• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    I am new to INGunowners and have been thinking of starting some competitive shooting in the next year or so. Most interested in IDPA for now, not to big on race guns but practical shooting with practical gear appeals to me. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get started in the sport? :ar15:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    for IDPA.... a concealed carry type holster... and a single mag pouch.... i havent shot in this yet though... uspsa... have shot yet either... but a holster that covers the trigger guard.... and four mag pouchs.... for most events you should have at least 5 magazines and bring plenty of ammo to start with... you never know.... do a search in this forum and you will find a wealth of info... read all the threads start to finish and i bet most of your questions will be answered.... i am really surprised that others havent responded yet... there are some people on this board way more qualified to answer your questions than myself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am new to INGunowners and have been thinking of starting some competitive shooting in the next year or so. Most interested in IDPA for now, not to big on race guns but practical shooting with practical gear appeals to me. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get started in the sport? :ar15:

We (Adaptive Consulting and Training) are hosting another of our Introduction to Competition Shooting classes tomorrow (18APR09) if you are interested. The focus is USPSA-style shooting, but all of the skills and much of the rest are applicable to IDPA and similar sports as well.

You can see more in this topic: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tion_shooting_-_greencastle_in_-_18apr09.html

Feel free to contact us at:

aron@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com
    joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get started in the sport? :ar15:

Very basic equipment to start in either practical shooting sport....

-eyes/ear protection.

-9mm or larger pistol or revolver. Bring what you have to a local match and I promise you'll be allowed to shoot to get started. If by chance it's not an approved model you can use the match as an opportunity to find what you'd like to get (same goes for all the gear) by asking around or asking to try other people's gear.

-4 mags.

-150 rounds of ammo

-A safe holster (holds the gun securely and covers the trigger).

-A long shirt or jacket for idpa.

You can put your mags in your pants pockets if you don't have mag holders.

Use your first couple of matches to ask around and find out what works and what is legal before buying a lot of gear.

idpa.com and uspsa.org have info on local club's locations and schedules.

don't be afraid to tell people "it's my first time and I don't know what's going on." Especially tell that to the guys running the timers.

when you're starting don't worry about scores. even the best shooters were new once. safety, fun, scores, in that order.

no one ever won a match or a gunfight by being the fastest to holster a gun... take your time when instructed to load. always be aware of your muzzle and trigger finger. (it sounds obvious, but that buzzer does funny things to your brain).

cold range: Arrive with your pistols unloaded (including no mag in the gun, do not have it cocked). Only holster up or handle the gun (without ammo!) in the "safe areas." If unsure where to holster up or handle your gun, ask around. For a carry gun, I just stow it in the car when I leave home vs having it on my person (or you can remove your rig in the car before you get to the range)... just don't be at the match with a hot gun on you.

have fun!!

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    couple of other thoughts...

...have been thinking of starting some competitive shooting in the next year or so.

In the next year or so? What are you doing this weekend. I've known lots of guys who've been telling me for years that maybe they'll start in the next year... and I never see them on the range.

Most interested in IDPA for now, not to big on race guns but practical shooting with practical gear appeals to me.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by predetermining which game is for you... Try them both!!

The games are more alike than different, especially in the last few years with the USPSA production and single-stack divisions. Rule of thumb is if the gear is legal for idpa, it is legal for uspsa (often very competitive, even). I use almost the same gear in IDPA SSP as I do in USPSA Production except a slightly different belt/holster rig.

I'll caution you to expect "tactical training" from either game. They are both excellent tests of "practical shooting skills," and that's all.

-rvb

AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    thanks

Thanks for some direction, both of you aside from initial start up costs (weapons, equipment and ammo) what kind if expenses should I expect (i.e range fees, tournament entrance fees, etc...)?:twocents:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks for some direction, both of you aside from initial start up costs (weapons, equipment and ammo) what kind if expenses should I expect (i.e range fees, tournament entrance fees, etc...)?:twocents:

Local matches are typically $15-25 + ~100 rounds of ammo.
    Bigger matches are typically $75-$150 + ~$200 rounds of ammo.
    Add in the cost of travel (gas and maybe hotel if you travel far for a big match) and that's about all it costs.

Getting to practice is what takes $. Membership at a couple of clubs + however much ammo you shoot + gas money to get to the range. That's just how ever much you want to dedicate...

A reloader (such as Dillon 550 or 650) is a big start-up item, but will pay for itself soon if you shoot much. My 550 and related equipment paid for itself in about 15 months, and that's comparing the 147gr 9mms I was reloading to walmart white box 115s.

-rvb

Top Bottom