Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 121
  1. #11
    Expert Cowboy1629's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Great summery, makes me want to get into this type of shooting again. It has been around 15 years since I competed from the ground. These past years I have competed off horseback where the main rule was not to shoot yourself or your horse as well as not falling off your horse.

    I think I still have most of my equipment so maybe I will make it out to a couple of matches this year.

  2. #12
    Grandmaster Stschil's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Awesome summary! I, like a lot of other folks, have wondered what it took to get started. Your post was much appreciated.

    I would like to watch a match or two before I make a decision to become a participant. Are spectators allowed? Do you have to be invited by a club member to observe or can you 'crash'?
    Tolerance is rarely practiced by those who demand it.

  3. #13
    Master DustyDawg48's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stschil View Post
    Awesome summary! I, like a lot of other folks, have wondered what it took to get started. Your post was much appreciated.

    I would like to watch a match or two before I make a decision to become a participant. Are spectators allowed? Do you have to be invited by a club member to observe or can you 'crash'?
    Just do a Google search for IDPA or USPSA clubs near you and then head out. Most matches, even if held at a range that requires membership, will be open to the public. For my first match I emailed one of the directors just to make sure and that way I had one contact name there and I wasn't going in completely alone! Doing it, showing up for a match, is the hardest thing you'll do; going again if you didn't have quite the results you wanted is the second hardest thing!

    The only problem with going and being an observer is most people I've seen do that are soon kicking themselves because they are standing around watching everybody else have fun. The last guy that did that ended up learning to keep score, which was a big help since the scorekeeper (me) could relax and be just spend a shoot being a shooter!

    The biggest advice is RUN don't walk to your nearest shoot and DO IT! At the worst you'll have spent $15 to find out you don't like it but I'd lay money you'll have a mile-wide grin on your face after doing it that first time. I know I drove straight home and joined the IDPA immediately after my first match back in January of 2009...my only regret is not having done it sooner.

  4. #14
    Grandmaster HICKMAN's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stschil View Post
    I would like to watch a match or two before I make a decision to become a participant. Are spectators allowed? Do you have to be invited by a club member to observe or can you 'crash'?
    There are people who've shot USPSA for years and never joined, it's all up to you.

    Spectators are always welcome to come watch, learn and see what it's all about. Many of the clubs have open houses just to show what all is available.

    Come on out! We were all new shooters once and love showing people the ropes, since we've had others do it for us.

  5. #15
    Grandmaster

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy1629 View Post
    Great summery, makes me want to get into this type of shooting again. It has been around 15 years since I competed from the ground. These past years I have competed off horseback where the main rule was not to shoot yourself or your horse as well as not falling off your horse.

    I think I still have most of my equipment so maybe I will make it out to a couple of matches this year.
    I know another from the West Central Indiana area that is going to start shooting USPSA again after a several year absence. Come on out!
    Luddite Curmudgeon #2

  6. #16
    Expert crispy's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Great summary!

    Maybe I can ask some questions and the OP can modify the original or someone else can chime in?

    1. Can someone speak to "concealment"? Required for IDPA, but what about USPSA? What does everyone use? (I don't own a fishing vest) What do people use when it is cold?

    2. Magazine holders in USPSA? Unlimited?

    And I have all sorts of questions about when can you change a magazine in both, but I figure I'll figure that out when they penalize me...

    And then STICKY this baby!
    Last edited by crispy; 02-14-2011 at 10:41.

  7. #17
    Grandmaster turnandshoot4's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    This should be a sticky.

  8. #18
    Master slow1911s's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Just do a Google search for IDPA or USPSA clubs near you and then head out.
    Or you could just look here Indygunracers.com - Indiana Competition Shooting Info

  9. #19
    Master riverman67's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Great summary!

    Maybe I can ask some questions and the OP can modify the original or someone else can chime in?

    1. Can someone speak to "concealment"? Required for IDPA, but what about USPSA? What does everyone use? (I don't own a fishing vest) What do people use when it is cold?

    2. Magazine holders in USPSA? Unlimited?

    The usual number is 3 to 5 depending on your division, 3-4 for limited , 4-5 for production, 5-6 for single stack

    And I have all sorts of questions about when can you change a magazine in both, but I figure I'll figure that out when they penalize me...

    In Uspsa you can change anytime unless a reload is dictated by the stage rules. I haven't shot IDPA yet so I can't answer

    And then STICKY this baby!
    Just come out with what you have and you will figure it out by the time the first match is over
    Luddite Crumudgeon #1

  10. #20
    Grandmaster lovemachine's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for all the info! It was very informative! I'm very glad to see that I have all that I need to start. I'm hoping to step into the competitive world soon.
    Best. Christmas. Ever.
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...tmas-ever.html

    Adoption Journey.
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...ml#post6072842

    Lost? Try GPS.
    God's Plan for Salvation.

    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •