• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Ummm. My drill is to say I'm going to do them and not get the job completed. When I do, I work on draw par times and target transitions. Steve Anderson (?) on drumfire is really a good tool if you can borrow a copy from someone.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I find Steve Anderson to be annoying when he has his dog at the range, but his dryfire book has good drills that will make you better.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I use Anderson's book. When I make myself do the drills regularly the improvement is noticeable.
    My biggest problem is consistency, I get busy and get out of the routine.I find it's very difficult to start back up and these skills are extremely perishable. If you're not getting better you're going back wards. My latest match performance has proved this theory to me.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Between the Ben Stoeger 15 min plans and the Steve Anderson books, that should keep you plenty busy. The best things to practice in dryfire are draws and reloads. Then you don't have to do them nearly as much in live fire bc you've already worked on the mechanics. Use live fire practice for target transitions, shot calling, shooting on the move, SHO/WHO shooting, etc etc.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Between the Ben Stoeger 15 min plans and the Steve Anderson books, that should keep you plenty busy. The best things to practice in dryfire are draws and reloads. Then you don't have to do them nearly as much in live fire bc you've already worked on the mechanics. Use live fire practice for target transitions, shot calling, shooting on the move, SHO/WHO shooting, etc etc.

That's been my approach to dry fire- Cover the mechanics, the non-shooting stuff; draws reloads, etc. I have been practicing the eye-snapping part of target transitions in dry fire as well, based on the BE transition drill part 2. The latter seems to be paying off nicely.

Speaking of which, I need to get some practice in today. I haven't done anything since steel@ACC last weekend. :n00b:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    That's been my approach to dry fire- Cover the mechanics, the non-shooting stuff; draws reloads, etc. I have been practicing the eye-snapping part of target transitions in dry fire as well, based on the BE transition drill part 2. The latter seems to be paying off nicely.

Speaking of which, I need to get some practice in today. I haven't done anything since steel@ACC last weekend. :n00b:

I haven't practiced since Octoberish of last year and it shows. I have not had time with being on the road. My practice is Sunday and sometimes Saturday. I wish it were different and I wish dry fire were fun. It can hold my attention about 2 minutes. Lol

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Dry fire is even more boring than reloading. At least with reloading, occasionally something blows up.

:laugh:

You%27re_Doing_It_Wrong.jpg

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    along with most of your stage planning....

sometimes

if this ever becomes not fun then I am going to start cowboy action shooting.

It has been alot of fun over the last 7 years of shooting uspsa matches. I got walls full of C class and B class plaques and some A Class, even couple of class wins at area matches and an entire limited gun built from contingency wins from STI. Done all this with very limited amount of time dedicated to any kind of formal dry fire or practice plan.
    But now I cannot just hope that trigger speed will get it done for me. Got to do a little more now to be competitive, starting with pulling my head out of my ass, stop being lazy, do something about the 70+ pounds I have put on in the last 4 years, crap reaction time and horrible draw.
    That being said I am actually a much better shooter than I was 4 years ago, my visual awareness when shooting is very good, I am seeing what I need to, have learned what shot calling really is what the differences are depending on target distance, stage break down is much better than it used to be.
    So I finally bought a timer, now I just need to take it out of the box and put a battery in it and do some actual dry fire drills. I made it out to coaches for only the second time this year yesterday for practice, and have myself schedule to go to ACC this sunday.
    I may even clean a gun tonight and reload ammo.......maybe

Top Bottom