Crossfit & USPSA Who would be interested in a match like this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    Who would be interested in trying a match similar to this? Should the focus be more on fitness or shooting or equal? How do you make it equal for all levels of fitness & shooting ability? Does anybody have any ideas for stages? I have been cross fitting for a year now & really enjoy it. Crossfitting has helped be become a better shooter & athlete. A lot of top shooters now incorporate Crossfit into their training. I would like to put a match on like this. I know my gym would help out with the equipment. I think keeping the match simple & not too over the top for the first one would be a good idea. Probably have a USPSA flair. Comments?

[video=youtube_share;v_YFl3s1Pyc]http://youtu.be/v_YFl3s1Pyc[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Dang, It seems like they ruined a good day of shooting with all that exercise.

Seriously though, it's an interesting concept. Too bad I'm nowhere near that level of fitness.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Not interested in running a mile ever again. I gave up running and lifting in 1992.

I would like a match that was a little more physically demanding, but with an emphasis on shooting. Climb a gate or fence, Rhodesian Wall, Move heavy dummies, Cooper tunnels that are not fat-old guy friendly (why would I be for that)

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    Not interested in running a mile ever again. I gave up running and lifting in 1992.

I would like a match that was a little more physically demanding, but with an emphasis on shooting. Climb a gate or fence, Rhodesian Wall, Move heavy dummies, Cooper tunnels that are not fat-old guy friendly (why would I be for that)

+1 Coach

A big **** that! I haven't been in a gym in over 10 years! Please don't bring the gym to the range! It would kill an old fat bastard like myself!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'd do it. I'd get my butt kicked because I've replace barbell curls with the 12oz variety, but I'd be down.

There should also be feats of strength. (Festivus joke, but seriously) deadlifts for bonus points!

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I would be down for something like this. I think that crazy steel stage from the treadmill sounds fun.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I could use this as an excuse to cancel my normal Sunday evening run!

Sounds fun to me, I'd def keep it on the simple side for the first one and see how it goes.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    I think keeping it fairly easy for the first one would be a good idea. Hey, there may be only one, nobody could show up! I think it's a great way to introduce shooters to fitness & cross fitters to shooting. There are guys at my gym who have little or experience shooting, but would love to try this. The two sports really go hand in hand, plus the benefits are two fold. One, you get in shape & develop a healthy lifestyle. Two, more importantly, you will be a faster & better shooter! The hardest part is trying to figure out how to make it "doable" for the average person & making the fitness vs. the shooting equally important for scoring. I think time only scoring is the best method. Plus I think all guns would have to be staged on tables or something. No way you could safely do some of the exercises / movements with a holstered gun. Couple ideas i have for stages. 1. Accuracy Stage: Target would be a bullseye type target. Round count would be Virginia. There would be three shooting stations to choose from. One at 7 yards, 15 yards & 30 yards. You would have to preform 10 deadlifts from what ever station you choose before you shot 10 rounds at the target. 7 yard station has 315lb barbell, 15 yard station has 225lb barbell & 30 yard station has 135lb barbell. You based on your strength or shooting ability you can pick whatever station you feel would best benefit you. Weights or distance could be whatever. That was just off the top of my head. 2. Running Stage: My club has a 100 yard bay & if i decide to use rifles in the match this would be cool. Rifle is unloaded in barrel. At start signal shooter must run 100 yards & hang their target. Run back & load rifle & shoot 2-4 rounds thru certain specified ports on a VTac barricade. Unload rifle into barrel, run back to retrieve target. Time stops when shooter crosses back at the start/finish line. Then the RO's don't have to go downrange to score targets! haha Just some ideas, but I'm pretty serious about hosting this match. I think it would be fun & a different twist on shooting.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is just me thinking out loud here but
    To take inexperienced people when it comes to guns, add in something very physical before hand and then have them "compete" with a firearm in something that is already challenging especially to someone that hasn't competed with a gun before might be bordering on unsafe.
    How many new shooters to a match have we seen get completely frustrated and start to become unsafe in gun handling trying to shoot a stage, a piece of steel etc, now add something physically demanding, muscle fatigue, disorientation to it and the results could be disastrous.

Top Bottom