• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So I have read the rule book and I have a question. I understand there should be no "day light" between the gun and my body. I understandI offset holsters are not allowed fort men. Most idpa approved holsters I have looked at brag about holding the gun very tight to the body. I have love handles and im wondering what the best holster for me would be... I doubt that the ones that pull the gun extra tight to the body would be good for me because I would need to contort my body to draw... your thoughts please..

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I may be mistaken but I think the daylight part is more about the standoff between the belt and holster than the actual gun and your body. There is a picture that shows a gun's belt loops that have better than 1/2" of daylight through it; as long as there isn't any daylight in the belt area I think you are OK. That is my interpretation but your mileage may vary!

If you haven't already started shooting IDPA just yet, go shoot a few matches with whatever you happen to have at the moment and then talk to other shooters about what they use. Names like Raven, Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, Safariland will keep showing up. If you happen to shoot a Glock, I can't recommend the Glock Sport/Combat holster enough. I've used mine for over 3 years as a daily carry holster plus IDPA holster until I finally found the right holsters for me...the Raven Phantom.

The only other piece of advice I would give is don't be put off by the cost of some holsters. More often than not you genuinely get what you pay for and quality materials and quality workmanship does cost a bit extra. Stay away from the inexpensive nylon holsters with a velcro thumb strap and you'll start out happier and stay that way!

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I don't have any holster right now... I was looking at the safariland 6378 ALS holster. Any thoughts? Is a paddle or belt mount better for idpa/uspsa? I would think belt mount would be better but most say paddles are what I should buy. Im all about buy once and be happy...so $75 for a holster doesn't scare me...

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any holster right now... I was looking at the safariland 6378 ALS holster. Any thoughts? Is a paddle or belt mount better for idpa/uspsa? I would think belt mount would be better but most say paddles are what I should buy. Im all about buy once and be happy...so $75 for a holster doesn't scare me...

Paddle on the Safariland. The 561 is another good choice.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I second the Com-Tac. I use the paddle for a Glock 19 and it works really well. I ordered mine took about 7 days to get. They do a great job of keeping you informed about delivery dates.

My back-up is the inexpensive Glock holster (I have and do use this one for carry). Unbelievable value for the $.

Have fun and be safe!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Not to be dense, but why a paddle over belt holster? I like $100 deal with the double mag carrier and the paddle holster, but my ignorance to the sport is making me think the belt holster is better...

Its for an M&P 9

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    For me it will double as a carry holster.

I had Comp-tac kit with my last 1911 and loved it. The paddle holster is really good easy to put on.

I'll order the quad mag carrier here down the road to go with it.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I may be mistaken but I think the daylight part is more about the standoff between the belt and holster than the actual gun and your body. There is a picture that shows a gun's belt loops that have better than 1/2" of daylight through it; as long as there isn't any daylight in the belt area I think you are OK. That is my interpretation but your mileage may vary!

If you haven't already started shooting IDPA just yet, go shoot a few matches with whatever you happen to have at the moment and then talk to other shooters about what they use. Names like Raven, Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, Safariland will keep showing up. If you happen to shoot a Glock, I can't recommend the Glock Sport/Combat holster enough. I've used mine for over 3 years as a daily carry holster plus IDPA holster until I finally found the right holsters for me...the Raven Phantom.

The only other piece of advice I would give is don't be put off by the cost of some holsters. More often than not you genuinely get what you pay for and quality materials and quality workmanship does cost a bit extra. Stay away from the inexpensive nylon holsters with a velcro thumb strap and you'll start out happier and stay that way!

+1

Well put or well said! The rule is for the space between the belt and holster and thats where they are looking for daylight. I'm a big Comp Tac fan for both competition and carry. They make quality stuff and stand behind it! Please stay away from the nylon holsters ... you'll be sorry.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Great info.. looks like ill be ordering the paddle holster with the double mag carrier for $100. Seems like a fair price. Any one ever see comp tac have sales?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Great info.. looks like ill be ordering the paddle holster with the double mag carrier for $100. Seems like a fair price. Any one ever see comp tac have sales?

Just an FYI, depending on the gun you shoot some of their magazines can be a pain drawing from a traditional style double-mag pouch. Glock magazines are about the best shaped because they have a very small base plate whereas my M&P 9 and M&P 45 base plates are extended far past the body of the magazine and I had problems when using a standard double-mag pouch. The one I was using at the time was a traditional style that kept both mags parallel with a bit of space between the body of each but the baseplate on the rear magazine would almost touch the front magazine. I would regularly find myself hooking the rear mag's base plate when drawing the front magazine for a reload and I'd end up dragging it out and dropping it during a match. It may be very situational and brand dependent but just be aware. I have switched to 2 single-mag pouches for my 9mm and I have an older mag pouch for my 45 that keeps the magazines at a slight tilt away from each other so I don't catch the base plates when making a quick reload.

Just food for thought; If you shoot Glocks then you won't have anything to worry about but if the base plates on your gun's set up are larger like the M&P you might want to check one out in person before you buy.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    No one mentioned a Fobus paddle holster. Is there a reason?? Just curious because that is what I use. I'm no Pro but, it seems to work quite well, as well as the mag pouche. I know some other guys use the same and seem to be happy with them as well. Maybe I'm missing something here.
    Oh, I did have one guy tell me that the new Fobus have a steel strip at the rivets that keeps them from breaking. Apparently, that was an issue with older ones.

Top Bottom