• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I am sure that there will be a formal anouncement, but tagging this thread just so I can remember.

Probably gonna be a cold one out there next time.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Next match will be Sat. 1/28 @ 1PM. Unless we have a freak warm spell, we'll be shooting TX Stars. The club now has two of them now, so we'll be shooting head-to-head with brackets like we do for bowling pin matches.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Next match will be Sat. 1/28 @ 1PM. Unless we have a freak warm spell, we'll be shooting TX Stars. The club now has two of them now, so we'll be shooting head-to-head with brackets like we do for bowling pin matches.

So just two Texas stars instead of pins? Or am I missing something? I've never been

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

Awesome! Count me in, unless something in the schedule changes I will be there. I had a blast shooting that thing at the last pin shoot.

Have you all ever thought about getting a dueling tree? That could be pretty fun as well. And about half the cost of a Texas Star.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

Congrats on buying the new Texas Star! I think this will be a great addition to the program and to the club in general. It's nice to see our Match fees go towards something fun!

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Have you all ever thought about getting a dueling tree? That could be pretty fun as well.

One or two people I talked to about ideas for cold weather options suggested dueling trees. I have never shot one before, but I looked at some video on line.

In the end just about everybody I mentioned the TX Star idea to thought it sounded like fun. I figured a lot of people were familiar with TX Stars and that might draw in some new shooters. Also, I'm hoping Friday Night Steel can put a second TX Star to use and we will see them more often at that event.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Will we be shooting at the back of the range again, or up under the awning?

Looks like I may have another shooter coming up from bloomington with me. Anyone else want to carpool up let me know.

Last edited:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I'm considering it as well.

What's the round count and cost to shoot?

Assuming the same format as pin shooting, it would be double elimination bracket style. So minimum 10 rounds per bracket and up to 20-25 if I recall. Last time we were able to get two brackets in.

Cost was 4 per bracket for non members.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Assuming the same format as pin shooting, it would be double elimination bracket style. So minimum 10 rounds per bracket and up to 20-25 if I recall. Last time we were able to get two brackets in.

Cost was 4 per bracket for non members.

Just to clarify, it's not true double elimination. You are guaranteed two rounds. So if you loose your first time you go into a "loosers" bracket. And can win your way to the final round. I thought it was true double elimination my first time and was very confused.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What's the round count and cost to shoot?

For a non-member it's $4/bracket. When we shoot bowling pins, we rarely shoot more than three brackets (So $12 in match fees max).

We've never shot a TX Star match before, so I'm just guessing on round count. But I suppose if you had trouble clearing the star, but win a bunch of time because you got paired against people that had even more trouble than you, you could go through a bunch of ammo. I'm going to bring a 100-150 rounds just to be on the safe side.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Will we be shooting at the back of the range again, or up under the awning?

If it is bitter cold and/or the wind is blowing we'll shoot from under the covered firing line.

If the weather is decent, we'll probably set up in front of the 50 yard berm like they do for Friday Night Steel.

Top Bottom