• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Ok, So I have decided that at some point this summer I want to give three gun a try. I have the guns and my class picked out. I will shoot Tactical optics and I plan to use a Mossberg 930, Colt ar-15, and G19. Where I am stuck now is on the holsters and support gear. I have shot steel challenge, FNS, and USPSA and my EDC gear has gotten my by there.

SO, on to the questions.

1. How do I measure for a gun belt, is it just like measuring for my regular belt waist size plus 4 inches? (I'm a 36 waist so I think I need a 40 inch belt)
    2. what brand of belt? (I am leaning towards the Safariland ELS system)
    3. what holster should I use? (I plan to shoot a G19 unless I should by another gun :rockwoot:)
    4. how many of each type of pouch will I need?
    that is all I can think of for now. Cost really isn't a concern at this point. I have a few hundred set aside for this adventure. I am not brand loyal I just want to buy once and cry once if I can.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My usual recommendation would be a Blade-Tech holster from Shooters Connection and a CR speed or Double Alpha Velcro belt. Not sure who makes the best rifle mag pouches, somebody with more multigun experience should be able to chime in here.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Honestly for your first match just go shoot with your normal belt. A rifle mag in your back pocket and 2 pistol mags on your belt. You will need someway to carry extra shotgun shells. Some stages can have upwards of 24 shotgun shots.

I use a blade tech holster for my m&p, mills tactical pistol mag pouch, ccw shotgun caddies and a homemade kydex rifle mag pouch, all on a CR speed belt.

The ELS system is top notch but pricey buying all the components.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Honestly for your first match just go shoot with your normal belt. A rifle mag in your back pocket and 2 pistol mags on your belt. You will need someway to carry extra shotgun shells. Some stages can have upwards of 24 shotgun shots.

I use a blade tech holster for my m&p, mills tactical pistol mag pouch, ccw shotgun caddies and a homemade kydex rifle mag pouch, all on a CR speed belt.

The ELS system is top notch but pricey buying all the components.

At least initially I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of stuff, whatever you've been using for the other matches should work fine for your pistol stuff. Any non-flapped AR mag pouch that retains the mag during moderate activity will work. The main thing you'll have to contend with is how to carry shotgun ammo. The good thing is that 3 gunners are great and there will be shooters there that can help you out by loaning gear. Once you get a little experience and decide that 3 Gun is for you then you can start buying gear.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I also recommend shooting what you have at first and seeing what everyone else is shooting. I shot my first match with my XD9SC in a blackhawk serpa, M1A with mags in my back pocket and a mossberg 500 with shotshells in a sporting clays pouch on my belt. I shoot revolver now, S&W 625, I use a blade tech holster, 2 north mountain idpa moon clip holders and a james austin moon clip server. I use a CR speed belt because the soft part of the velcro in on the inner belt you put through your belt loops. This is nice if you wear your belt to the event, doesn't tear up you car seats. My M1A mag still goes in my back pocket. I am still looking for a shotshell holder, I added a side saddle and butstock saddle to the mossberg, which has been fine for the local shoots I have been doing.
    Most people will show/lend you equipment to try at matches. It also is great since you can see, learn and try out the different pieces, save you from buying something and then determining it just will not work for you.

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    If you go with the Safariland ELS system, measure wherever you wear your belt and add two inches. Worked out perfect for me. I am running a Blackhawks Serpa holster for my USP and SIG 228, clipped on the belt, works great. I bought the 773 mag holders from the ELS system, no problems there. I am running the AP Customs shotshell holders, quality stuff!

I am still deciding what to do for a rifle mag holder. Safariland does not recommend using their brand for PMAGs but should work great for the metal variety depending on what you have.

If you run PMAGs and you find a good option, please report back. For now I have been carrying them in my back pockets with no issues at all.

If you're gonna go try 3 Gun, be prepared to support a new vice! It's the most fun I've had shooting a gun.

GarandTeed

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [*]How do I measure for a gun belt, is it just like measuring for my regular belt waist size plus 4 inches? (I'm a 36 waist so I think I need a 40 inch belt)
    I wear a 36 pant in the real work and a 40" CR Speed Double Alpha Belt. 38" works but longer is better IMHO.

[*]what brand of belt? (I am leaning towards the Safariland ELS system)

I use DA and CR Speed in conjunction with blade tech trek locks. I'm still not a fan of that Safariland basket weave 1980's LEO belt look. Nor am I a fan of how the ELS system locks your attachments into certain places.

[*]what holster should I use? (I plan to shoot a G19 unless I should by another gun :rockwoot:)

I run about 8 different BladeTech Black Ice with drop and offset attachments.

[*]how many of each type of pouch will I need?

Most of the time you will only need one mag pouch. But having two is not a bad idea. I run the BladeTech Competition pouches. Anything will works long as they hold you mag securely. 3 gun requires more full speed long distance running compared to any of the other shooting sports so retention is king.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom