Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks, I came here looking for just this exact thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwert9901 View Post
    where can you get into a match around indianapolis? and how old do you have to be?

South central gun club in Freetown is about an hour from Indy. Match this Sunday. Check out shooting sports. I am not aware of an age limit. I knowvwe have teenagers come with their parents.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

WVPPS is 1 hour from the Indianapolis airport.

www.wvpps.com for driving directions.
    Riley Conservation Club | Indiana Shooting Range | Terre Haute Indiana

No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

Drawing from the holster is permitted at Parabellum.

abright@ccrtc.com

Great info! thanks! hoping to get big into this year

Great to see this thread still alive and relevant nearly five years after it was written. Need to add some words about USPSA's new Carry Optics division (opinions withheld).

Nice I learned a lot for this post

Great info, thanks!! Really been thinking about giving IDPA or USPSA a try.

Since this thread was bumbed. Don't overthink "competitive" shooting. Just go have fun. Club matches have those who are serious competitors and those who are not. USPSA for example you don't have to join the organization or even the local club. It's a great way to test out your guns and gear. Just last week I shot at a local match and used a new gun that I was considering carrying on the street. Used a strong side IWB holster. If your gun can get through a 150-200 round match with no hiccups it is probably going to be reliable when you need it.

I often bring new guns to the local steel match when I want to test them out. Guys laughed at my shooting a bright blue Kimber sapphire because I was trying to diagnose problems. One time I brought a Walther PPQ with a weaponlight because I wanted to give it a good workout before placing it on nightstand duty.

Gear doesn't have to break the bank. Midway USA sells a private Lable competition belt for $20-$25. Instructors belts are another option. Bladetech makes a holster and dual mag pouch combo for about $45. A kydex Uncle Mikes holster is about $30, add a couple dual mag pouches for another $50. Either way you are talking about $100 to get going.

I picked up my stuff used and hung it on a Midway Belt. All totaled my "competition" rig cost me $130 for belt, holster, and mag pouches. I think my dad has about $180 in his rig buying all new stuff.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Great info! And thanks to the OP for the detailed write up. Sounds like a great way to get more fun out of a range trip than 1/2 an hour and a couple boxes of ammo.
    Because a holster full of prevention is better than than headstone

Going to my first steel match tomorrow (ACC).

Is considered gauche to pick up your brass? I assume because of time constraints, this is a no-no. What is considered proper?

Great thread, thanks!!!

James

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast