• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This will touch on some of the things that have been said in the other thread that was talking about RO’s and SO’s. That thread shifted on to other topics than the OP was asking. I didn’t want to squat in that thread so I started a new one.

A little history first Wife and I started shooting leagues in Bullseye’s indoor range in the late 80’s and we shot at a couple of non sanctioned clubs for the first year. We along with a friend that had a local gun shop started our own shoots on a friends property that went on for a year or two. We started shooting at the local USPSA club and after a year or so we were asked to if we would be interested it running the club (pistol side only). So wife and I took over the running of that club. We ran that club for five years or so.

This club was one of the biggest ranges in the state at that time and while we were running it we hosted the Ind. State match every year and the last match we ran at the club was the 1997 Area 5 match. I ended up being the match director for reasons I won’t go into here.

We quit shooting not long after this match and I started again about 18 months ago after a 14 or 15 year break. Wife lost interest but supports me and is always at the range with me videoing and harassing any one she can.

The reason I post my background is so I can try to explain the things I have seen or felt.

When we were running the club we had a TEAM that helped with everything, scoring, setup, etc. I have watched many shooters/helpers burnout and I have felt this also as I burned out and walked away from one of my proudest accomplishments, building the club up to the level it was at drawing 70-75 shooters a month and hosting some major matches.( in fact the then USPSA president said we would host the following years limited nationals after seeing the area 5 match first hand).

After getting back into shooting it was only a couple of matches until I had a timer back in my hands and doing what I used to do. A lot has changed with new divisions and rules but I still know the basics. I have found squads that I enjoy shooting with and split the timer duty with the other RO. I run the score sheets but I suck at it as I shoot revolver and can only count to 6.:D

I paste and reset steel with the best of them.

This is MY opinion and MY opinion only and is presented for discussion only.

First off “volunteer” is a word that I use and I’m starting to hate. Some say this a “volunteer” sport and if you mean no one is getting paid you are correct. This is NOT a “volunteer” work sport. It is a mandatory work sport. The other post mentioned pasting targets was a “volunteer” effort also, it is NOT a “volunteer” effort. If the pasting doesn’t get done the shoot stops.

There are some shooters that have health problems and are older and can’t do the work any more, that I don’t have a problem with. A new shooter should also tag along with a experienced shooter for a couple of stages so he get a chance to see how to paste(waiting to make sure it has been scored).

All RO’s are different and all RO’s make mistakes just as all shooters are different and they also make mistakes.

I have been robbed by RO’s and I have been handed gifts by RO’s so I guess it all equals out in the end. I’m sure as a RO I have unintentionally robbed shooters and I know I have given gifts. What I do try to do is score everyone the same. My friend gets the same scoring as the lazy shooter that never helps paste or reset steel.(Sometimes it's not easy to do that).

The other thread had comments about RO’s getting to shoot free or at a reduced rate. This is not compensation for the work they do it is enticement from the clubs to get RO’s. (IMO) I mean lots of shooters drive 1 or 2 hours to go to a shoot and shoot $30+ in ammo with several hundred or thousand dollars of equipment do you really think saving $15 is that big a deal. I know a couple of RO’s that it helps them out but for most that isn’t it.

Let me tell you what the RO is getting for that $15 in case some have forgot.

You get to stand all day in the hot sun and rain and cold weather with no gloves on. (while the rest of the squad is in the shade drinking water and talking shooting and other cool stuff waiting to paste targets)

You get to make sure the shooter doesn’t break any rules that will hurt anyone or give them an advantage over the other shooters.

You get to score their targets and make sure they are scored correctly so the shooter gets his deserved score.

You get to make judgment calls that will **** off a shooter.

You get to help a new shooter settle down and be safe.:yesway:

You get to DQ a friend that doesn’t think he deserves it.

You get to look down the muzzle of a gun when a shooter makes a BIG mistake.

You get to yell at the squad to remind them that the targets need pasted and steel reset.

You get to hand the timer to someone else when it’s your turn to shoot so you can now focus on shooting a good match. HA HA.:rolleyes:

All of this for only $15 dollars what a deal.

(FYI I have been helping RO for the last 18 months and have shot at the RO rate 1 time the rest of the time I have been helping and paying full price.)

