• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Good deal. If things turn out, this will be my first match at anything :runaway: Now I need to decide what to shoot: Sig 226, TRP or P22...

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Any gun recommendations from the above list? How long do these normally last?

Any of the above will work just fine. There's a division for any/all of them. Bring one, 5+ mags and about 200rds of ammo and have fun.

Usually wraps up around 2ish.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    I didn't recognise the "P22". If it is a .22lr gun, I'd recommend it. It may come down to whichever gun for which you have the most mags. 5 mags are needed, or 3 mags that hold 15+ rounds. Usually shooters can get 2 strings out of the hi-caps.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Sounds like I need more mags. I should have enough for my TRP, but I don't know if i want to shoot that on my first outing. I'd rather get comfortable with the setup first. Yes, I was referring to the Walther P22.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    We can never get enough magazines...

Another way to look at gun choice is this :: With which gun can you hit a paper plate at 15 yards most often ?? ==> Bring that one...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    First timers are welcome? I want to do it if so. I think this is the best way to gain skills. I don't see anywhere to register online, are we to register on-site?

NOTE TO SELF...bring sun tan lotion this time!

Last edited:

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    First timers are welcome? I want to do it if so. I think this is the best way to gain skills. I don't see anywhere to register online, are we to register on-site?

NOTE TO SELF...bring sun tan lotion this time!

Yes and yes. Steel matches are great for first-time match-shooters. Very simple scoring. Not too many rules. Plenty of mentors.

Register and pay at 9am, shooter meeting at 9:45 or so. Bang and Clang at 10am !!!

Sunscreen = good idea.

Read the part about Divisions near the bottom of this page ::

Atlanta Conservation Club: 2012 SCSA News

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Sounds good. I'm sure mag holders are preferred, but are they necessary for a first timer?

Mag pouches not used in this kind of match. A few of the IDPA and USPSA shooters use them to maintain familiarity for their other sports, but for steel each string is timed separately. (Mag changes are OFF the clock...) A couple of the revolver division guys keep a speed loader on a belt.

Each string has 5 (sometimes 6) HITS. As long as you are sighted-in, and don't try to go too fast, one mag per string usually is enough.

I continually amaze myself (after 10 years) at how fast I can miss an 18x24 inch target at 7 yards... ("Smoke & Hope") But I digress.

One thing you will need is a gun bag/rug/box with muzzle direction marked, so that you can have it pointed at the targets BEFORE you pull it out of said bag/rug/box. A holster is good, too. Read the part about COLD RANGE in my link, if you want to use a holster, though.

Go slow. Listen to the Range Officer. You'll be fine.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Are you coming to this one?

I'm looking forward to it. I've got an extra EZ up for shade, if you need it G7.

Rob - - YES please do bring it. I am going to bring my personal one, too. ACC has, I think, 8 of them. With mine and yours, we can set up two per bay (one over the shooter box, and one for the peanut gallery).

Cool !!! (I hope...) :cool:

Thx !

Top Bottom