Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The range officer orders the shooter to make ready. The shoot draws his pistol and racks the slide and an empty piece of brass is ejected. What is the proper call and the proper rule to cite to support your call?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That is an odd series of events to have an empty piece of brass eject... Obviously the RO/SO did not do a visual inspection of the chamber prior to calling a safe range.

I would vote DQ for not following proper procedure but since you specified USPSA I don't have their rule book handy.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That is an odd series of events to have an empty piece of brass eject... Obviously the RO/SO did not do a visual inspection of the chamber prior to calling a safe range.

I would vote DQ for not following proper procedure but since you specified USPSA I don't have their rule book handy.

Not as odd as one might think, my friend. Last year at the Summer Sizzler (IDPA) I started on a stage that had you pick you gun up and load. I did just that and a full moonclip of snap caps comes tumbling out. I had tightened my ejector rod up in the safe area, which requires something be in the cylinder to do. After the stage was ran the SO said "be thankful this wasn't ammunition."

Indeed, I was:D

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    It should have been cleared on the previous stage, but it is the competitors responsibility.:twocents:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    DQ.

10.5.13 Having a loaded firearm other than when specifically ordered to by the
    Range Officer.

Loaded is defined as -
    Loaded Firearm . . . . . . . .A firearm having a live or dummy round in the chamber or cylinder, or having a live or dummy round in a magazine inserted in the firearm

Dummy round is defined in 2.4.2 to include empty cases.
    Dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines, loaded speed loading devices andlive rounds must not be handled in a Safety Area under any circumstances
    (see Rule 10.5.12).

The counterargument is that if the RO on the previous stage didn't follow the ULSC command procedure and verify empty chamber, then technically the shooter shouldn't be in violation of 10.5.13. However, that would be incorrect. Once given unload show clear per 8.3.6 et seq., the order to have a loaded firearm referenced in 10.5.13 is no longer valid. Shooter has been given the range command requiring
    If the competitor has finished shooting, he must lower his handgun and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed down range, magazine removed, slide locked or held open, and chamber empty. Revolvers must be presented with the cylinder swung out and empty.

The onus to empty is on the shooter, no longer under specific order of RO, he should go get a Dilly Bar.

There's probably some room to tighten the rulebook on this to eliminate the tiny tiny bit of ambiguity, but the right call is DQ.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    JJJ had it right with the right rule.

FYI Handling empty cases in the safe area would be a DQ as well.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Appendix A3
    Definition of Loaded Firearm

A firearm having a live or dummy round in the cham-ber or cylinder, or having a live or dummy round in a
    magazine inserted in the firearm.

A piece of brass could be interpreted as a "dummy" round. 10.5.13 would be applicable. If a dummy round is a DQ, I would have to say that a piece of brass is as well.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Not as odd as one might think, my friend. Last year at the Summer Sizzler (IDPA) I started on a stage that had you pick you gun up and load. I did just that and a full moonclip of snap caps comes tumbling out. I had tightened my ejector rod up in the safe area, which requires something be in the cylinder to do. After the stage was ran the SO said "be thankful this wasn't ammunition."

Indeed, I was:D

Ok... But that is a REVOLVER and we alreasy know they are abomonations on the competition field :laugh:

For a PROPER handgun to do that it would have to fail to eject not once when the last shot was fired, which also had to be the last shot of the stage, but also when the chambered was cleared after the mag was dropped (assuming this was done albeit improperly-not enough to actually cycle the slide and eject the spent case).

When (if) the hammer was dropped it was an empty shell so no bang and all seemed well.

This is just one example I can think of why I INSISTED people actually pull the trigger and dry fire the gun rather than use their decocker to drop the hammer when I was SOing for IDPA.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Heres another one for you. At the end of the stage If you are finished unload and show clear is given. Shooter drops mag (so you think) racks slide points at a target... Bang..????? Course of fire is not done until the range clear is given Right?

Top Bottom