• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    Looking for some info on shooting competitions for kids. I have a daughter that is a true blue softball player but, has a medical condition that is going to cut her softball career short. She really enjoys shooting and is pretty competive but doen't get to shoot very often so i'm afraid if I take her to a shooting competition she will get descourged if she doesn't do well. She is 12 and can be very emotional at times, any info or sites I can go to to get her started?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If you have a couple of .22 rifles, you and your daughter should look at a Project Appleseed.

Not a competition, but you are competing against yourself to earn a Riflemans Badge. It's a great program for adults and kids.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There are similar stories out there about kids that are very passionate about sports but have had to give up their chosen sport for one reason or another. They were able to find a lot of enjoyment in the shooting sports like sporting clays, trap, skeet and IDPA, USPSA and the like. I would look to the NSSF (National Shooting Sport Foundation) web site, they should have a lot of information there. Project Appleseed is great and so is just some time in the trap range. Take her to a few competitions and let her see if any strikes her fancy.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I would highly recommend SCSA for her. She can use compete in GSSF with a .22 at low ready or use a .22 carbine and compete in that division. I have RO's girls as young as 7 and from a safety standpoint you would have zero concerns. Not sure where you are located, but I highly recommend Atlanta Conservation Club and their monthly SCSA match.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    SSGSAD is right. Check with your local 4H and sign her up with the 4H shooting sports program. She'll be with other kids and will have a blast.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not sure where you are located, but I'd strongly encourage you to check out the Juniors 22 rifle program at Marion County Fish and Game. Tony is the guy that used to run it, and students under his instruction have become national champions and received college scholarships. For someone willing to put in the time, he could make them a shooter.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Looking for some info on shooting competitions for kids. I have a daughter that is a true blue softball player but, has a medical condition that is going to cut her softball career short. She really enjoys shooting and is pretty competive but doen't get to shoot very often so i'm afraid if I take her to a shooting competition she will get descourged if she doesn't do well. She is 12 and can be very emotional at times, any info or sites I can go to to get her started?

We're better able to get you started when we know a little better where you live & areas you're willing to travel. All kinds of opportunities, but location helps us help you!

sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    We live in Morgan county I would like to stay relatively close to home, she has a Henry lever action 22 and she has just resently started shooting a 12 gauge. Her grandma has given her a Wolf muzzle loader also, she started hunting with me last year and is excited to go this year. I will look into the 4h deal and the Appleseed. Thanks for info.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    My daughter (who just turned 12) has been shooting for a couple of years now. She competes in Steel Challenge, Rimfire Madness, Bowling Pins and USPSA. I would say take your daughter to a few different kinds of matches and see what interests her. Mine is now wanting a shotgun so she can do a 3-gun match.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have you considered some defensive handgun training? My 2 oldest girls had a ball with it last year and learned useful skills too.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Seriously consider going to Marion County Fish & Game for Friday Night Steel. I live in Bartholomew Co and travel up there for these matches. They truly are for all ages and run year around. That's a great "starter" program for the shooting sports. I enjoyed what I found there so much that (with their blessing) I started the Steel Valley match @ Hoosier Hills Rifle & Pistol Club (my local club in Barth / Brown Co) & it's been a hit! Both matches have men, women, kids, families show up and get a chance to see and learn from those in their Squad.

The next FNS is next Friday, Sept 27th. I expect to be there, plus typically bring one or two ppl with me.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    +1 for Appleseed. There are several coming up in your area in October:
    October 5th there is a 1-day event at Marion County Fish and Game (~30minutes from Monrovia). As of right now, there are exactly TWO tickets available
    October 5th & 6th there is an event in Seelyville (~1 hour drive). Lots of open spots and a great facility.
    October 26th & 27th there is an event in Cloverdale (~20 minutes drive). Plenty of open spots, close to home, and another great place to shoot!

Instructors always have spare equipment to loan if you're missing anything on the list (including rifles and ammo).

Appleseed is a family friendly event that teaches foundational skills that will apply to virtually every other shooting sport. We also tell the story of April 19,1775 in way that touches the heart and soul. We talk about men, women, and even children that laid their lives on the line for us, their posterity. The Quick & Dirty Army Qualification Test is the anvil upon which we forge Riflemen. The AQT is a deceptively simple target that uses reduced size silhouettes to simulate various ranges out to 400 yards. You and your daughter will learn proper sling use, three traditional field shooting positions, steady hold factors, the 6 steps to firing a shot, natural point of aim, rifleman's cadence, IMC, and plenty more! There's a lot of info packed into one weekend, but it's a good time and a relaxed atmosphere. Anyone that earns the Rifleman's patch proves their ability to shoot better than 99% of their fellow Americans.

Hope to see you on the line soon.

PS: Appleseed is also a great gateway drug. Get 'em hooked in a safe friendly atmosphere and then let 'em progress into any other shooting sport with confidence.

Top Bottom