So why would anyone do all that for $15 ?????

Because someone has to if we want our sport to survive.

I was as burned out as they come and I hated to pick up a timer again but I’m smart enough to understand that it HAS TO BE DONE by someone.

Everyone wants to go to a shoot and visit and enjoy the day and concentrate on their shooting and get their game face on. But look at the guy running the timer and score sheets and think when I’m done shooting I should get the timer or clipboard give him a break so they can get ready to shoot.

I guarantee he will be there running that timer for more years if you give him a break once in a while and help them out.

Some have never run a timer or run the score sheets that is not a problem ask the RO or scorekeeper to show you what is going on and ask them to let you try it and ask them to stay close to make sure you do it correctly. I don’t know anyone that would object to you learning to do it. Once you learn the ropes and get some experience volunteer to RO 1 month and tell the match director that you are trying it for the first time and he will put you with someone else that will help you be safe and fair to the shooters.

The number of shooters has went up lately with all the new gun buyers and will probably go up again when ammo gets more available. As the matches grow we will need new blood to help setup, RO, score, etc. or their will be lots more people burnout and leave.

Sorry for the long rant but my tongue was bleeding from biting it in the other thread.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    It reminds me of having a boat, everybody wanted to go tubing or fishing, but nobody had time to clean up afterward. And many never had any gas money.
    I think if others on your squad don't want to pitch in and physically help, then they could at least pay your fees or give you the ammo to compete. Maybe even buy you a beer at the end of the day, but at least say thanks.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    Great post! I agree with you a 100%! I usually RO every time I shoot somewhere. Be it USPSA, 3 gun or steel. Sometimes I pay, sometimes I don't. Just depends if the MD offers to waive the fee. It's not necessary to me to get a free shoot, but it is a nice way of saying "thanks". I don't mind RO'ing & like to stay busy, but it is nice to get a break a few shooters before I'm on deck so I can get my mojo on for that next stage.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Come on Paul! The pasting volunteer thing was mine......I guess I've been around too many squads where it's defintely viewed as an "optional" thing:laugh::laugh:

As to RO/SOs and so forth shooting free or reduced, I agree. I don't think anyone RO/SOs just to shoot for free- and hope nobody views them doing it for that purpose. All the same, I'm glad to see they catch a break somewhere with something.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Awesome post Paul. I'm relatively new to the shooting sports world, a 1 yr veteran. I did the RO class over the winter, because I saw the same people at every club RO'ing. I figured if I could help out every once in a while, that would help share the load.

Since I took the class, I've become heavily involved with stage design as well. I'm beginnig to understand how much work MD's, RO's, etc, put into this sport. It is a work sport!

I can see how frustration could come about when some people are strictly "consumers".

I'll just say that the more I help out, the more I learn, and the better I get.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm worried that we didn't let the o.p. have a long enough time to enjoy his well deserved vacation from the labor side of shooting. Rumor has it that he is thinking about an open gun.

Great thread!!!!!

A side note, and just my opinion. When you have enough people who step up to help the burn out factor goes way down and the fun factor goes way up. Sometimes I'll be on a squad where the pasters are a force to be reckoned with and 3 to five people are there to share s.o./scorekeeper duties. Things go from very taxing on a couple folks to just fun. If you can help and bs and get your head right before you shoot and even have opportunity for frills like cold water and urination, then it is all just a good time.

Other side note.
    The guy who runs the steels match at my club sent out a rant email recently regarding match help / set up /tear down/ safety rules and etc..
    It is a $5.00 entry fee match and the work required is minimal compared to IPSC or IPDA.
    A couple folks came back at him and said they were shooting for fun and didn't come there to work . . . . . .

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Good post. I wish I knew the answer. This has really put the pressure on a lot of small trap clubs to close. The shooters see themselves as "customers" of where the event is held, rather than club volunteers. In their way of seeing it, they're pressed for time and cash for recreation, and sometimes may think they're doing the place a favor just by showing up and spending their money.

Eventually, the "family act" who puts on the shoots as a labor of love gets tired, retires, the club closes, and that's it.

I do think it helps to outline suggested help duties in your match bulletin. Some people who are willing to help may not always be "Type A" personalities. Letting people know up front how they can help can do wonders.

