Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Here's a copy of the email announcement for the match:

Bowling Pin Match

Marion County Fish & Game Association
    Saturday November 22, 2008

Weather weasels say it will be cold but not wet yet on Saturday.
    This time of year the weather can change quickly.
    Hopefully there will be no rain or snow.
    So, bundle up and come out to shoot some evil bowling pins.

I'll be there at 8am to set up

We start shooting shortly after 8:30

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Official cell phone video of MCF&G bowling pin shoot: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7NxB0LLtb0"]YouTube - GSG-5 at Bowling Pins[/ame]

O.K., so it's not so official.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup, was there last time. A lot fun, even in this kind of cold (too cold for the wife, had to pull out before the end of 22 pin head match). I didn't know I was good enough to make two bucks last longer than one round of fire... :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone know if "watchers" are welcome? If it's not "too" cold, I think I'd like to watch the competition.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know if "watchers" are welcome? If it's not "too" cold, I think I'd like to watch the competition.
    Spectators are welcome to watch , but why?? it's so much fun you'll want to get in the brackets once you see a round. :) My advice? Bring your gun just in case!

I'd be there but I have a broken foot and can't 'gimp' well enough on grass. maybe next month...

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I'd be there but I have a broken foot and can't 'gimp' well enough on grass. maybe next month...

Pinhead,
    Hope you get well soon. We've wondereded where you've been.
    Guess that soccer career is on hold for a while.

Indy_Guy,
    Spectators with eye protection and hearing protection are welcome.
    Take Pinheads advice and bring your firearm(s) just in case.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I can't wait. Bringing a new member who will shoot pins for the first time.
    Dress warm!
    Hay Browndog, got a new toy (revolver) to add to the collection. Got to try it out on the pins. It is unique.
    See ya'll there.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    How many rounds should one bring? Providing said person was able to clear the table with 1 shot per pin. Hypothetically speaking that is.

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I'd say 150 for each gun should get you through.
    My problem is what to shoot. Plan on bringing a 9mm, 357 and a 45 in addition to a 22 for pin-heads at the end.
    It all depends on how much you miss!

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    How much harder is if for the 9mm vs the 45s. I have shot a (one) bowling pin and it seemed like the 9mm wanted to go thru more that blast off the table.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    AllenM,
    If you went 5 for 5 at each opportunity (seldom does this happen) you would use 25 round per bracket. We usually complete 4 brackets, sometimes only 3. Most people require a realod (you can load up to 7 rounds per magazine), often the third magazine is needed - and on occasion another. Actually. the trick is to slow down and hit the pin.
    I am not one of the better shooters, but I usually do not need more than 150 rounds for the day.

glock34,
    9mm can work well for pins because we consider it in the minor category and place the bowling pin in the center of the table. (so it has about 1 foot less distance to travel to get off the table) Regular old WWB 115 grain 9mm ammo is not very effective. 147 grain HP 9mm ammo seems to work much better. Mass of the projectile is an important part of the foumula.

Our best shooter usually shoots 240 grain bullets from a 44 magnum revolver but downloaded to 44 special velocities. He seldom misses, so, the slow but heavy bullet is very effictive. It will be very cold Saturday morning, the pins will shatter, so who knows what will work best. 230 grain 45 acp usually works fine.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I shot pins for my first time last month, and used my glock 19 with 115 grain WWB ammo. it did knock them off the table, but more mass would have been alot better. I found that most of the time each pin took 2 shots to get it off the table. the first would knock it over, then the second would roll it off.

I will tell you know, shooting those suckers is harder than it looks!

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's much harder when the pin is lying on the table. I found my shot were on target when the pins were upright, but when they were down, but not off, I was hitting low at the table. That's why heavier bullets are desirable. One shot would be a lot more likely to clear one off the table...:)

Top Bottom