• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've been shooting the same Beretta 92 since '05, it's getting fairly high round count, Beretta hasn't made a competition model in years, so I've decided to see for myself what color the grass is on the other side...

So I picked up a gen-3 Glock 34.

I'm going to keep it pretty much stock for next year, with the possible exception of sights (and possibly the mag release and slide stop from a 17, this mag release is starting to tear into my WH!).

Just thought you in the glock club might be interested to know you have gained another!

I just hope it lives up to the hype after all the years of stone cold reliability my beretta gave me....

-rvb

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    For your intended purpose, I suggest the following.

Polish the FCG to a mirror finish.
    Install an LWD 3.5# connector.
    Replace the sights. (I prefer the Dawson front fiber optic and the Kensight rear adjustable. I found the Dawson rear adjustable to be poorly engineered.)
    Run a SS un-captured guide rod with a 14lb recoil spring.
    Replace the slide stop, the factory extended sucks and can cause an unintended stoppage.
    Take a Dremel to the factory extended mag release, that way you can get it to the exact length you find more comfortable.

While there are other trigger mods that can be done, they are not necessary. (Especially for a seasoned shooter such as yourself.) However, IMHO, the above mentioned components will greatly improve the gun for your purpose.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Ryan, it is possible that a hard nosed RO might deem it illegal. But considering that you are not adding an extended button and you are not gaining an "equipment" advantage, I still say your GTG.

That said, I find that the factory standard mag release is a slight bit too short for me, so I either mod a factory extended release or buy the Vickers/Tango Down model.

The Vickers part is perfect IMHO in every way, it has the right length so as not to be engaged on table starts and/or holster interference. The corners are also rounded leaving no sharp spots. Down side is the $$, factory mag releases are $3 the Vickers is $16-17, but it will not look modified to a discerning hard nosed RO compared to a Dremeled part.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Ryan, it is possible that a hard nosed RO might deem it illegal. But considering that you are not adding an extended button and you are not gaining an "equipment" advantage, I still say your GTG.

That said, I find that the factory standard mag release is a slight bit too short for me, so I either mod a factory extended release or buy the Vickers/Tango Down model.

The Vickers part is perfect IMHO in every way, it has the right length so as not to be engaged on table starts and/or holster interference. The corners are also rounded leaving no sharp spots. Down side is the $$, factory mag releases are $3 the Vickers is $16-17, but it will not look modified to a discerning hard nosed RO compared to a Dremeled part.

I've been anxiously awaiting how you were going to respond to that question. ;)

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Funny, when I bought the POS, err, I mean Glock 34, they(can't remember who) told me I had to replace the extended mag release and slide stop for Production.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Funny, when I bought the POS, err, I mean Glock 34, they(can't remember who) told me I had to replace the extended mag release and slide stop for Production.

Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts. Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. Special Notes/Clarifications:
    • Barrels are considered “external parts” and are sub- ject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.
    • A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.
    • Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OEM parts” if the custom- shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts. Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. Special Notes/Clarifications:
    • Barrels are considered “external parts” and are sub- ject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.
    • A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.
    • Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OEM parts” if the custom- shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.
    That's what I'm saying. Those parts are factory extended on the 34.
    Maybe "they" were recommending, rather than requiring. I understand English a little better than I do Glockish.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    rvb, I'm surprised you didn't go with a CZ.

Another heavy gun shooting 9mm would have been sweet.

Never had a strong opinion about pistol weight.... whether it's a fullsize 1911 or a polymer, I've never seen a significant difference on the timer. the heavier one might reduce muzzle rise, which can make calling the shot easier, but there's certainly more factors there than just weight (eg bore height, grip texture, springing, etc).

I like CZs, but wanted to try something significatnly different. If it doesn't work out w/ the 34, they are on the list.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    some initial thoughts from my range diary over on enos...

I spent a little time dryfiring last night. I don't have a holster yet, or my mag pouches converted over to take the glock mags, so this was all grip and trigger control.

trigger is heavy! I'm spoiled by the 3.0lb triggers on my beretta and my 1911. I didn't weight this thing but it's got to be over 5lb.

The reach to the trigger is noticibly longer than on the 92, which is great! I was actually getting best results with the trigger right in the middle of the pad of my trigger finger, vs in the joint.

gun stays steadier when the shot breaks than my hammer fired guns. Lock time is definately faster than my lightly sprung beretta, and there's no hammer mass hitting the gun to add wobble. This gun seems more forgiving of a light grip or an imperfect trigger press (may be equally due to better positioning of the finger on the trigger).

'beavertail' is slightly wider than the 92, and my grip has the left corner of it riding on the bone of the knuckle for my thumb, resulting in a grip that doesn't feel very solid... I'm experimenting with rolling the gun slightly counterclockwide in my grip. This gets me a more solid (and more comfortable) grip on the gun, but I'm not indexing it well.

I ordered a G17 mag release. The extended one on the 34 is chewing into my WH. Mags were not dropping out, but there was no recoil either. Damn these glock parts are cheap, so might as well experiment...

The sights suck. Going to start by painting them all black, which will help. But certainly a thinner front sight will be needed, not much light around the factory part. Gobs of options for glock sights, going to be tough to choose... then I'll have to decide if I want to go fiber or give solid irons a try again...

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    There are several ways to lighten the trigger either with old school home trigger job (polishing) or drop in components. But the factory 34 should have a 3.5lb trigger unless some one has changed it. Also the striker fired pistols are another animal compared to a single action. It is something that you have to get use to which I am sure that you are well aware of. Craig was right the factory slide release will screw you when you least excpect it specially if you have a high WH grip like I do. I just cut the extended peice off. Worked like a charm. Its not like your gonna use it anyway!! The older Flat releases work really well too Thats what I have on my 24 limited gun. Also weather or not legal or not I under cut all of my glocks trigger guards for me it is 100% better.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Give it some time and you will love your Glock. Yep, it's one of the ugliest guns you will find with an awkward cant but I promise if you stick with it for one year the gun will prove why more people shot Glock 34's at the IDPA Nationals than any other gun. I love guns, all guns, but I'm hooked on the Glock 34 / 35 for competition.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have shot just about everything and tried it in competitions, going to be ordering a 34 to use in production, looking forward to it and getting the consistent trigger pull that I can't get from a CZ

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have shot just about everything and tried it in competitions, going to be ordering a 34 to use in production, looking forward to it and getting the consistent trigger pull that I can't get from a CZ

If/when you sell the Shadow, lemme know! I might be interested in acquiring another.

Personally, after the 3rd match or so, I stopped noticing the different pulls. Probably helps that production is all I shoot. It'd likely be more noticeable if I was jumping back and forth from a 2011 or Open gun.

Top Bottom