Where you shoot this weekend, don't forget to thank your range officer!

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guys,
    I've walked a mile in your shoes. Match directors and RO's are welcome to attend FNS, and all you have to do is shoot and have fun; no "volunteering" required.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    So right and a great post. I almost always RO. In fact I bet I RO'd every match I went to (3-4 a month) for 5 straight years or so. If it ain't the timer it's the scoresheet. I know I suffered serious burnout about 2 years ago. I just wanted to show up and shoot, but that is just not possible.

I have often wondered what the reaction would be if I just picked someone to teach and kinda forced the learning on them in a nice way. Hmmmmmm, that's got me thinking. Although, at the clubs I attend regularly, most everyone is an RO and the timer gets passed around a good bit.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Awesome post Paul. I'm relatively new to the shooting sports world, a 1 yr veteran. I did the RO class over the winter, because I saw the same people at every club RO'ing. I figured if I could help out every once in a while, that would help share the load.

Since I took the class, I've become heavily involved with stage design as well. I'm beginnig to understand how much work MD's, RO's, etc, put into this sport. It is a work sport!

I can see how frustration could come about when some people are strictly "consumers".

I'll just say that the more I help out, the more I learn, and the better I get.

Chad every match director in the state would love to have 2 or 3 new shooters like you get in the sport every year. If that happened we wouldn't have a problem with people that burnout.:yesway:

On a serious note when we first met at South Central last spring and we started talking it was fun to rag on you(Wife thought your name was ALPHA MIKE because that is mostly what we heard when scoring your targets) and try to slow you down it was something I did all those years ago with new shooters that came to the club. It reminded me of the fun side of the sport. It is great seeing your results get better.
    I do have one more shooting tip for you though.
    DO NOT TRY REVOLVER DIVISION:D
    Stay where you are in bottom feeder class:yesway:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    For the most part, I've been a part of good squads that do their fair share of pasting and helping out. Generally, I share a squad with my brother. Sometimes, we are the only RO's on the squad. There have been times when we had to show people how to score on the run at a match. I can honestly say I enjoy it, but there are times when I just want to shoot. I made the mistake when I was in Wisconsin, letting them know I was an RO. So guess who got a squad on his first trip to a range. I saw it more of an issue up there as I seen it here at home. Most of those guys just want to shoot and go home. I ended up helping erect stages, RO, and tear down at a place I've never been before. The only person I knew was Tom Palmer (old blue's twin from Old School..lol) and he put me right to work. I guess it is a good thing that some know you are a "worker" but also a bad thing. It is bad he was trusting me with things before he was his own "people."

I can honestly say I was happy to get back here and shoot with people I knew were willing to do the work (on our squads anyway) for the most part. I remember showing up at Riley or Atlanta when there would only be 4 or 5 show up. Now there is a really good support at both clubs. I don't feel guilty working nights and not being able to help with set up much anymore. It does take that match fee incentive for some to help out, for myself or my brother, I don't care either way. Right now, I enjoy shooting with everyone and meeting new people. If you are new to a match, absorb it for a few matches, then ask to help with a clipboard...it isn't too bad...you just have to count up to 32 at most and know where to right the time that the RO will call out. That helps a ton.

sorry if this is choppy, I blame the valium and percocet :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It reminds me of having a boat, everybody wanted to go tubing or fishing, but nobody had time to clean up afterward. And many never had any gas money.
    I think if others on your squad don't want to pitch in and physically help, then they could at least pay your fees or give you the ammo to compete. Maybe even buy you a beer at the end of the day, but at least say thanks.

You had to remind me of the boating days..........:):

Folks take far to much for granted.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I'm worried that we didn't let the o.p. have a long enough time to enjoy his well deserved vacation from the labor side of shooting. Rumor has it that he is thinking about an open gun.

Already have a open and limited gun but they are old and outdated just like me. I'm retired and can't afford to leave that 38 super brass lay on the ground anymore. We always picked up each others brass years ago. That is still a shock to me seeing everyone leave it lay.
    Yes I'm willing to buy the open gun in question if it ever goes up for sale just because it is 9 mm and brass is a lot cheaper. I have no intentions of going to open class as I'm having way to much fun with the revolver.

Great thread!!!!!

