Want to try 3 Gun - need some advice please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Hey y'all, I need some help from the 3 Gunners out there. I want to try this next year, and the only gun I don't have is a rifle. Got some questions and I'm hoping some of the guys that shoot local can chime in.

Would I be better off waiting till I go to a local match and talking with some of the guys there before looking & buying? Being completely new to AR's, I can't hardly even tell the difference other than barrel length and brand name. I feel like the research I've done has just made me more confused, but I think i'm starting to understand a few things. I am planning on talking to a buddy of mine who has built two AR's, but he's not a competitive shooter FWIW.

I'd really like to get one before I shoot a match, just to familiarize myself with the rifle and shoot it some. If I did buy one before that (which I want to, money's burning a hole in my pocket lol), am I throwing my money away by not buying a 3 Gun specific rifle? I realize everybody says run what ya got, but I kinda want to at least start on the right path. I haven't really been able to handle one of those, only basic carbines so far. Some of the purpose-built 3 Gun rifles are within my budget (budget is $1000-1500 w/o an optic, not sure what I'm going to do there as of yet), but I'm not sure I want to buy one without handling it. I don't want to really hamstring myself (I'm not that good a shooter to begin with) buying a carbine length if the rifle itself has trouble making the shots needed. I looked up some info on the local matches (Indiana Multigun), and they shoot anywhere from 50 to 600 yards.

If I did buy a carbine length gun, got any recommendations for quality manufacturers? Something that I can build on and it not collapse on me in a few years?

Any and all advice welcome and appreciated! Thanks y'all!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Don't bother wasting money on a purpose built 3 gun rifle. Unless and until you are serious, just go out and buy something reliable. I've been running a M-4 copy Bushmaster for 3 years now. I have no problems reaching out and touching that 8 inch plate at 300 yards with it. You'll be better off with a good optic than you will be spending more than you need to for the rifle. You will probably never need to reach out to 600 yards unless you start shooting 3 gun nation matches. Locally, 300 yds is the practical limit that you'll see. Longer than that, and most guys just don't have the optics or aren't running 18-24 in barrels needed to reach farther than that. Most of the local matches don't have anything longer than 300 yds anyway. One site hosting INMG matches doesn't even have a bay where we can get much over 50 yds.

Buy a rifle to get you going and have fun. Once you decide that you REALLY want to do this, then spend your money on upgrades that you think you want. You will try lots of different gear and configurations before you find what you like and really need. Lots of that go fast "tacticool" stuff doesn't work for crap or slows you down instead of speeding you up. KISS is the rule of the day.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    The most important thing when deciding upon any gun is what is its intended purpose. Once you've decided that then the choices become less complicated. If your main goal for this rifle is to shoot 3 Gun then I would not buy a standard carbine. You don't have to go hog wild but I'd recommend buying something with a mid length or rifle length gas system, a free float handguard, and a good trigger. Many of the "Purpose Built" 3 Gun Rifles offered by various manufacturers have features that are very desirable for any use, not just 3 Gun matches. If you decide you do really want to get into 3 Gun then you can easily upgrade that rifle as far as you want to go. If you decide that 3 Gun is not for you then you still have a very serviceable weapon for other pursuits.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'd start out with a 16" midlength with a free float tube and a nice trigger, like stated above. I'd also suggest keeping it light, get a light handguard, no need for a quad rail if you dont need it, get a LW barrel, etc. Most of all, get what you want. No point in getting a rifle you don't want, just so you can shoot 3 gun. I actually shoot a 16" middy with DD Omega X and a standard trigger. I have been working on upgrades here and there, but you'll see all kinds of different rifles out there, in the end its up to you.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Interesting thread,

I'm in about the same situation. Have a good pistol and shotgun for 3 gun, but haven't gotten the rifle yet. I am thinking about just running my AK next year at a few matches and talk to the regulars to see what they run before I buy...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Typical dedicated 3-gun AR isn't much special.... a 16-18" free floated barrel (18" if you want rifle gas, 16" for carbine or middy) and good comp. If you want to go all out include a lightened recoil system (bolt carrier and buffer) and adjustable gas. No completely right answer. Just look at the variation among the top guys.... all sorts of comps, all sorts of stocks, etc.

avoid super heavy stuff (eg HBAR barrels, 4x rail systems, etc).

