• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Saturday, June 2nd, Red Brush Rifle Range will be having an IDPA classifier match.

10:30 new shooter's meeting. Match to start at 11:00.

As mentioned, this will be a Classifier. Get your holsters loosened, you safety on, and your eye sharp. See what you can do and others like you.

I will be M.D. this month. I've got some ideas on what to do as far as COF's before or after you shoot the classifier. More to follow.

With this, let the posts begin, I'll be watching and commenting as I can.

Take care all! Stay safe, shoot straight!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Excellent! Thanks Steve! Can you give us an idea of cost per gun to classify? Depending on turnout I'd be tempted to try and reclassify in SSP in addition to trying for a higher classification in CDP.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Excellent! Thanks Steve! Can you give us an idea of cost per gun to classify? Depending on turnout I'd be tempted to try and reclassify in SSP in addition to trying for a higher classification in CDP.

Does it work that way now? I thought the rules changed and now the highest level you are in one is across the board.

Regardless I plan on shooting in CDP and ESP next Sat :rockwoot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think it only works if you don't have an official classification in that particular division. I'm a MM in SSP; I classified that about a year or two ago. If I were to borrow TJ's wheelgun I'd have to shoot as a Sharpshooter since I don't officially have a classification in that division...if I understand the ruling correctly.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Does it work that way now? I thought the rules changed and now the highest level you are in one is across the board.

Regardless I plan on shooting in CDP and ESP next Sat :rockwoot:

I think it only works if you don't have an official classification in that particular division. I'm a MM in SSP; I classified that about a year or two ago. If I were to borrow TJ's wheelgun I'd have to shoot as a Sharpshooter since I don't officially have a classification in that division...if I understand the ruling correctly.

And that's only for sanctioned matches... The fog is lifting...

Mike is right. Here is the relevant part of the IDPA Bible. "A competitor may compete in club matches in a division he does not have a classification in, provided he competes in the highest classification he presently holds."

The key is "club level." In a sanctioned match, you can only compete in a division you hold classification (and unless the MD allows it, it has to be MM or above).

Now for a whole different question.

Why do you think it is that making Expert in ESP requires 12 points higher than SSP? Also, ESP Master requires 9 points higher than SSP? I just don't see enough difference between pistol platforms to make that much difference. Maybe we ESP guys are just better shooters by nature:D

I got to thinking about this with Greg's run to Master. He wouldn't have made Master in ESP with his score (94ish). In all fariness to Greg it wasn't his best shooting and his speed sort of got him through (we talked about this). If he is on his game I know he can easily make up the 5 points needed for ESP Master and I think he will try ESP in the classifier. It will be interesting to see how he and Brad turn out. Both of them can make ESP Master, but it gets so tight (89.41) that any slip pretty well puts you out of it. Whatever happens, I consider both of those guys, as well as Scott, to be true "field Masters."

I just don't know why the classifier is "tougher" for ESP. Thoughts?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I got to thinking about this with Greg's run to Master. He wouldn't have made Master in ESP with his score (94ish). In all fariness to Greg it wasn't his best shooting and his speed sort of got him through (we talked about this). If he is on his game I know he can easily make up the 5 points needed for ESP Master and I think he will try ESP in the classifier. It will be interesting to see how he and Brad turn out. Both of them can make ESP Master, but it gets so tight (89.41) that any slip pretty well puts you out of it. Whatever happens, I consider both of those guys, as well as Scott, to be true "field Masters."

I just don't know why the classifier is "tougher" for ESP. Thoughts?

the only thing I can think of is that ESP is initially where the single-action 9mm lived and with SSP being the home of DA/SA autos, they must have figured that the difference in triggers would make the ESP guys as a group faster so it needed a tougher score to make Master.

I did hear that they chose guys like Vickers and Rob Leatham to shoot the CDP classifier and their scores determined what it took to shoot Master in CDP :n00b:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    the only thing I can think of is that ESP is initially where the single-action 9mm lived and with SSP being the home of DA/SA autos, they must have figured that the difference in triggers would make the ESP guys as a group faster so it needed a tougher score to make Master.

I did hear that they chose guys like Vickers and Rob Leatham to shoot the CDP classifier and their scores determined what it took to shoot Master in CDP :n00b:

A good point- CDP takes 91.76 for Master. This is with a 45 vs a 9mm for ESP and SSP:dunno: If they picked the numbers based off performances like that from Leatham, it does start to make sense.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    When I said "sanctioned matches" I was meaning club level matches but then I thought that was what we shot at Redbrush so then I created an imaginary 3rd tier ranking... The fog was in my brain and its still there.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I forgot to mention earlier that at Wilmore they took a counting of how many guys ran 40 S&W. They said IDPA headquarters asked them to do this. Naturally, a host of unsubstantiated answers came up as to why they needed this info. Some thought they would bring 40 S&W into CDP, others thought they would open a new class and others thought IDPA might go to a power factor scoring. I have no clue, and this really has nothing to do with this thread. But really, what is a Redbrush IDPA thread without a few threadjacks here and there:laugh:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I forgot to mention earlier that at Wilmore they took a counting of how many guys ran 40 S&W. They said IDPA headquarters asked them to do this. Naturally, a host of unsubstantiated answers came up as to why they needed this info. Some thought they would bring 40 S&W into CDP, others thought they would open a new class and others thought IDPA might go to a power factor scoring. I have no clue, and this really has nothing to do with this thread. But really, what is a Redbrush IDPA thread without a few threadjacks here and there:laugh:

:hijack:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    When I said "sanctioned matches" I was meaning club level matches but then I thought that was what we shot at Redbrush so then I created an imaginary 3rd tier ranking... The fog was in my brain and its still there.

I think the fog is from posting in the Yeager/Pincus/OC thread... you know you like those TapOut shirts!

Top Bottom