A side note, and just my opinion. When you have enough people who step up to help the burn out factor goes way down and the fun factor goes way up. Sometimes I'll be on a squad where the pasters are a force to be reckoned with and 3 to five people are there to share s.o./scorekeeper duties. Things go from very taxing on a couple folks to just fun. If you can help and bs and get your head right before you shoot and even have opportunity for frills like cold water and urination, then it is all just a good time.

In a perfect world that would be every match.:yesway:

Other side note.
    The guy who runs the steels match at my club sent out a rant email recently regarding match help / set up /tear down/ safety rules and etc..
    It is a $5.00 entry fee match and the work required is minimal compared to IPSC or IPDA.
    A couple folks came back at him and said they were shooting for fun and didn't come there to work . . . . . .

I dealt with several shooters like that over the years and trust me he is better off telling them they are not welcome if they don't help. It keeps his blood pressure and that of the rest of the shooters down and he will never miss them.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Great thread!!!!!

Other side note.

:+1:

To the steel folks- :facepalm:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Uspsa/ipsc is like every other club. 5% of the population does 95% of the work. A lot of people don't realize how much time and energy it takes to run and maintain a club.

Many of us don't do the work so that other shooters can enjoy it. We do it because we want to have a fun match to shoot. As soon as it stops being fun for us, it doesn't take long before match quality starts to suffer...

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    People who show up early to help set-up eventually wind up with a timer in hand. Generally they don't set out to be RO's. These are the same people who coach youth sports, run Boy Scout Troops, Lions Club's, chaperon school trips, GUN CLUBS, or any other community activity. They all share the same characteristic. They see where work needs to be done and they pitch in. A match fee isn't what drives these people.

By the same token,shooting free does not make them "paid professionals". They don't want parades or brass plaques, but it would be nice if the competitors at a local Saturday match would cut them some slack.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For most on this forum, this is preaching to the choir.......

1) Many hands make light work.

If you are a regular shooter, you should have at least 1 club where you are regularly involved in making the match happen. If you are shooting a lot and never swing a hammer or lift a wall, you need to ask yourself why. Because the folks doing it now may eventually decide the fun derived from the shooting no longer outweighs the effort it takes.

2) people need to stop thinking of their match fee as purchasing a service (setup, RO'ing, pasting, etc). The fees are to re-emburse the club for targets/pasters/paint/steel/props and NOT so someone else can bust hump for their pleasure. You're buying material, NOT material + labor.

When a club chooses to let "staff" shoot free/discounted, they are really saying they are bringing in enough funds to cover the consumable materials and are letting you trash their targets and use their pasters and pound on their steel for free in exchange for putting the material out on the range. If a club chooses to let me shoot at a discounted rate because I worked, that's great and I appreciate it. But I don't expect it. If charged full price I will do the same level of work (should I admit that publicly? oops!). I want to shoot quality matches, and I want to help make that happen.

Frankly, in what I invest/donate in materials, I probably spend more than my match discount anyways. I never feel I'm coming way out ahead. If I didn't get to shoot, it would take much more than $15-$20 to get me to spend 8hrs running a timer in the sun on match day, plus an hr or two ahead of time designing a stage and working on any special props, plus a couple hrs after the match doing scores. That breaks down to what, under $2/hr... that's not even figuring usually I buy my own staples, zip ties, screws, duct tape, gas for additional trips to the range for setup, etc.

3) Now we can't all do that at every match we shoot. There's a typical expectation that if you have a long drive to a club, you aren't going to be showing up too early to set up or staying too late to make sure every last target stick is stored away. It's good to get a bit of a break now and then (though RO'ing/teardown still almost always happen. Just because I pick up a timer or a box of pasters I don't expect a discount either, that's just part of shooting a match, imo).

4) We all have other considerations in life. Kids. Jobs. Churches. Families. etc. Those will impact our ability to help, and over the years our availability will ebb/flow. I just hit an anniversary milestone at work, so I'm hoping next yr to be able to put some of the additional vacation time into the state matches, for instance.

-rvb

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I've only shot 2 matches. My first ever I helped with some setup and tear down. The second helped with tear down.

I can only imagine how frustrating it can get of watching almost everyone drive off, while your tearing down, for years.

Top Bottom