• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Some people have asked about what kind of gear you need for 3/multi-gun matches. There have been a few posts here and there, but maybe one KISS thread is in order.

First, let's assume you have the gear to go to a USPSA, IDPA, or Steel match - belt, good OWB holser, a few magazine holders. Let's also assume you own an AR with sights you can use and a 12 or 20 ga shotgun.

Now...

• Rifle
      • Magazines - two (2) 30 rd magazines will get you through most stages. Three is not a bad idea. As long as they function in your gun is all that matters.
      • Magazine pouches - You should have at least one AR mag pouch. A nylon pouch from California Comp Works will run you $14 from Brownells. A kydex version from Blade-Tech also available from Brownells will run you $25
    • Shotgun
      • Magazine extension tube - You'll need a +4 or +5 extension for your shotgun. I like and use one made by Nordic Components that runs $80 that gives my Benelli 8+1 capacity. Dave's Metal Works, Choate and Briley make them for Remington, Benelli and Winchester/Browning.
      • Holding the shells - here are your options
        • On your belt - I like and use California Comp Works Speed Strippers. $24/ea at Brownells. You should have 3-4 of these.
        • Dump Pouch - A Maxpedition RollyPoly is a simple and effective way to handle at least a box of 12 ga and also can work as a rifle pouch, also available for $25/ea. I wonder who might have some? :D
        • Side Saddle - I like and use the ones made by 3gungear.com/Buchanan Bag Works. You can get one from Dillon Precision for $24/ea You want the elastic loop kind, not hard plastic - trust me on this.
        • Arm - also from 3gungear.com/Buchanan - $24
    So, where are we to get started?

• Rifle mag pouch...$14
    • Shotgun magazine extension tube...$80
    • Side saddle - $24
    • Dump bag - $25
    That adds up to $143. Now, before anyone says "that's a lot of money to spend on gear for a game!" just hold on. This is rock solid gear that you should own along with your guns in the first place. These things are practical. They make sense to own - game or not.

Now, go get the gear, grab your blasters and go have some fun, learn something and sharpen your skills (yes, I said sharpen your skills.) Right now over 1/2 of the marksmanship training and lessons being taught by the Army Marksmanship Unit to our troops were born in 3-gun/mult-gun competition.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    well thought out and relevant, dave. i agree completely. i know that both of us have much more than $143 invested in 3gun gear, but this kiss approach will take you along way. this gear would serve anyone famously for entry level, even intermediate level 3gunnery.

reps tried and the system wouldn't let me. yet.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    so let's see some pics of what you shoot

I've posted this before.

3gunrig.jpg

Gear relevant to this conversation

2. 3gungear.com 8-shot side saddle
    10. Magazine extension tube (that's the factory tube)
    4. Calfornia Comp Works Speed Stripper (6rd model, 4 also available)
    6. 3gungear.com ballistic nylon magazine holders (double shown, singles also available)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Smallest caliber is 9x19 for autos, 38 Special for revolvers.

And minimum power factor for rifle is 150 (speed in ft/sec X bullet weight in grains / 1000). No .22LR will even come close.

As an aside, all of us fully understand the costs involved in shooting centerfire calibers and the savings afforded by shooting .22LR. However, "practical" shooting sports have roots in the martial use of weapons, so only centerfires are appropriate and allowed. That's just the way it is.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    And minimum power factor for rifle is 150 (speed in ft/sec X bullet weight in grains / 1000). No .22LR will even come close.

As an aside, all of us fully understand the costs involved in shooting centerfire calibers and the savings afforded by shooting .22LR. However, "practical" shooting sports have roots in the martial use of weapons, so only centerfires are appropriate and allowed. That's just the way it is.

I understand the reasons but no one that tells you that .22 aren't practical in real life will let me shoot them with mine..... not even one time.:D

When I'm watching Forensic files I can't tell you how many of the people have been killed with a .22

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I understand the reasons but no one that tells you that .22 aren't practical in real life will let me shoot them with mine..... not even one time.:D

When I'm watching Forensic files I can't tell you how many of the people have been killed with a .22

Ronald Reagan was nearly killed with a .22, but a bigger caliber would likely have done the job. The bullet stopped one inch or less from his heart.

A .22 in the tear duct will make a stop, but it takes a cool hand in a high pressure situation.

Top Bottom