• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So I've been reading and watching video of 3-gun shooting matches and realized "Hey! I have a rifle, shotgun and pistol. I wonder if I could do it?"

So, while putting some oil on the trio (I have very acidic sweat so I try to keep a thin layer of oil on all the blued surfaces) I thought I wonder what else I'd need or even if what I have would work.

So here's what I have:
    6F400C72.jpg

Golani sporter .223, mossberg 500 with a 19" version of what used to be a 28" full choke bbl and my 5" Springfield mil-spec .45. Is this something that would work fine for a first time shooter or should I bother? I've been I to auto-x'ing for a long time and have been thinking about the equivalent int the shooting world. Married with no kids(DINKS) with a need to stay busy but we're far from "rich" so everything I do is on a budget.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes it would work fine.

Someone will likely say it will be hard to win shooting a pump shotgun and an 8-shot .45 against semiauto shotguns and higher cap pistols, but... Do you expect go win or have fun? I haven't won yet, and still have fun.

The pistol and shotgun are two thirds of getting you into Heavy Metal class. If you had a .308 or larger rifle, you'd be in. All that does is make you more competitive.
    I'm telling you this not to suggest you should buy a .308, but to provide you with an excuse if wanted!

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Got anyways to carry the spare pistol mags and shot shells? Even a cheap dump pouch will get you into it and playing. Where are you located ?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    NW of Indy. I don't have any carriers for anything extra. When we're out shooting I tyipicalyl stuffed spare pistol mags into my belt. No idea what to do about shotgun shells or rifle mags yet.

Just trying to get things rolling. I don't know that I'll have time/money to do one this year, but I definately want to put it on next years schedule!

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I picked up a Molle, military surplus 3 rifle magazine shingle at a gun show for $6. I use it on my hip attached to my belt for 3 gun. Hasn't let me down. Cheap, reliable option.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'd get enough mag pouches to carry three or four pistol mags. For rifle/shotgun, the simplest/cheapest way is probably a couple of dump pouches of some sort. Stick two or three rifle mags in one as needed (one spare mag will be more than enough for most stages) and dump a box of shotgun shells in the other. It won't give the smoothest shotgun reload, but beats those belts of loops that drop shells all over the range and can be used for something else away from a match like carrying tools or beverages.

You may want to have an option or two for carrying the guns from stage to stage. Some like carts and some prefer soft cases, and it might take some trial and error to find what works best for you. The ammo, with the bulky shotgun shells, takes up some space, so juggling that ammo while carrying the guns uncased and clattering into each other is less than ideal.
    Some people use soft cases with a sling (or attach their own sling) to carry a case over each shoulder leaving hands free for the other gear. Some use a garden cart or modified jogging stroller. I've seen a couple of modified golf bag carts. I use one of those garden wagons. It's a pain to load and unload in the SUV, but it is nice to just toss everything in, cases and all, ammo, water, etc, and have it all there. Makes a decent seat too.

You will need a chamber flag (aka open bolt indicator) for each long gun. Sometimes the match directors have them for sale or there might be spares to borrow, sometimes not, so I'd try to get two before if possible, so you will have them for sure.

Three guns, a way to carry ammo, a way to carry guns, chamber flags, and eye/ear protection is all you really need.
    I humbly suggest you verify zeroes before. Sometimes, 30 minutes on the range during the week before the match could have made people's match more fun.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    ive never come across a stage that you need more than 1 spare rifle mag, stuff it in your back pocket. cheap shell carrier from a sporting goods/gun store, and a couple mag holsters and you are set to go play. you wont have the fanciest toys there, you probably will not win, but i would be willing to bet that you are going to have a lot of fun.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    ive never come across a stage that you need more than 1 spare rifle mag, stuff it in your back pocket. cheap shell carrier from a sporting goods/gun store, and a couple mag holsters and you are set to go play. you wont have the fanciest toys there, you probably will not win, but i would be willing to bet that you are going to have a lot of fun.

That's the kind of advice I'm lookingfor. :rockwoot:I just want to have fun with other nutjobs like me. I've never had the fanciest toys, but I've always had the best time with what I have.

How many rounds would one expect to go through in a competition?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    most places will put up a minimum round count. generally speaking from my VERY limited experience, usually about 100 rifle, 100 pistol, 100 birdshot and about 5-10 slugs sounds about right, i generally bring double that because A. I suck, B. taking home the extra's means i can still go shooting through the week.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'd add an extension to your shotgun tube but you can play as is.

that would also require a barrel change (moddberg 500) and would run me ~$150-200. Not looking to drop that much just in shotgun mods. Plus, I'm every effective with this barrel. ;)

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    most places will put up a minimum round count. generally speaking from my VERY limited experience, usually about 100 rifle, 100 pistol, 100 birdshot and about 5-10 slugs sounds about right, i generally bring double that because A. I suck, B. taking home the extra's means i can still go shooting through the week.

Hell... a 100 rds of rifle is only 3 mags for me.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    that would also require a barrel change (moddberg 500) and would run me ~$150-200. Not looking to drop that much just in shotgun mods. Plus, I'm every effective with this barrel. ;)

You may be effective but you are going to be reloading a lot;)

Why does that require a barrel change? Just curious

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    the barrel on the mossberg screws into the end of the shell tube. Like this:
    49bd7297182422c24fa2ac47e307dfa5.jpg

Considering I paid $75 for the whole shotgun, spending another $150-200 seems a bit silly!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Gotcha.

Silly? LMAO, you haven't even started on silly yet. I've spent that much on one magazine.

I know guys got more than that in their CART.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I mean, I could borrow dad's 7-shot mossberg, but I don't know that one nearly as well as my own. I can shoot trap with my 19" shotgun as well as some do with their 28".

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Shotgun targets are easy, very few difficult birdshot shots to make. Just static steel and static clay birds.
    Reloading a shotgun is a laborious and time consuming process, you're going to have to do it more often than everyone else.
    That is not an issue if you are coming to just play. Your equipment will work fine as is and IMO is a great way to get started in the game.
    Come out and enjoy!

You will want to know where your slugs hit at various ranges.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I may have missed it but is your shotgun choked or just a cylinder bore? You'll probably struggle with some knockdown steel if its just cylinder bored.

Top Bottom