Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Great summary!

Maybe I can ask some questions and the OP can modify the original or someone else can chime in?

1. Can someone speak to "concealment"? Required for IDPA, but what about USPSA? What does everyone use? (I don't own a fishing vest) What do people use when it is cold?
    USPSA and IPSC do not require concealment and it's actually unusual to see it at a USPSA match (in some states it would be illegal!). When you do see someone shooting from concealment, they usually have objectives that do not necessarily coincide with winning the pistol match. BarryIN is someone you will see do it, and he actually does well in the results anyway. I do it sometimes too.

For IDPA, the best bet is to conceal the way you normally do, appropriate for the weather. If you really wear a fishing vest, wear it. If you wear a jacket, wear it. If you wear an untucked shirt, wear that. For most people, the fishing vest serves the purpose of being a "uniform" for IDPA. For some, it's a competition tool to allow them to draw more quickly and consistently because vests can be arranged to be swept clear of the gun very easily. Yeah, some people really do wear them, but I only know one person who really does all the time.

2. Magazine holders in USPSA? Unlimited?
    Depends on the division. The rule book has a set of appendices at the end with equipment rules for all divisions. The most restrictive rules are for production and single stack divisions, but it's more about where you can put them on your belt than the type of mag carrier.

And I have all sorts of questions about when can you change a magazine in both, but I figure I'll figure that out when they penalize me...
    In USPSA, you can change magazines whenever you choose, although some standards/classifiers may require magazine changes at certain times. In IDPA, most mag changes must occur behind cover if it exists, except for standard exercises.
    Last edited by rhino; 02-14-2011 at 21:38.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Sharpshooter
    and put ‘em in the middle (thanks, Jim).[/quote]

thanks for the reminder

excellent post dave, id rep you more if it would let me.

Quote Originally Posted by HICKMAN View Post
    yup, and is there anything more boring than standing in a lane shooting the same piece of paper?
    I could name a few...shoe shopping with the wife...going to the grocery store...an evening with the mother in law

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett72 View Post
    I could name a few...shoe shopping with the wife...going to the grocery store...an evening with the mother in law
    you do have a point...though I don't have the pleasure of any of the wife and mother in law thing...but I can see where there are worse things in life.
    Luddite Curmudgeon #2

Quote Originally Posted by DougBarnes101 View Post
    As for the 9 mm Kimber you can shoot single stack with it (I am with my 9 mm STI Spartan) but you will be shooting minor. But if you choose you can use 10 round magazines to major shooters 8 round.
    Do the 10 rounders still fit the box?
    You can make excuses or you can make ready.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    Do the 10 rounders still fit the box?
    yes the 10 round 9mm do, they are the same length as a standard .45 mag
    "Well Jakey, it's a bit ambitious" -Ken Skeeters

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I thought that IDPA had changed the rules recently to either allow .22LR or to add a separate class for .22LR

Not that I've ever heard of. It's supposed to mimic real life situations and unless your carry gun is a .22.......
    You can make excuses or you can make ready.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofWinter View Post
    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I thought that IDPA had changed the rules recently to either allow .22LR or to add a separate class for .22LR
    No
    you may have heard a club shoot an IDPA style match with .22lr, but there is not .22 division in IDPA

from the
    International Defensive Pistol Association

The firearms are grouped into five (5) divisions: 1) Custom Defensive Pistol (.45ACP semi-automatics only); 2) Enhanced Service Pistol (9mm (9x19) or larger caliber semi-automatics); 3) Stock Service Pistol (9mm (9x19) or larger caliber double action, double action only, or safe action semi-automatics); 4) Enhanced Service Revolver (.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers); and 5) Stock Service Revolver (.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers). See Appendix One – Equipment for delineations in the revolver divisions. Shooters are then classed by like-skill levels with progression from Novice (NV); to Marksman (MM); to Sharpshooter (SS); to Expert (EX); and, finally, to Master (MA).
    "Well Jakey, it's a bit ambitious" -Ken Skeeters

If shooting USPSA would a Fobus 2 mag carrier work ok, and then maybe one extra mag in the back pocket, "just in case"? I'm just asking because I already have the mag carrier, and have practiced a bit with it.

I originally bought it for range fun/drills, but I'm interested in trying some steel/USPSA matches.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast