• ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Stick with a dry fire regiment of 3 x 15 min a week
    Study stage breakdown / focus on footwork / study videos of the best - 3 hours a week
    Work on flexibility and agility - 2 x week
    Shoot at least 12 local matches
    Shoot a Level 2 match
    Classify B in Single Stack
    Really Encourage wife to get out and have fun - 2 x month
    (We both feel guilty leaving our kids to do things we like to do for our selves)

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    After debating changing Divisions I think I will continue shooting Single Stack in 2013...Going to Add a Mag well to the Gun.

* Want to Shoot at least 2 matches a Month
    * Practice at home 50 -100 rounds a week
    * Work on bettering my time on Skills that are Non-Shooting, Moving, Drawing, reloading a MAG !
    * Take some more USPSA Based Classes
    * Use my Tax Check to Buy Bulk Reloading Supplies... Cost held me back some this year !
    * Meet some more new people in the Sport...There are a lot of good people out there.

Pat

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    -Shoot my first USPSA match and continue with at least 1 a month.
    -Get Classified in USPSA Production, no real goal here. I am fine with D if that's what I am.
    -Shoot in the State USPSA match.
    -Defend my carbine win in the SCSA state match (and hope for more carbine shooters next year) and do well in production.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Still getting my feet wet having owned handguns for only a few months. Here are some ideas ...

Develop and maintain dry fire regiment. (3x week minimum)
    Increase upper body strength. (So shoulders don't get tired so quidkly.)
    Attend some different types of matches. (See what catches my fancy.)
    Go to monthly bowling pin shots for experience and practice. (And for the fun!)
    Practice! Practice! Practice!

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    - Continue dry fire and failure drills
    - Shoot 0.5 MOA at 500 yards with the new Remington 700
    - Shoot 1.0 MOA at 100 yards with the new Savage Mark II
    - Compete in a steel match or 12 (9mm or .22 Pistols)
    - Check into doing a USPSA match

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    Similar goals as others.

- continue dry fire regiment
    - shoot my first official USPSA match
    - attend more training
    - improve conditioning

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Still getting my feet wet having owned handguns for only a few months. Here are some ideas ...

Develop and maintain dry fire regiment. (3x week minimum)
    Increase upper body strength. (So shoulders don't get tired so quidkly.)
    Attend some different types of matches. (See what catches my fancy.)
    Go to monthly bowling pin shots for experience and practice. (And for the fun!)
    Practice! Practice! Practice!

I attended several matches this past Summer. IDPA, Steel Challenge, Multi-gun, Cowboy Action.

I need to do this also. When you guys practice dry fire what are the goals? And how do you specifically do it? Snap caps? Hammer drop with each shot? What about for .22? Can you stick a empty case in for dry firing? As you can tell by the questions, I am a noob.:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I attended several matches this past Summer. IDPA, Steel Challenge, Multi-gun, Cowboy Action.

I need to do this also. When you guys practice dry fire what are the goals? And how do you specifically do it? Snap caps? Hammer drop with each shot? What about for .22? Can you stick a empty case in for dry firing? As you can tell by the questions, I am a noob.:)

First, congratulations on actually attending your matches; you'd be surprised how many 'gun guys' chicken out when it's match day!

For me, the dry fire exercises are to sharpen the skills that let me down the day before at the range. Whether it's getting better drawing from concealment, getting my different magazine changes down or working cover better in IDPA. Most of the actual dry-fire trigger pulls are to insure that I'm getting a good pull of the trigger to the rear and that my grip and sight picture are consistent each time. Nothing kills your scores like an inconsistent grip or sloppy trigger work.

For what it's worth, I have started using snap caps since I can work mag changes and practice releasing the slide using whatever method I'm trying to perfect. One of the best tools I've seen is a video put out by Magpul Dynamics called The Art of the Dynamic Handgun. It is primarily about self defense but so much of what they teach and show in the video translates over to the shooting sports so you get quite a bit of information for the $40-$50 that the 4-disc set costs... you can view trailers for the series at YouTube or Magpul's website...well worth checking out. They have lots of ideas and drills for training starting from the draw and going forward from there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    First, congratulations on actually attending your matches; you'd be surprised how many 'gun guys' chicken out when it's match day!

