• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    You guys that shoot USPSA / IDPA and others I have a question on bullet weight. I am shooting USPSA Single Stack... 45 ACP in a 230 gr. rn. LEAD Bullets and was considering a 200 gr. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to bullet weight that needs to be considered for competition ?

Pat

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, since power factor is determined by bullet weight x muzzle velocity (divided by 1000 to be perfectly clear), a higher bullet weight allows lighter loadings, which reduce felt recoil and help speed up follow on shots (while hopefully still making Major, so as to not incur the accuracy penalty of a Minor load). For different games though, it's different. Bowling pin shooting has different considerations, for example.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I switched to 200 grain flat nose jacketed bullets from Montana Gold because they were less expensive and I now prefer them over the 230 grain. With having to make power you'll have to push the light bullet faster so it should be a push when comparing the to performance-wise but I have heard people swear that the heavier bullet will shoot softer but I havent noticed much difference.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You guys that shoot USPSA / IDPA and others I have a question on bullet weight. I am shooting USPSA Single Stack... 45 ACP in a 230 gr. rn. LEAD Bullets and was considering a 200 gr. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to bullet weight that needs to be considered for competition ?

Pat

No, I don't think so. You only need to make 825fps to make major with a 200 gr bullet. Personally, I would go with the cheapest, most available bullet that shoots accurately from your pistol and you can control easily.

Just don't do anything that will drop you to minor.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    When I shot SS, I used 230 gr LNR with WST. The load was great!

The faster your round moves, the more snappy the recoil will be. If you prefer that, go with the 200, if you want a longer impulse, go with the 230...

Also, if you are planning on shooting cast bullets, I have to highly recommend BK Bullet Casting out of Peru...

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I settled on a 200 gr LSWC at 850 fps. It's a faster recoil than the 230 gr, which seems like a slow push. After comparing the two, I didn't really care for the 230 gr recoil. It seemed like it took forever for the sights to come back down on the target.

For a coated bullet, I'd recommend Bayou Bullets. I've used them in .45 and .40 and I like them a lot. Very little smoke, accurate and much cheaper than plated or FMJ.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    On a 9mm there is a world of difference between the feel of a 147 and a 115, which probably figures because going to the 147 is a 27.8% change in bullet weight. Also, many 9's are shot from fairly light (28 ounceish) guns so the change in recoil characteristic is really noticable.
    Some IDPA gurus swear by the 147 for better control and some other gurus swear by the lighter bullets for faster return to battery. I reckon you do what feels good to you.

On my 45 single stacks (fairly heavy 38-41 ounce guns) the change in bullet weight from 200 to 230 grain is small enough so that I'm not sure I could tell which weight of bullet I was shooting if both were pushed at about the same power factor.
    I have never had a failure to feed with 230 grain round nose & I have had a few with 200 grain (berry's) on my 1911's. I might be able to solve this with a change in oal or whatever, but I'll probably just switch to 230's because the shape seems to give me a reliability advantage and I don't like the notion of the guns trying to push the 200's down farther in the case when chambering. My glock 21 seems to love the 200 grain berry's though.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

For a coated bullet, I'd recommend Bayou Bullets. I've used them in .45 and .40 and I like them a lot. Very little smoke, accurate and much cheaper than plated or FMJ.

I think BillD turned everyone this direction.

I've used them for 9mm and .40...no issues. I used to be a BBI guy, but their QC has sucked the last few orders. "Gator Snot" has been good to me so far. Plus the green bullets always strike up a conversation. There is no online ordering :noway:, but Donnie seems to be a stand up guy:yesway:. He is reasonable and I believe he is just a one man operation.

If the greatest shooter (If you watch hot shot, there is a few scenes of Jerry loading them into his moon clips) in the world uses them, I figure we average Joes can't go wrong as well.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    If you are looking for a high quality lead bullet check out SnS Casting in Illinois. The company is a father son duo that shoots USPSA every weekend. They are supporters / sponsors of the Indiana State Match and the Indiana Single Stack Production Match. Their bullets are cast of virgin alloy. Their inspection / packaging process assures you will use 9098 of every 10000 you purchase. They are great people that give back to the sport.
    Their bullets must be good. My son Kyle finished 2nd B at last year's Single Stack Nationals using their bullets and we all know he can't shoot ! LOL ! Give them a try.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I just recently started using Berry's 200gr SWC over 7.8 gr of Accurate #5 ... gives about 865 fps out of my Kimber and is extremely accurate out of that gun ... used them last weekend at the steel match at Atlanta without a hitch. That is what I will be running for USPSA/IDPA/Steel this year.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    If you are looking for a high quality lead bullet check out SnS Casting in Illinois. The company is a father son duo that shoots USPSA every weekend. They are supporters / sponsors of the Indiana State Match and the Indiana Single Stack Production Match. Their bullets are cast of virgin alloy. Their inspection / packaging process assures you will use 9098 of every 10000 you purchase. They are great people that give back to the sport.
    Their bullets must be good. My son Kyle finished 2nd B at last year's Single Stack Nationals using their bullets and we all know he can't shoot ! LOL ! Give them a try.
    +1
    I buy all of my cast bullets from SnS.

Top Bottom