• ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Hello,

I am interested in participating in some IDPA competitions this year. I am looking at 9mm pistols and it seems that the Glock 17,34 and M&P Pro 9 are pretty common since they can be used in a number of divisions. I was wondering about the Springfield Armory XDM 4.5 9mm as an option? I already own 3.8 9mm XDM and feel it would be easy to adjust to the 4.5 inch barrel.

Thanks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Your currently owned XDM 3.8 would be fine, especially to start. A longer-barreled version later would serve you well and you already know how to make it work.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Thanks for the advice Rhino. I was looking at the XDM 5.25 today. The black rear and front HiViz sights where much different than I am used to with my 3.8 so that is why I am leaning towards a 4.5" barrel. What disadvantage would I have in the ESP compared to the SSP division? I am still learning so I do not expect to be any kind of a major force soon :)

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the advice Rhino. I was looking at the XDM 5.25 today. The black rear and front HiViz sights where much different than I am used to with my 3.8 so that is why I am leaning towards a 4.5" barrel. What disadvantage would I have in the ESP compared to the SSP division? I am still learning so I do not expect to be any kind of a major force soon :)

Enhanced you would be shooting against 9mm 1911's, and custom built STI framed .40s&w guns that are purpose built competion guns.
    The xdm 5.25 is a nice gun and with some trigger work it slick up very nice. There have been several uspsa shooters talking about including rob leatham and they all say the samething that accuracy out of the box is great but the trigger needs some fine tuning

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just my :twocents: but I would suggest just running what you've got for a little while until you get the feel for the matches. Once you're around it a bit you will figure out what division you want to be in and can go from there.

I've seen several different types of guns in ESP- everything from stock Taurus model 92 clones to tuned Dan Wesson 1911 9mm. I end up in ESP because I sometimes shoot an M&P 9 with a mag chute on it.

On the other hand, you do have justification to get a new firearm:D

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I would agree if others shoot what you've got when starting out. That way you're familiar with your gun. You're going to potentially have system overload with your first few matches (I know I just started shooting IDPA myself). I wouldn't worry about the classification right now.

Just get your feet wet and have fun. Ask questions and be safe. I've found in this game -people are willing to share and help with whatever you need or ask. I shot at Bend on the River near Niles MI today. There were several new and newer shooters (again I'm in that bucket). Already have next month's match on my calendar.

Welcome and after your first stage, you'll have the fever......:draw:

Best,

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just my :twocents: but I would suggest just running what you've got for a little while until you get the feel for the matches. Once you're around it a bit you will figure out what division you want to be in and can go from thete.

Right here! Go shoot a few matches and see what others are using. I have yet to run into a shooter that would be afraid to give their opinion on what they shoot and why. My IDPA gear looks nothing like it did just 2 short years ago. Don't buy anything except ammo until you've had a fair chance to see what is out there.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If your serious about competition I'd pick one gun and stick with it however if your not sure which gun to pick I would wait. Pick a gun you can fall in love with. It will make you want to shoot more!

Top Bottom