-rvb

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    If you already own a rifle and are wanting to try 3 Gun then by all means run what you have and then later if you decide you really like 3 Gun you may consider getting something different. If however, you do not own a rifle and your main reason for getting one is to try 3 Gun then buy a rifle that is more suited to that activity in the first place.

That's my :twocents:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i ran a few a events the season before last, got busy with other things last year, did to get around to shooting any events. i ran a smith and wesson m&p 15 16" barrel with aimpoint red dot. it did everything i needed it to do. i have taken this rifle out to 500 yards at atterbury and scored hits on a "D" silhouette target at that distance using iron sights, plenty enough for me. i had built the rifle for just all around fun shooting and it worked well for 3 gun. thinking about running a match this year using the garand.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Thanks for the input y'all! Gave me some confirmation of my own thoughts and the argument I'm having with myself. Follow-up question for any of ya - would a guy brand new to AR's be able to notice the difference between gas systems? Just curious more than anything.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you shot a carbine, middy, and rifle side by side, all things the same, probably. If you just picked one up you probably wouldn't notice if it was over gassed, or heavy on the recoil. When choosing as a newbie, you can really only go off the words of others until you are more familiar. I would say a 16" middy with and right size gas port and a nice comp is the softest shooter, but someone else might have a different opinion.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    any idea which division you want to run? any general purpose light weight rifle that runs reliably with a low power zoom (true 1x) and a decent trigger will serve you well. i've competed with a full out race gun to a stock lightweight carbine and had good results and big fun with all of them.

I think that even more important than any gear decisions is to shoot some pistol matches to see how the game is played.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    any idea which division you want to run? any general purpose light weight rifle that runs reliably with a low power zoom (true 1x) and a decent trigger will serve you well. i've competed with a full out race gun to a stock lightweight carbine and had good results and big fun with all of them.

I think that even more important than any gear decisions is to shoot some pistol matches to see how the game is played.
    Judging by the Indiana Multigun rules, I think Tactical Optics would be my best bet. My eyesight ain't so hot, I have focusing issues with irons sometimes. I'm definitely going to try USPSA as well and was hoping I could go to one of those before I tried Multigun. Thanks for the input!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm definitely going to try USPSA as well and was hoping I could go to one of those before I tried Multigun. Thanks for the input!

You've got 3 USPSA matches close to you. Ft Wayne, Warsaw, and Angola. Come spring Ft Wayne will be doing it's Thurs night practices if you want an informal introduction to the sport. Watch this forum for announcements.

The only reason to shoot pistol first before 3-gun is it is less gear to worry about while you're learning everthing else, otherwise, if 3G is what you really want to do, you don't need a stepping stone, just go do it.

-rvb

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Come spring Ft Wayne will be doing it's Thurs night practices if you want an informal introduction to the sport.

-rvb
    That sounds like a pretty good idea, I'll probably take you up on that. I don't have any competitive shooting experience, so the more exposure I can get the better.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I say just jump in. Steel, 3 gun, uspsa, whatever it is. I was worried at first to, but once I got out there everyone was patient with me and very helpful. They will show you their gear, explain why they use what they use, and a lot of times let you try it out as well. I know its nerve wrecking, but just jump in.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I say just jump in. Steel, 3 gun, uspsa, whatever it is. I was worried at first to, but once I got out there everyone was patient with me and very helpful. They will show you their gear, explain why they use what they use, and a lot of times let you try it out as well. I know its nerve wrecking, but just jump in.
    Definitely jumping in, no worries about that! Trying to keep myself from buying too much crap before I get a chance to learn from those who actually do it.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Welp, I pulled the trigger on a Stag 3G today! :rockwoot: I was at Hillside Shooting in Roanoke yesterday talking with Mike and Randy, thinking about buying a stock carbine and having them do a little work on it. Well, Mike found a Gunbroker listing from a dealer in Nebraska with a price that was hard to beat (he tried and couldn't find anywhere to get one through him), so I'm in for about $1320 plus transfer fee and I'll have a 3Gun ready rifle here in no time. Big +1 to Randy and Mike at Hillside for taking time to talk with me, and I'll definitely be back there soon!

Thanks for all the advice y'all, hope to meet some of you guys this spring!

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Congrats on the rifle. Now you have to find an optic and ammo, shotgun caddies, belt, mag extensions...It never ends.
    Lol, tell me about it! I've had enough trouble deciding on a rifle, let alone everything else that's gonna follow. Oh well, let the fun begin...

Top Bottom