For me, the dry fire exercises are to sharpen the skills that let me down the day before at the range. Whether it's getting better drawing from concealment, getting my different magazine changes down or working cover better in IDPA. Most of the actual dry-fire trigger pulls are to insure that I'm getting a good pull of the trigger to the rear and that my grip and sight picture are consistent each time. Nothing kills your scores like an inconsistent grip or sloppy trigger work.

For what it's worth, I have started using snap caps since I can work mag changes and practice releasing the slide using whatever method I'm trying to perfect. One of the best tools I've seen is a video put out by Magpul Dynamics called The Art of the Dynamic Handgun. It is primarily about self defense but so much of what they teach and show in the video translates over to the shooting sports so you get quite a bit of information for the $40-$50 that the 4-disc set costs... you can view trailers for the series at YouTube or Magpul's website...well worth checking out. They have lots of ideas and drills for training starting from the draw and going forward from there.

Thanks! I'll check out the vids. I should clarify though, that I should have said that I "spectated" several matches this Summer. I have yet to shoot one! I didn't really chicken out, though I was pretty intimidated:). I didn't try one because I still need some "gear".

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) Shoot 25 straight at least once from the 16yd line.

2) Shoot more FNS matches at MCFG - and bring more friends with me!

3) Take my new built from scratch "toy" and hit something relatively small at 500yds

4) Bring my wife and daughter to the range with me more often than I did last year.

5) Push my buddies that are on the fence about competitive shooting into the "fun vortex" that is shooting sports - Thereby allowing them to have as much fun "turning money into noise" as I do while at the same time growing these sports.

6) Lose the weight I have gained since college 20+ years ago (which is now roughly equivalent to a chubby 3 year old)...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks! I'll check out the vids. I should clarify though, that I should have said that I "spectated" several matches this Summer. I have yet to shoot one! I didn't really chicken out, though I was pretty intimidated:). I didn't try one because I still need some "gear".

Heck, just spectating is more than I've gotten about 99.9% of my friends to do! I'm getting ready to go on 5 years with IDPA and much longer with trap and sporting clays and I've only ever gotten maybe half a dozen to go in my life despite a lot of talk to the contrary. Showing up is the hardest part even if it is just to check it out the first few times.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Heck, just spectating is more than I've gotten about 99.9% of my friends to do! I'm getting ready to go on 5 years with IDPA and much longer with trap and sporting clays and I've only ever gotten maybe half a dozen to go in my life despite a lot of talk to the contrary. Showing up is the hardest part even if it is just to check it out the first few times.

Yeah, I need to buy some stuff, practice this winter(even if its dry fire and mag changes) and find someone who will walk me through my first match.

My main thing is I want to be safe! I have never done the "running and gunning" thing before.

Would also like to try trap, but I think they shoot that on Monday's at Wildcat and I don't get home until 6.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Yeah, I need to buy some stuff, practice this winter(even if its dry fire and mag changes) and find someone who will walk me through my first match.

My main thing is I want to be safe! I have never done the "running and gunning" thing before.

Would also like to try trap, but I think they shoot that on Monday's at Wildcat and I don't get home until 6.

There are more than enough people willing to help ya out.. Just bring your gear and and shoot a match. Almost everybody that shoot these matches are willing to help out a newbie... If you cant find anyone at your range shoot me a pm Ill come help ya. Or you can come over to ACC and Ill help you there too... You wont start out running and gunning just gunning. The running will come in time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are more than enough people willing to help ya out.. Just bring your gear and and shoot a match. Almost everybody that shoot these matches are willing to help out a newbie... If you cant find anyone at your range shoot me a pm Ill come help ya. Or you can come over to ACC and Ill help you there too... You wont start out running and gunning just gunning. The running will come in time.

I did go to ACC once to watch a IDPA match this year. Met some friendly people there.

Top Bottom