as to the gear I am now looking to acquire. It was kinda a long drive to just watch and hang out 51 miles. The upside was when I got home I was free to take a nap instead of spending 2 hours cleaning my pistol, and I now have plenty of ammo for the next trip out. Also any intimidation I had is now gone in respect to my level of ability. There were folks of all ability levels shooting, from observation I should fall somewhere in the 50 to 60% range. The one thing that did surprise me is I saw allot of equipment malfunctions (all the pistols I saw out there today seemed to be of very high quality.) jams, mags not ejecting properly and even a few missfires. In my expirence this is the sort of stuff that happens when guys get to hasty in their reloading and use dirty and untrimmed cases that sort of thing. All in all it was a good day. I do not believe I would make that drive again just to watch. However, once I am geared I'll be back, so watch out guys..:chuck:...JC

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I've never done anything like this before. How should I start? Especially since I don't even get out to the range nearly enough already.

Wildcat will be having a "NEW to IDPA " clinic sometime in April 2009.. We have not worked out all details yets.

We have to get the club back registered with IDPA , line up ROs ( ya want to help?)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The one thing that did surprise me is I saw allot of equipment malfunctions (all the pistols I saw out there today seemed to be of very high quality.) jams, mags not ejecting properly and even a few missfires. In my expirence this is the sort of stuff that happens when guys get to hasty in their reloading and use dirty and untrimmed cases that sort of thing.

With temps in the 30's, it was probably the lube not cooperating with the cold. Some of the grease-type lubes will gum up the works in this type of weather.

And, who the hell cleans a gun after a match? :dunno: Crazy talk!!! :laugh:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    With temps in the 30's, it was probably the lube not cooperating with the cold. Some of the grease-type lubes will gum up the works in this type of weather.

And, who the hell cleans a gun after a match? :dunno: Crazy talk!!! :laugh:

I hope it didn't seem as if I were being critical of anyone. That certainly wasn't my intent. I was merely making a statement based on observation and personal experience. Cold weather can absolutely have an adverse effect in certain situations. When I lived in Alaska, operating in some times sub-zero temperatures, you had to take into consideration that at the air is denser and has adverse effects on velocity and trajectory. Under these conditions I found that as long as my weapon was clean and conservatively lubricated with a lightweight medium like Birchwood Casey Sheath, it kept problems with function to a minimum. I avoid grease type lubes in all conditions. In dry climates they tend to become permiated with dust particles and become gritty, they gum up in the cold and melt off in the heat. Under extreem cold conditions no lubracant other than graphite is reccomended...JC

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I know there were definitely some operator malfunctions out there in the cold today. Sometimes your fingers don't do what you want them to do when you can't feel them. With that said, I had one mechanical issue, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of my older mag springs is getting weak. I run my Glock pretty much dry with just a little bit of Militec (light oil) on the rails and barrel lock-up points.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Well I don't mind being the new guy in such situations. Gotta learn somewhere / sometime.

But I already know I'm short on gear (appropriate holster, extra mags, etc.) Hopefully in the spring I'll be joining some of you guys either at Atlanta or Wildcat. The "NEW to IDPA" clinic sounds like a great idea.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Adaptive Consulting & Training will have another "Introduction to Competition Shooting" class as soon as demand warrants it as well as private tutoring whenever someone wants it. The class focuses on USPSA, but I'll be there to answer questions about the similarities and differences with IDPA and other shooting sports.

birdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    As Rhino stated, and to elaborate, IDPA will be coming back to Wildcat Valley R&P starting April of 09.

Hopefully we will be running the 2nd Saturday of the month, and as soon as I have those dates firmed up with our club scheduler, I will make an announcement here and keep everyone apprised of any updates!

So yup, those in the Lafayette area, you will have a close club to shoot at this year. If you are in the area though, it is worth the drive to ACC/HCFG/NPCCC to attend those matches, they all put on great events.

ShooterDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    PM me with an email address and I can put you on the IDPA mailing list I maintain. Send out match information for Atlanta, Hamiliton county and others...

DonW.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I got up early this morning and went to the USPSA match in Atlanta. I got there early and helped set up. I had hoped to shoot however I didn't come across any of the fellows from here I had hoped to meet and I was short on gear i.e. mags mag holster's etc. Even though I was just a spectator I did meet a few new guys and defiantly got a feel thru observation as to the gear I am now looking to acquire. It was kinda a long drive to just watch and hang out 51 miles. The upside was when I got home I was free to take a nap instead of spending 2 hours cleaning my pistol, and I now have plenty of ammo for the next trip out. Also any intimidation I had is now gone in respect to my level of ability. There were folks of all ability levels shooting, from observation I should fall somewhere in the 50 to 60% range. The one thing that did surprise me is I saw allot of equipment malfunctions (all the pistols I saw out there today seemed to be of very high quality.) jams, mags not ejecting properly and even a few missfires. In my expirence this is the sort of stuff that happens when guys get to hasty in their reloading and use dirty and untrimmed cases that sort of thing. All in all it was a good day. I do not believe I would make that drive again just to watch. However, once I am geared I'll be back, so watch out guys..:chuck:...JC

I did not suffer a gun malfunction of any kind. Hands were cold but even they worked out. Did get a little spastic and shoot one white target. But overall a pretty good day in the cold.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    FWIW I have noticed that when shooting in cold weather (sub freezing) that I have had the best luck running a heavy dose of a thick OIL BASED lubricant. Water based lubes will freeze. I have used FP10 down to sub zero temps and never had a problem.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are some grease-type lubes that are fine in the cold. My favorite is TW25B. It's also good in the summer. If you want to use a grease, it's the way to go because it will not change in any temperatures you can tolerate. I use it on carry guns.

Some greases like Slide Glide are horrible in the cold and don't work that well in the first place, even though people swear by it.

Some liquid/oil lubes that work in all temperatures are the FP-10 like Mike mentioned and its descendant, WeaponShield, both of which are also CLP-type lubes. I use either on my ARs.

Kellube-12 is also good and straddles the viscosity line between grease and oil. I use it on most of my pistols.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    There are some grease-type lubes that are fine in the cold. My favorite is TW25B. It's also good in the summer. If you want to use a grease, it's the way to go because it will not change in any temperatures you can tolerate. I use it on carry guns.

Some greases like Slide Glide are horrible in the cold and don't work that well in the first place, even though people swear by it.

Some liquid/oil lubes that work in all temperatures are the FP-10 like Mike mentioned and its descendant, WeaponShield, both of which are also CLP-type lubes. I use either on my ARs.

Kellube-12 is also good and straddles the viscosity line between grease and oil. I use it on most of my pistols.

The only grease type lubes I really have had any experience with is that 1970's Vietnam era white military junk. Haven't touched or given them a chance sense. I'll revisit whats new on the market. With all the new synthetics I'm sure they have come leaps and bounds...JC

Top Bottom