• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianabc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    You can go to your first match without being a member and shoot it. The round count is usually around 100 but they will tell you the count for the match before in an email with all the times and such. Eyes, Ears, IDPA approved holster style, rounds and usually about 15.00 dollars for the match fee.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I have been shooting IDPA for about a year now. I can tell you the set-up I started with. The basic idea of IDPA is to replicate possible real life situations. As such, the gear is basically your everyday carry gear.

Any gun suitable for everyday concealed carry is most probably a legal IDPA gun. I started with a stock S&W M&P 9mm in a Raven holster (no "race" guns or "race" holsters allowed in IDPA). You will need 3 magazines and two magazine holsters (again, the mag holsters have to be suitable for concealed carry). You also need a concealment garment ... some use the usual photojournalist vest ... I just use a zippered sweatshirt. You also need eye and ear protection.

Most IDPA matches I have been to have minimum round counts of around 50-100 rounds. I usually bring at least double just to be safe. The organiser usually states the minimum round count in the match announcement.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You can find the rules at International Defensive Pistol Association

In short, you will need a handgun, OWB holster and at least 3 magazines (in holsters or pocket). Any kind of garment that can cover all that stuff on your belt.

Just take whatever you've got to the first match and the folks there will more than likely start filling you in and what's good to go with your gear and what's not. Most important of all is just to go to a match and shoot.

IDPA courses of fire cannot exceed 18 rounds. So if you know the number of courses you're club will shoot, multiply it by 18 and add 50 to be safe (reshoots, etc).

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Bill is absolutely, positively, unequivically, 100% correct! I thought the the same thing as you my first time but was told to bring my gear anyway. I did. Oh, how right they were. (addicted):D

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Congrats on getting in the game. Good advice above. Tell the Range Officer this is your first shoot and you'll get plenty of help. I've shot a couple of events using a Glock 19, Com-Tac paddle holster, and three mags. I usually shoot Winchester White Box as my Glock seems to eat them up. I do have a double mag carrier and wear a long-sleeve shirt, unbuttoned for cover.

As far as rounds go call or ask at the club. I usually take 150 to 200 rounds and have never had an issue.

Pls report back how it goes. My guess is a hooked new shooter when you're done. Have fun and be safe.
    Best,

Andrew68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    First I need to save up and get the correct gun, holster and extra mags/mag holster. I currently have a nice .22 and a cheap .45. I don't want to spend that much in ammo with the 45, (and I only have one mag for it). As far as I have seen I cannot use the .22 and I am on a pretty tight budget, trying to move into a bigger house...someday:) I don't have enough posts yet to list some stuff in the classifieds. That would help!

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Hit my first match earlier this month. I echo the previous sentiments: do not under any circumstances go without your gear. I had no idea what to expect, but grabbed a buddy and headed out. Signed up, got in a group of shooters, and watched and learned before taking my turn. I had some of the worst course of fire times of the day, and had the best time I've ever had shooting a pistol. I went for the adrenaline rush of being in a pressured shooting scenario, with the intent of making myself more prepared should the unimaginable ever occur and I have to draw my EDC in earnest. I plan on going back every time I'm able. My next task is to get my wife to go.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Andrew where are you located at? If you come to one of our matches at Red Brush I will loan you a pistol, mags, holster and mag carrier all you will need is a couple boxes of ammo.

Andrew68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    I am on Indy's west side. I looked at your range's web site. It looks like a really nice place to shoot. I really appreciate the offer, and I will think about it but that is a trek for not knowing what I am getting into. I also want to do an Appleseed shoot with my son in Bedford so I am torn about which way to go first. Thanks for the offer though!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Is Atlanta closer?
    I was told at the IDPA Shoot that i go to that you can use a .22 if you wish, (saw one used) it's just that the scores will not be scored with IDPA. But you will get scored for your purposes. It's a thought and it IS a lot of fun!!

Top Bottom