• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigman502

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    2   1   1
    Feb 27, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I was just wanting to know what you fellas that are into the shooting sports could tell me about your experience.I am looking to get started shooting some matches and was wondering if anyone could reccomend a gun to use.I asssume most people use glock 17s etc.I probley will need to get a full size polymer 9mm pistol to get started?I already have a Beretta 92fs and maybe I could use that?Anyways I need a hobby to keep myself outta trouble and I love shooting so i figured Id give it a shot!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not sure about where IDPA is shot anymore. There are a fair amount of USPSA (IPSC) matches on any given weekend though. There is a club by you at Sellersberg. Firearms are such a personal issue. Whatever firearm that is A. Dependable. B.You like and C. You shoot well. I would recommend a S&W M&P or Glock but your Beretta could be used in Production class for IPSC and would be on a fair playing field. Also with production in IPSC a 9mm is scored the same as a 40 so that would save $$ as far as money especially when most matches (IPSC) you will need at least 150. And I am probably lowballing.

Good luck

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    IDPA

Your 92 Beretta will work fine. Glocks are prob. the most used pistol you will find at a match but there is also a big 1911 following as well.
    You will need at least 3 magazines and a mag. pouch that will hold 2 of those mags. a cover /concealment garment ( Vest/ Jacket/ Big Shirt ) anything that will hide your firearm.
    I highly suggest you check out the IDPA website , it can be very helpful. Local matches are ( for me anyway) ACC= Atlanta Conservation Club in Atlanta, IN
    WVRP= Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club near Brookston ,IN
    Come to a match ( bring your gear, people will come to watch and then make the comment "I wish I had brought my gear ) and there are plenty of people that will help you understand the matches and stages that will be setup. ROs ( Range Officers) are very helpful in explaining what you need to do on a specific stag.
    IDPA shooters are a great bunch of people. I have been involved in IDPA since the late 90s and love it , although I dont have the time to shoot many matchanymore ,I go when I can. Goodluck and I hope I will get a chance to meet you at a match oneday.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I would say either a Sig 2022,M&P,or of course there is Glock. I like my 2022 alot and my M&P is great too! The best thing you could do is buy some steel targets from Bobcat Steel and practice,practice,practice! I believe Coach and the guys at ACT teach classes that are geared for competition shooting too,just a FYI. Check them out. I think they have a class coming up soon that isnt full yet. Those guys have been shooting comps for years.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Use what you shoot most, provided it's legal for the sport you choose, and your Beretta 92 is legal in everything I know about.
    If you use a gun you are comfortable with, it will help you a lot in your first match. Where first time people often get all flustered is in doing the administrative functions like unloading to show clear and things like that. If you use a gun you are used to handling, the chances of trouble there will be greatly reduced.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    A few things you should know about IDPA handguns:
    If you are going to shoot IDPA you will likely want to avoid pistols with a single/double action unless you have some trigger work done as the first long pull can kill your score.

You will be allowed 10 rounds per mag and a top off (10+1) in most stages. thus it is a disadvantage to have a magazine with fewer rounds as you will have more mag changes.

In the IDPA magazine they recently did a run down of what guns people were using at the big matches. Overwhelmingly Glocks then some M&Ps, XD/XDm, and finally a few Sigs and others thrown in.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I recomend not buying anything yet. Go to a few matches and shoot what you have, watch, listen and learn. Most of the people at the matches are really great and have no problem letting you run their gun through a stage so you can try it out. Where else can you go and have the chance to shoot several different brands style and sizes of pistols for free? Then after you get a feel for what direction you want to go and how involved you want to be you can make an informed purchase. You will be much happier make some great friends, shoot different guns and learn about the sport. I have seen so many people come out and shoot 1 match then buy a butt load of stuff to find later that it doesn't work for them. I did this with an m&p pro I bought shot a few matches with it to figure out it was not for me.

Take your time, have fun, don't get caught up in the equipment game, don't worry about being competitive right off the bat. Make your hits and the speed will come with time.

We have an IDPA match the first Saturday of every month at Red Brush Rifle Range we are not that far from you really. Come on up and I will help you all I can.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Your Beretta 92 will work just fine. Spend a couple bucks on a lighter mainspring to improve the double action; then spend a 1/2-hr per evening for a couple weeks dryfiring. you'll be considerably more improved than if you simply went out and spent several hundred bucks on a gun not knowing if it's really what you want.

Once you have shot some matches, and gotten a chance to check out other competitor's gear, ask Qs, figure out what works and what doesn't for YOU, THEN go spend money on a gun if you feel you need to.

I've heard It's possible to do pretty well w/ a 92.

-rvb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    any full size or compact "defensive" caliber gun will work.
    avoid micro compact guns like kahr or keltec ones.
    choose a gun that you are comfortable with dry firing, don't mind putting a few hundred rounds thru in a short time.. and can afford to feed lots of ammo..
    a match can range from 100 shots fired to 200 or more..

as mentioned above, 3 mags - a good holster - mag holsters.. and cover garment is all you need to join the matches..

wildcat is hosting an IDPA match this coming weekend.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've heard It's possible to do pretty well w/ a 92.

-rvb

I don't believe you! HAHA!

Seriously, excellent advice from all. If you have a Beretta, three mags, a good belt and holster, eye and hearing protection, you're good to go. Just bring it and shoot.

Top Bottom