• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diverjes06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    GREENWOOD
    I am considering getting an open gun in the (relatively) near future. I was wondering what caliber is most prevelant. I've heard most about 9 Major & 38 Super. I'm leaning more toward 9, since I already have the dies, etc to reload this caliber. I'm also looking for any other suggestions (sights, brand, etc). Any information would be appreciated.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    75% of the open guns I see are pretty much set up like a factory STI Trubor with some slide lightening. Check out their website for the specs.

That being said, Open is a serious commitment to the sport. Gun, mags, and ammo need to be set up properly in order to enjoy the division. There is a learning curve. Find a gunsmith close to you that you trust. I couldn't do open without my gunsmith. This year I completely broke my gun two times. Without his help, I would have been done for 6-8 weeks per event.

I've spent 9 months getting my backup gun, a Trubor, to function 100%. I think I've finally got it. Its going to get some slide cuts and refinished this winter.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you have an endless supply of cash 38 super comp, you will be buying brass
    9mm major if you don't, 9mm brass is still fairly inexpensive and can be found for sale everywhere

Open if a different beast and in order to get the benefits from it you need a gun set up just right
    Look at
    Akia Custom Guns
    Brazos
    Cameron Custom
    for big name builders

there is also a few local guys
    Allen M
    George H
    are two

Jim Anglin of Sailors Custom built my dad's 9mm major

and of course
    Dawson Precision for STI guns
    Shooters Connection for STI guns

a "off the shelf" STI open gun is going to need some tuning

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I simply called brazos, got a Trubor (38super) and asked him to look through it for reliability and tune if necessary (no idea if he did anything or not) and do a trigger job on the factory parts. Got some dies and started shooting. I "tuned" a couple mags... No fancy kit just a hammer and some patience. After running it for a while I decided I wanted a lighter slide so I put in under the drill press.

I went super vs 9 only because at least at the time, 9 was just gaining popularity and it seemed like everyone I knew w. 9s was having problems. My Trubor has been phenomenally reliable.... Something like 60k rounds and took me to master. No gunsmith on speed dial (though I was able to do some things myself like tweak mags, tune extractors, tweak slide stops and followers, fit FP stops, etc. Most of which was just so I could have spares on hand ready to drop in).

Maybe I just got lucky, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a simple Trubor to anyone, especially if you can get it from a known good tuner. (and you can usually get it in hand in days/weeks vs months from a custom builder).

As far as 9 vs super..... 9 is more popular since most folks are already set up to load for it and brass is cheaper. But if you can afford to get into open in the first place, then loosing 1-2k pieces of super or super comp brass per season at lost-brass matches isn't going to break the bank, especially if you get a few loadings out of the brass before you lose it. Cost per k averaged out isn't that significant. I haven't pd enough attention over the last 3-5 yrs to know if there is still a reliability advantage w. The longer cartridges... Id guess most of the major builders have 9 pretty well figured out....

-rvb

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Yep, a Trubore was my first Open gun. I also made Master shooting a bone stock Trubore because my Gan's custom was broke over the summer. It will not hold you back one bit and is a great way to go.

Top Bottom